Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bard as Melee?

I don't understand why Pianissimo and Tenuto can't stack, but if you sing ACC+2 songs with Tenuto on then buff melee with their songs it's all good.
    You actually can do this, I have done it before in a party but comparing the time your casting songs on the melee around you and if you dont have to refresh mages its possible and semi effecient to do but if you have a normal party setup and have to refresh mages and/or pull mobs its not time efficent because by the time you get your second song on your going to have to restart your cycle shortly after unless you have a lot of song length+ gear then its possible but who really wants to play 6 songs and be able to position yourself properly and then try to melee if your not trying to pull, its just a lot of work to manage and generally by the time you do have that 2nd buff on you the mob is probbably already dead and you have to restart the cycle again anyway (this is a lot of IMO I havent done a lot of experimenting with a 6 song setup and and melee ive usually done 4 songs with a melee)

Flowerlady you make some excellent points and you name some gear I didn't think of just because I haven't been able to acquire any god item other then Genbu shield but also you are comparing a Mithra that you play to my Elvaan that I play your dex is mighty and my CHR is mighty and that is why I think BRD should use MR over Evr.

bird merit parties on brd/nin and found Evisceration and Mordant Rime both to be very powerful weaponskills on brd and can still deal some very good numbers for a melee/support job. I have done between 900-1200 with MR mostly towards the middle and w/ Evisceration have done between 800-1400
    That is awsome damage outside of abyssea but your killing birds which are weak to dagger damage the average enemy isnt weak to dagger
    (0)
    (A)-GERM

Player
    you are comparing a Mithra that you play to my Elvaan that I play your dex is mighty and my CHR is mighty and that is why I think BRD should use MR over Evr.
    Look up stat growth for 75-90 and you will see its pretty much leveled off for races from 75-90 and if it didnt tarutaru would have been 20 or more int over other races by 99. Right now the difference between a mithra thf/nin and a elvaan is 8 str for elvaans, 10 dex for mithras and 6 chr for elvaans. The difference between an Elvaan thf and elvaan brd would be very close to a mithra thf and a mithra brd because they both hold the same constant variable of race. You should really look at all properties of both weaponskills before you say that one will be better then the other and learn why certain weaponskills are used primarily in abyssea and not outside abyssea. What makes Evisceration so potent in abyssea is basicly RR. DEX+50, Crit hit rate +30%, Crit hit dmg +30% is so far beyond any amount of chr that you can stack onto MR because 1. MR will not crit hit and 2. +50dex. Please. before you make any assumptions get your facts straight so you can at least support your point of views with real data and just not opinions. Everyone has opinions about what might be better but until you do the numbers and test them then they will only be opinions. Lets cut the folk lure making here and get the data straight so the blind isn't leading the blind.

That is awsome damage outside of abyssea but your killing birds which are weak to dagger damage the average enemy isnt weak to dagger
    Your right they are weak to piercing(-25 to piercing dmg) but for 3 years they were also the norm to compare any standards to as far as melee goes. Inside abyssea i have done Eviscerations that are pretty much on par with my thf with VV RR Apoc.
    (0)

I used my bard /dnc in campaign to melee all the time until it got to be too powerful. 2 daggers ( i used Silktone and Kard at the time), keep hymnus up at all times, use march or madrigal if not taking damage, Paeon if you are. I wore full Relic armor. Even if you die you get XP due to raising yourself. Was fun.
    (0)

Character
    Opto
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 68
    http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/42373

Ther are some old Mordant Rime numbers. Might not look amazing because people are used to seeing 4-5k average weaponskills now but even penta-SAM back in those days were only doing like 1500-2000 dmg average with a 2h weapon! Of course you'd see RNG and DRG to upwards of 3-4k but this isn't about what potential damage was like at 75.

BRD/DNC is pretty boss now. Haste samba, double marches, acc bonus (helps a bit due to B- dagger), dual wield, etc.
    (0)

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    [dev1004]
    the problem with bard is that
    1: it doesn't gain any useful dagger WS and for the most part we're using staves for everything anyway.
    2: we have no native shield skill and no skills above a B-. And at that, only 1 B-, and 1 C+.
    3: songs take too much time to sing and don't last long enough for honestly trivial gains (to the bard). Bard cannot solo, has no MP pool to itself, has no job traits worth mentioning, and has a very limited pool of JAs. Corsair has more interesting effects and multiple JA that outrank it, for the most part and on the whole.

Bard needs MP, needs a shield, needs more WSes, needs gear built for doing things beyond running in circles 'more effectively', and needs some worthwhile traits.
    If that happened, bard would open up to a whole new world of available and party-accepted SJ and solo possibilities.

Also, as a sidebar, I wouldn't mind having a JA that made a song "perpetual" for say, 15 minutes. Like everquest bards, where the song is just sort of 'always being sung' by that bard until they tell it to stop. I'd call it Virtuoso. Even with just 1 song like this, I could avoid having to pianissimo-ballad my paladin every 2 minutes and tenuto it to myself. Honestly, if we could just virtuoso ballad alone even on the party, our options to do better things expand exponentially.

And I'd make a JA called Sotto Voce, which would perhaps reduce a song's duration by half and effect by half but make it cast instantly (per quick cast but only usable with songs), and maybe even double the recast. I can't tell you how useful it would be to make my "I cant hit anything!" melee people happy between pulling mobs, ballading and etuding mages, ballading and mamboing the paladin, minuet and madrigal (or march for ninjas and thieves) the melee... there's a LOT of work that goes into being a GOOD bard. and on top of that im expected to pull, cure, debuff, raise occasionally, or keep shadows up (all depending on SJ of course). This would be a fantastic step in the right direction for those bards among us burned out from CoP-years onwards of doing the same monotonous stuff. I'd kiss your feet.
    (0)

Player
    Oh hi Rubeus! dev1004 has totally nothing to do with bard.

Bard has access to 3 of the best weaponskills in the game for dagger inside abyssea which are Rudra's Storm, Mercy Stroke, and Evisceration. They also have accesss to every single WS thf has access to minus Dancing Edge, Shark Bite and Mandalic Stab. Your short comings which requires you to use a staff should not be projected on the job its self and should be something you resolve personally as nothing else will change this issue you are having. Songs, the back bone of brd are able to over come the other short comings that you have mentioned in skill. Brd certainly does not take long at all to sing any song once you gear your brd correctly. from start to finish its 6 seconds from when you cast until you are able to cast again. thats 4 seconds from casting until the song effect is in place and the slight delay after. The duration of songs is also effected by a number of items in game and if your songs are only lasting 2 minutes i think it would certainly be in your best interest to look into something to help increase that time. If a brd has nothing in the way of gear songs are around 8 seconds to cast buff songs and 10 seconds before you can do anything. This is going to hold anyone back when it takes half the duration of the 1st song played to run around and play the next 3 songs. As i mentioned a few posts ago the brd mythic dagger at 90 allows brd a lot of flexibility. Brd has no logical reason to have any base MP. Songs require no MP. There is enough other ways to gain the needed base MP or you could use Conserve MP for casting other spells in and there is also Ballad I-III and a number of items which brd can equip that has refresh on them. Genbu's Shield isnt enough? Fencer, Critical Defense Bonus and Resist Silence I-IV are certainly very useful traits. The resist Silence alone has proced for me a number of times and even in very important fights. This isnt everquest and Sotto Voce has no use if you gear for -50% with Nightingale your songs go off in 2 seconds. The rest im not even going to touch because now your just Q.Q'ing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWx77VE7cmw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH62U7Q1A7g
    (0)
    Last edited by Flowerlady; 03-12-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Addition of 2 vidion of brd's meleeing both using different tactics

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowerlady View Post
    Oh hi Rubeus! dev1004 has totally nothing to do with bard.

Bard has access to 3 of the best weaponskills in the game for dagger inside abyssea which are Rudra's Storm, Mercy Stroke, and Evisceration. They also have accesss to every single WS thf has access to minus Dancing Edge, Shark Bite and Mandalic Stab. Your short comings which requires you to use a staff should not be projected on the job its self and should be something you resolve personally as nothing else will change this issue you are having. Songs, the back bone of brd are able to over come the other short comings that you have mentioned in skill. Brd certainly does not take long at all to sing any song once you gear your brd correctly. from start to finish its 6 seconds from when you cast until you are able to cast again. thats 4 seconds from casting until the song effect is in place and the slight delay after. The duration of songs is also effected by a number of items in game and if your songs are only lasting 2 minutes i think it would certainly be in your best interest to look into something to help increase that time. If a brd has nothing in the way of gear songs are around 8 seconds to cast buff songs and 10 seconds before you can do anything. This is going to hold anyone back when it takes half the duration of the 1st song played to run around and play the next 3 songs. As i mentioned a few posts ago the brd mythic dagger at 90 allows brd a lot of flexibility. Brd has no logical reason to have any base MP. Songs require no MP. There is enough other ways to gain the needed base MP or you could use Conserve MP for casting other spells in and there is also Ballad I-III and a number of items which brd can equip that has refresh on them. Genbu's Shield isnt enough? Fencer, Critical Defense Bonus and Resist Silence I-IV are certainly very useful traits. The resist Silence alone has proced for me a number of times and even in very important fights. This isnt everquest and Sotto Voce has no use if you gear for -50% with Nightingale your songs go off in 2 seconds. The rest im not even going to touch because now your just Q.Q'ing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWx77VE7cmw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH62U7Q1A7g
    couldn't agree more. There's two things called Troubadour and Nightingale, should look into tthose! and like mentioned above bard song + gear to further increase your song length
    (0)

I played with BRD/NIN when campaign was big. First, it attacks insanely fast especially when you have a decent amount of haste gear and march songs, so you'd be spamming Evisceration. Second, like someone said BRD has a nice amount of choices of gear to DD. Unfortunately, you have to stop to sing. However, with AF3+2 and various accessories, you can cut your song casting time to about 50%. This is what I'd probably use if I ever get around to using BRD again.

Twilight Knife + Felibre's Dague
    W.Turhan
    B.Haidate
    Ninurta
    Suppanomimi/Brutal Earring
    Rajas/Mars's
    Marduk's dastanas(only because I got rid of Dusk gloves)
    Marine F boots
    Kirin's osode
    Atheling Mantle
    Love torque

Hecatomb cap
    Warwolf belt
    Pixie Earring
    Hct. Leggings
    Hecatomb Mittens
    Kirin's osode
    Hecatomb Subligar
    (0)

Other good gear includes Goliard Body for TPing (4% haste) and Choral Cannions +1 for WS (STR+8 DEX+8). And there are so many other options for weapons in the form of Magian daggers. If you also ahve thf levelled, you will likely have many of them already. Good ones for DNC include Occasionally attacks 2-4 times dagger for off-hand, and DEX/ACC for main hand if you don't have twilight.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2