Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Cloudius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Windows 10 and DX12

I can't play FFXI now since i upgraded to windows 10, when i load my game it crashes saying i need DX 8.1 (-1) or something. Is there any way around this and one of the times i tried to load the game it completely crashed my pc and task manager wouldnt even work.
    (0)
    Cloudius

Shiva

SMN99 WHM99 BLM99 THF99 PLD99 SAM99 NIN99 BLU99 DNC99 MNK99 WAR99

Character
    Poooty
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    DirectPlay might be disabled. No idea if the steps are the same in Windows 10, but in 8.1, you needed to go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off. After that, look under "Legacy Components", and DirectPlay should be there. Make sure it's on.
    (2)

Currently the testing team is in the midst of verifying this while they improve the environment; however, they cannot determine for sure that FFXI will operate properly. At the moment our official answer is that we do not recommend using Windows 10 for FFXI.
    (1)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Ferocity
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Your type of hardware compatibility with Windows 10 could be playing a big role in this, rather than FFXI.

For me, I just upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 (for free). At first try, launching FFXI, POL crashed right away. All I then had to do was check for updates for my Graphics card, it downloaded and installed an updated Driver for Windows 10. After that, POL/FFXI runs perfectly. Took me 5 minutes.
    (0)
    http://www.etherealls.com
    Prodigy - Ethereal Linkshell - Diabolos
    Ferocity - xEtherealx Linkshell - Siren
    Aegis 12/31/06
    Spharai 10/20/13
    Burtgang 01/05/15

Character
    Tilemon
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I updated day 1 and had no problems playing XI, never crashed or failed. Its some setting in your computer not SE.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui
    This goes the same for extremely difficult content. (Naturally it’s not easy since it’s extremely difficult…)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    as long as you don’t have severely bad luck.

It's good to hear XI runs well on W10.

But then again in my case I'm waiting a while before upgrading to 10 anyway (currently using 7) At least until DX12 games start rolling out there's little incentive for me to switch to 10 right away.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Character
    Viion
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooty View Post
    DirectPlay might be disabled. No idea if the steps are the same in Windows 10, but in 8.1, you needed to go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off. After that, look under "Legacy Components", and DirectPlay should be there. Make sure it's on.
    Anyone with the issue should try this! I had the same error: DX8.1 (-1) on installing it on Windows 8.1, you just go turn on DirectPlay, Same for when upgrading to Windows 10. Nothing else to do. This same answer is also in the top google searches.
    (0)

Character
    Cloudius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooty View Post
    it was all fixed by doing this
    (0)
    Cloudius

Shiva

SMN99 WHM99 BLM99 THF99 PLD99 SAM99 NIN99 BLU99 DNC99 MNK99 WAR99

Character
    Luthmhor
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    There may be a compatibility issue for some. Updating from Windows 7 to 10 I was unable to play FFXI. After clicking on <PLAY> I got a pop-up about installing DirectPlay that was immediately not responding and trying to close this resulted in programs including Task Manager becoming non responsive. I had to reset the PC.

Attempting to manually install DirectPlay through the Control Panel resulted in the following:

Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.
    The function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction
    Error code: 0x80071A90
    Because this is not happening to all then I can assume that it is hardware or driver related. I have a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti with the latest 353.62 drivers.

I have gone back to Windows 7 until this is sorted.
    (0)

I would also like to add I've had no issues running FFXI at all under windows 10, and I've been using it as my primary OS since the first insider build released late last year, and through 2 pc's, as i upgraded my system in march.

This sounds like a different issue then FFXI.

Make sure directplay is enabled in legacy components as others said. And one more step you could do is this:

Goto your FFXI folder > _commonRedist > DirectX > jun2010 > run DXsetup.exe
    This might also help, it should install a lot of dx files, as 10 doesn't launch with those installed, and may have removed any you had installed from your last OS.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast