Thread: Ffxi ending

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by peculiar View Post
    This is simply not true, 99% of the content is not worth doing at all.

This game is easier than ever to cap out on, once the new content dries up so will the playerbase (what's left of it).

Have any of you played any ubisoft games? They do this kind of thing too, they can't shut an older title down for the rage it will cause so instead they just ruin it to the point you don't want to play it anymore so they can then close it down and make you all move to the sequel.
    I've played Ubisoft games, and most other games since my first computer in 1981. I wasn't talking about those other games, although I would be happy to write a long essay here about all the games I've played. I was talking about FFXI, and how I could (if I quit my job) play this game all day long, and I would still not be bored and I would still not finish building my empys, lol.

I love the actual physical world of Vana'diel, all the small things, the cave paintings on some of the walls in QC, the glowy lights and ancient brickwork in TC. The girl in Norg who is saving up for a new parrot. This world is atmospheric and engaging to me, it continues to beckon to me, it calls to something in my soul. When Star Sibyl said to me "please come home safely" that one time, I actually cried in real life. This world is important to me, and I feel I am important to it. And that is the sign of a well-crafted atmospheric roleplaying world.

If I beat all content on my main, I would start a new character and play the whole game again, all quests, all missions, and gear / weaps. Because I love playing this game, the way it is, with or without new content. I love the way the mini-menus are on the screen, opening up into spell lists, weaponskill lists etc. I love the Equipment Grid system, for switching gear manually. I love the macro systems. I love the way weaponskills feel solid to me, and have their distinctive styles and elements. I love the mobs and the NM spawn rule systems. I love the fishing, all the different fish with their quirky individual pulls. I love my Moghouse, which has taken me almost twelve years to get looking "just right." I love the complexity and perplexity of FFXI. I just enjoy playing it so much, I will never stop as long as it is available to play online.

I don't really care if other people crave New Stuff all the time, that is not my problem. I enjoy the game itself, I think it is wonderful, and I never get bored.
    (8)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I've played Ubisoft games, and most other games since my first computer in 1981. I wasn't talking about those other games, although I would be happy to write a long essay here about all the games I've played. I was talking about FFXI, and how I could (if I quit my job) play this game all day long, and I would still not be bored and I would still not finish building my empys, lol.

I love the actual physical world of Vana'diel, all the small things, the cave paintings on some of the walls in QC, the glowy lights and ancient brickwork in TC. The girl in Norg who is saving up for a new parrot. This world is atmospheric and engaging to me, it continues to beckon to me, it calls to something in my soul. When Star Sibyl said to me "please come home safely" that one time, I actually cried in real life. This world is important to me, and I feel I am important to it. And that is the sign of a well-crafted atmospheric roleplaying world.

If I beat all content on my main, I would start a new character and play the whole game again, all quests, all missions, and gear / weaps. Because I love playing this game, the way it is, with or without new content. I love the way the mini-menus are on the screen, opening up into spell lists, weaponskill lists etc. I love the Equipment Grid system, for switching gear manually. I love the macro systems. I love the way weaponskills feel solid to me, and have their distinctive styles and elements. I love the mobs and the NM spawn rule systems. I love the fishing, all the different fish with their quirky individual pulls. I love my Moghouse, which has taken me almost twelve years to get looking "just right." I love the complexity and perplexity of FFXI. I just enjoy playing it so much, I will never stop as long as it is available to play online.

I don't really care if other people crave New Stuff all the time, that is not my problem. I enjoy the game itself, I think it is wonderful, and I never get bored.
    You only get to enjoy vanadiel because enough people agree with you and pay to keep it alive. So you should care.
    (1)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    You only get to enjoy vanadiel because enough people agree with you and pay to keep it alive. So you should care.
    Obviously I hope other people will sub, to keep the game alive longer.

What I meant is that I can not change other people's fixation with endless novelty, they want New Stuff all the time and that's their business and so I don't care about that.

I think my long posts submitting lavish praise at the feet of FFXI, can only help to encourage new players to sub.

The people who are posting "the game is dead, it is old and not very shiny, it should be free to play because it isn't worth a cent" those are the people who are going to discourage new or returning players from subbing.
    (7)

Says you? Please, I still do content nobody else does anymore except JP players.
    I hardly get far into the adoulin and escha stuff thats all the rage atm. 85% of my time is spent in areas released when the lv cap was 75, and I enjoy doing it. (not so much the grind for my kikoku, but, can't win them all)

If all you care about is ilvl stuff, then yeah, old content is worthless to you, but not everyone is obsessed with having new stuff that is, on average, only marginally better then the old stuff from last month. There's enough in this game to last me another 2-3 years.

I highly doubt the playerbase will dry up. I do think we'll go down to a handful of servers by the end of next year, but I don't believe it will dry up very quickly. Players love FFXI for a lot of reasons, if players dropped it when content got boring, it would have died a long time ago, but here we are, all these years later and still going fairly strong, hell the only real reason we're losing major updates is because the kits that made this game are dying and don't have replacements.
    (9)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    It's only "not worth doing" if you hate fun and never do anything if there's no promise of an upgrade/reward.

I myself am trying to cross off an item on my bucket list: one last really good ballista match. But I probably wont get that to happen for the same reason it fell off the map to begin with: there's no reward. It's "for fun." So people won't play. But it seems like people forget how to have fun sometimes when they play an MMO.
    (3)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I still do moblin maze mongers, I need 300 points for that toy club!
    (1)

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm completely in agreement with the 'worth doing' argument - Stompa's description of a Golden Age is spot on...I'm having tons of fun in non-end game activities that have been opened up for me by the changes over the recent(ish) releases.

I think (hope!) that SE's plan is that game longevity will be brought about by allowing solo or small party activities to achieve much more - unlocking content for those of us who, for time reasons and outside commitments, have been unable to explore these areas.

I have no issues with continuing my subscription after updates are done - I've still got a great world to explore!

Art.
    (4)

Player
    I'll check back in a year, see how many of you are still around after there has been no new content for 6 months.

Also some of you that are posting don't even play the game, nor have you for quite some time.
    (0)

Some perhaps, but I think most people still play on a regular basis, I can't imagine that all these people pay the fee just to be able to post on these forums.
    (1)

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'll check back in a year, see how many of you are still around after there has been no new content for 6 months.
    It's a deal! :-) I've been playing for years without getting near end-game stuff...if the servers are still running I fully expect to be on in a year (or more!). I've never really been driven by a constant supply of new content; to me there's still so much to do and enjoy that I have masses of 'new content' - it's just that it's old content to some people :-)

Art.
    (6)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast