Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50

Discontinuing “E-mail Address 2” (Sep. 28)

Updates
    Aug. 31, 2015 08:19 [GMT] From: PlayOnline
    Discontinuing “E-mail Address 2” (Sep. 28)

In order to improve security, the “Email Address 2” in the Square Enix Account Management System will be discontinued on Sep. 28, 2015.
    *The time will be announced at a later date.

After discontinuation, the registered “E-mail Address 2” that were saved on the servers will all be deleted, and the following functions will stop working.
    - Password resets using the “E-mail Address 2”
    - E-mail address changes using the “E-mail Address 2”

Please make sure that the e-mail registered as “E-mail Address 1” is verified before the discontinuation of “E-mail Address 2”.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your understanding.
    WTF was my first thought reading this, and it remains my only thought.

Just how does this removal "improve security"? More to the point, even if some morons get their accounts stolen due to their stupidity in relation to use of this second e-mail address, why penalise the intelligent majority?

I LIKE having two registered e-mail addresses, it means if one becomes inaccessible important e-mails will still get to me. Whether or not that's a naive thought I still fail to see how removing a secondary address "improves security".

IMO removing a backup contact method negatively affects my account and adds not a jot to its security.

Care to explain, SE?
    (0)

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    You sound very self-entitled. Honestly who needs 2 email addresses? You already basically answered the question why they're doing this.
    if some morons get their accounts stolen due to their stupidity
    Although not worded the most eloquently that's the long and short of it. I also find your argument really weak.
    I LIKE having two registered e-mail addresses, it means if one becomes inaccessible important e-mails will still get to me.
    I literally just went through the steps required to change the registered email address, it took a minute at most.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraggy View Post
    I LIKE having two registered e-mail addresses, it means if one becomes inaccessible important e-mails will still get to me. Whether or not that's a naive thought I still fail to see how removing a secondary address "improves security".
    Why would one become inaccessible? Because you're the kind of moron who somehow routinely forgets his E-Mail password?

It seems kind of obvious how it improves security. Two E-Mail addresses = two places for a hacker to send a bogus "reset my password" request. Considering how the average person isn't going to be routinely checking 2 E-Mail addresses, it would be very easy for a hacker to get into the unmonitored second one without being noticed. I have 2 E-Mail addresses--one that I use for everyday mail and one to give out to sites that will probably add me to some mailing list but insist on an E-Mail address anyway. I also sometimes use the 2nd one to play with Nigerian 419 scammers. I rarely check it, but I check the primary one several times a day.
    (0)