Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Basically this: "We know that BST will be useless but we are nerfing it because JP players are angry. Enjoy your last few months of the game."
    (3)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    Considering the information that was mentioned during Freshly Picked Vana'diel 20, we understand the desire to equip a shield; however, there are no plans to add a shield with the requested stats for beastmaster at this time.

Instead of thinking of ways to combine defensive capabilities (and making use of the Fencer job trait) with reduction to the recast time for Ready, we would like players to devise ways to adapt and handle various situations. For example, electing to maintain a low recast time for Ready while covering the defensive side with positioning, or focusing on defense while slightly sacrificing the Ready recast time.
    Grekumah, I hear you. I do. When the update lowering the sic/ready recast was released I did try out a bunch of combinations, including axe and shield. I thought I could make up for the loss of pet damage with my damage, and at the same time protecting myself more with a shield. What I found is that using an axe and shield was massively inferior (I know this is an oximoron) to dual-wielding an axe and the Charmer's Merlin. Any bst would prefer to stay out of AoE range and dual wield inflicting massive pet damage rather than get close to the mob with a shield equipped and incurring a 33% penalty in damage and a higher possibility of getting K.O.'d. The only reason I could see a bst equipping a shield for protection is if the fight arena was 10 yalms by 10 and you had no choice but to get hit by AoE. This is not the case. Even lowering the range that sic/ready commands can be used would not motivate a bst to stay within AoE range. They would simply run into range between AoE's, execute their sic/ready command, then run back out. There is no reason to stay in range and or melee. Giving us a shield with sic/ready recast -5 with defensive stats, however, would motivate some to stay in range/melee because there is a reduced risk of getting K.O.'d, and it would expose the master to any AoE's and negative status effects, thus exposing the master to more risk. There will still be those who wish to stay out of range, but for myself, I would rather get in there with an axe and shield and mix it up, but I'm not going to sacrifice pet damage to do that so that I can show off my Cloudsplitter damage; nope, not gonna do it. It wouldn't be prudent.
    (3)
    Last edited by Malthar; 08-19-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Character
    Siviard
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Malthar? Just Cloudsplitter all the things.

ALL.....THE.....THINGS!!!
    (1)

Character
    Engelmond
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 17
    As much as I would like this shield, I'm thinking it's just taking BST in the wrong direction. We wield axes, not staves. I would suggest hardcapping Ready, adjusting monster AoEs+rampant status inflictions and increasing player Max HP so we have more opportunity to fight alongside our pets.

Basically, less cowering 20 yalms away and more Guttler, or whatever axe fancies your tastes (They're axes, you should be hacking things to pieces with them). I'm guilty of keeping my distance as much as anyone, but I can't say I enjoy it. There is definitely an imbalance floating around here.

Good luck with your plan of action, SE.
    (0)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Staves? Whatever the heck are you talking about, sir?
    (0)

Character
    Arenegeth
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Staves? Whatever the heck are you talking about, sir?
    I assume he means we are melee fighters and not mages to be safely out of melee range while wielding axes with the staves comment. Since now, we basically SMN 2.0, or more like 0.5 given that SMN is for the most part, better.

I’m one of those BST’s who would like to go back to meleeing (and Charming for that matter, but I know that ship has sailed) but nerfing us, for not being in melee range is not the way to do that, that is not going to make us melee, that will only make people ask us to bring a proper melee job instead, as they’ve been doing for all those years before the update that made us useful.

If you do want us to melee without invalidating the job for endgame play, then you have to give us a buff not a nerf, like a master 20% increase in dmg when meleeing with pet and new, better master/pet hybrid gear, because what hybrid gear is available now will not make up for the loss of pet dmg, especially in giving up Charmer’s Merlin (let’s assume ASA pants can be swapped in for Ready).

Or you could nerf us back into oblivion because some people can’t stand that after 12 years of being in this game, BST is finally a useful job for endgame activities, despite not being any more powerful than SMN, RNG or even COR.

Oh and yeah, Shields, don’t give us any good shields with pet stats, just keep giving us Fencer JP gifts instead, because that totally makes sense!
    (5)

Character
    Urat
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    A better solution would be to give Bst native dual wield.

The massive variety of pet buffing axes for offhand means its mandatory for bst to be /dnc or /nin, otherwise not being able to use a second axe means our pet misses out on a LOT of buffs.

So just give bst Dual wield I, and let us have a variety of options for sub jobs instead of strictly /nin and /dnc
    (1)

Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Grekumah, I hear you. I do. When the update lowering the sic/ready recast was released I did try out a bunch of combinations, including axe and shield. I thought I could make up for the loss of pet damage with my damage, and at the same time protecting myself more with a shield. What I found is that using an axe and shield was massively inferior (I know this is an oximoron) to dual-wielding an axe and the Charmer's Merlin. Any bst would prefer to stay out of AoE range and dual wield inflicting massive pet damage rather than get close to the mob with a shield equipped and incurring a 33% penalty in damage and a higher possibility of getting K.O.'d. The only reason I could see a bst equipping a shield for protection is if the fight arena was 10 yalms by 10 and you had no choice but to get hit by AoE. This is not the case. Even lowering the range that sic/ready commands can be used would not motivate a bst to stay within AoE range. They would simply run into range between AoE's, execute their sic/ready command, then run back out. There is no reason to stay in range and or melee. Giving us a shield with sic/ready recast -5 with defensive stats, however, would motivate some to stay in range/melee because there is a reduced risk of getting K.O.'d, and it would expose the master to any AoE's and negative status effects, thus exposing the master to more risk. There will still be those who wish to stay out of range, but for myself, I would rather get in there with an axe and shield and mix it up, but I'm not going to sacrifice pet damage to do that so that I can show off my Cloudsplitter damage; nope, not gonna do it. It wouldn't be prudent.
    This. I'd rather get in there and fight, but without some help staying alive, just forcing us to run in to get KO'd will kill the job and consequently FFXI for me.

Even though my friends would group with me on BST for content, I used to take BRD, RDM, WHM, BLM, THF, because it sucks dying to strong AOE, Mijin Gakure, Astral Flow, while the rest of the party survives. I loved BST solo or duo, and still do, but a big part of that for 11 years has been being able to use the bst pet abilities to win even if it was tons slower and riskier than Blue, DNC or DD/pocket WHM.

I don't mind risk. Back in the day, a big part of the fun was the risk of charming mobs to kill with. It could get frustrating to die after bad luck at charming, but I still loved BST. Then the job was changed to use Jugs more. I hated it at first, but I got used to it. I don't want to be a joke again.

I'll wait to see what happens, but am prepared to vote with my sub if this goes as badly as I suspect it will from Grekumah's post.
    (3)
    Last edited by kylani; 08-19-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo

Character
    Engelmond
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Arenegeth View Post
    Oh and yeah, Shields, don’t give us any good shields with pet stats, just keep giving us Fencer JP gifts instead, because that totally makes sense!
    Those do slightly help Cloudsplitter and Calamity, heh. Better than some of the other gifts that are out there.

With shields, I feel like Blurred Shield was a missed opportunity. All it needed was "Ready damage +5%" next to that ws damage, and of course, BST being allowed to use it. But...nope.
    (0)

Character
    Bazookatooth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Do you guys really think that they're gonna let you get in there and melee in any meaningful way? I mean this is SE we're talking about. You know that if they put us on the front line, we are never getting invited to events again right?
    (0)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast