Thread: Bard as Melee?

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Bard as Melee?

I'm about to start equipping my BRD for melee (for funsies), and would like some advice from anyone who's already tested different gear. I don't think BRD will be able to hit the weak spot for massive damage or anything, but I still believe we can do decent damage, considering.
    (0)

Inside abyssea or ouside? Inside BRD can pretty much outdmg a DRK lol. They get access to Evisceration and a ton of DD gear.
    (0)

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Haha, talking traditionally here. Abyssea makes anyone a superstar!
    (0)

Character
    Lushipur
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    brd should use sword and shield :P
    (0)

Only the phoenix arises and does not descend. And everything changes. And nothing is truly lost.

I have to try this now for fun.

BRD/NIN.

Twilight Knife + Felibre's Dague with Razed Ruins, Voracious Violet, and Apocalypse here I come.
    (0)
    - Usukane / Ramuh Server

Ive used hand me down gear for BRD melee such as the Walhara turbine (5% Haste lvl 75) Assualt Jerkin until I got my BRD af2 body, dusk gloves, chiv torqe and a couple melee rings but what your looking at for BRD is even though you have Evisceration (50% DEX mod only) your DEX sucks unless you sub THF and have a taru or mithra race. Mordant Rime would be the way to go that way you can stack attack gear and mix it up with your CHR gear (Mordant Rime main mod attribute is 50% CHR and 30% DEX) but that is even getting harder to do with the lack of people doing nyzule isle anymore. Remember also a BRD has a B- ranked dagger skill which isn't going to give you the accuracy or attack your looking for in a DD so stacking accuracy is a plus as well as increasing your attack and haste but remember you may have songs but your party isnt going to want +acc x 2 (LOL I know I've tried) songs just so you can hit more. Using a Blau Dolch Ive hit almost 3k with Evisceration once in abyssea. The average damage I do with my setup (no melee atma) is 1.8K which is crap for the amount of time it takes to get 100% TP and a 5 hit WS. A WHM can do this outside of abyssea with Hexa Strike.
    (0)
    Last edited by GERM; 03-09-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Spelling and stat corrections
    (A)-GERM

Sorry I didn't think about this earlier but it has been on my mind since the last major update.

I would like to see a BRD with a better natural ability to do DoT with melee. Now the reason is (even though it doesn't apply to seal hunting or low manning upgrade gems) A BRD is a natural support role. It casts songs that take anywhere from 1-8 seconds to cast and even with the 4 songs and no fast cast abilities/equipment/ect ect you do have a lot of down time. Now being used a lot in exp. parties in abyssea I don't even have the option to refresh most mages since they are in a different party in the alliance and a WHM is very self sufficient in maintaining MP so Im casting 1 set of songs most of the time. This usually leads to me standing around or just chasing after the party to refresh songs more so with the song length + gear. Now in this situation and only buffing melee in the party I should have the option to melee and I do melee since those are the fellows Im supporting but without Regain atma a dagger only gives 5-7 TP per hit so im still looking at connecting and doing damage at least 14-20 hits and I normally don't use regain atma because there are better atmas to use for a BRD so why not give BRD a triple attack trait? this will not over power them and will just enhance the ability to gain TP and DoT (would really like to see quad attack but im not going to be too optamistic) with that in mind I wouldn't have a problem with Mordant Rime other then I can't find anyone to do Nyzule Isle to help me get the dagger.. Since MR is a 50% CHR and 30% DEX based WS and I have CHR that would rival a THF's DEX. I understand the SqEnix didnt have BRD in mind when they put the WS selection into play at the start but even now with abyssea there is more of a reason to implement something that can improve the damage output because Evisceration 30% Dex mod just isn't going to cut it for a job that has no reason to rely on DEX as a natural attribute (other then the accuracy reason). That just leads to the problem of having to carry more gear which is annoying for any job.
    One more thing I would like to see is a Silence Song. You don't understand how hard it is to solo mage type mobs and and rely on paeon for HP..
    (0)
    Last edited by GERM; 03-09-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: revised text
    (A)-GERM

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I don't understand why Pianissimo and Tenuto can't stack, but if you sing ACC+2 songs with Tenuto on then buff melee with their songs it's all good.

If you're not using any melee atma, 1.8k damage with BRD actually seems pretty amazing, barring any other Abyssea buffs you might have to boost the appropriate skills.

I know what you mean with adding a silence song. Hell, I'd like to see a Paralyze song at that. The only ailment songs we get are Elegy, Finale, Requiem, and Threnody. If we can cause light-based DoT, weaken an enemy to a specific element from songs, and remove an enhancement from an enemy, I don't understand why we can't add in a Silence and Paralyze song to accompany our Slow song.

It would be nice to be able to make BRD a little more self-sufficient.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Player
    I dont know if anyone in this thread went out and compared the stats that your Q.Q'ing about or not but brd/nin isnt that far behind thf in dex and when you compare a brd/nin to a thf/nin at 90 on a mithra you will find that thf only has 7 more base dex then brd and an equal amount of str and before you even start Q.Q'ing about that 7 dex there is tehse awesome pants every thf would still love to be able to equip but cant, Hyakko's Haidate, while they dont make up for all of the equipment thf has over brd for melee it certain levels the playing field a great deal as these pants are still some of the best. I should even note that brd/nin and brd/whm on a 90mithra has more base dex then base chr. While brd has not seen very many new item in the way of melee gear i certainly dont feel that they are lacking any good melee gear at all but just lecking in the same sort up upgrades that thief is seeing. brd can use the entire heca+1 set which is still a very decent set and every item from the sky god armor set(Genbu's shield, Kirins oso and so on). all of these items will shortly be augmentable in the next major update as per what SE said. Also brd has the option to change there range slot with out ever dropping any TP when they change inturments so you can gain TP in Angel lyre for 2% haste then switch to a Oliphant for the acc+3 and att+3 for a ws. Brd is able to use the twilight dagger which has an awesome proc rate and also the twashter among other great weapon choices. Brd has been able to reach the 25% haste cap since before 75+. The only disappointment i have in the gear selection for brd is Loki's Kaftan, Aias Bonnet, Twilight Belt, and Epona's Ring and i really wish there was something better to gain tp in aside from dusk+1 hands. Aside from that ill very kindly list the items im happy SE put brd as a usable job: Twilight Knife, Byakko's Haidate, Goliard Saio, Bullwhip Belt, Love Torque, Heca+1 set, Kirin's Osode, Warwolf belt, Atheling Mantle, Nifty Mantle, Brutal Earring, Delta Earring, Suppanomimi, Hollow Earring Just to name a few. There is also the option to turn any of the mini expansion equipment augments into a situational brd melee item such as the body armor or the cool hat.

As for song duration there is also this Mythic dagger for brd that just about none one ever bother to get but with the level 90 cap version and the help of other duration+ items its possible increase your song duration to the point you would be able to gain 100% tp more then once if your gearing your brd melee correctly.

Your atma choice is dependant normally on the part that you play in the party. If your coming brd/whm expecting to be able to heal, play songs, and do awesome damage then something has to give a little because you just cant have everything. If you want to melee on brd go brd/nin and tell your party before hand so they know you will be playing a melee/support roll and not a healer/support roll. When you get to the atmas pick your RR/VV/Apoc and go crazy with your muti-hit rate.

As a side note before the level increase i was able to match and in some cases out dmg other melees in bird merit parties on brd/nin and found Evisceration and Mordant Rime both to be very powerful weaponskills on brd and can still deal some very good numbers for a melee/support job. I have done between 900-1200 with MR mostly towards the middle and w/ Evisceration have done between 800-1400 all on brd/nin solo no food or songs long before 75+ in a test sample i did to see how brd matched up vs thf with out songs. At one point I was even invited to a party just to prove to everyone in the party that a brd is able to melee and keep songs up in bird camp while out parsing at lest one of the melees in the party. 30 mins into that party i was at the top of the parse next to a drg relic.
    (0)

Battle Bard is so much fun! Bard's best weapon is dagger, so main-hand that for sure (make sure you get evisceration, it's the only good weaponskill they get outside of relic/mythic/empyrean ones). I personally main-hand twighlight knife, and offhand Joyeuse for effective power and good TP'ing. It is a very powerful job to be reckoned with, as no other DD job has access to the wide array of buffs and debuffs that BRD has at it's disposal. Byakko's Haidate is a godsend for BRD melee, plus general haste belt and/or anguinus belt, there's plenty of great equips at your disposal. Amazingly BRD can pretty much match THF's in evasion, with all the best evasion gear and double-mambo.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast