Character
    Traxus
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

BLU and throwing skill

This isn't particularly relevant anymore, but it's something that's always bothered me, and it would be nice to have an explanation for before the game ends. BLU has access to almost all chakram type throwing weapons, including a job exclusive one (death chakram), and can even set a snapshot job trait through blue magic. Unlike the other jobs that can equip chakrams however (THF/NIN/DNC), BLU has zero throwing skill. What's the deal?

PUP, which was added at the same time as BLU, has C+ throwing skill, yet has no access to thrown weapons aside from all jobs ones, and couldn't functionally use ranged weapons regardless because animators and oils use the ranged weapon slots.

Were BLU and PUP throwing skills swapped at release but never fixed?
    (7)

Character
    Gameesh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I wondered this as well ever since BLU was released...

Not that BLU really NEEDS throwing, but it is odd for having chakrams and being able to set Snapshot.

I've also wondered why BLU can set the Zanshin trait...
    (2)

If we were to add throwing skill to blue mage, the skill level would not be very high, and it would not result in a significant difference.

In regards to the job trait Snap Shot, this becomes effective when you use throwing weapons.

The overall decision to give blue mage throwing weapons was so that they could pull enemies and guide them to their desired location.
    (1)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

Character
    Vinedrius
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    If we were to add throwing skill to blue mage, the skill level would not be very high, and it would not result in a significant difference.

In regards to the job trait Snap Shot, this becomes effective when you use throwing weapons.

The overall decision to give blue mage throwing weapons was so that they could pull enemies and guide them to their desired location.
    So they didn't want BLU to use throwing effectively, but thought letting them have Snap Shot trait was a good idea... Ok...

By the way, why does PUP have throwing skill, despite having their ranged slot always occupied by an animator?
    (5)

Character
    Traxus
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Yeah that response both contradicted itself and didn't really answer the topic. As in, why does a job that can equip many thrown weapons (all chakrams except the AF DNC one) and set a ranged trait have no throwing skill, but jobs that can't equip/can't use throwing weapons do?
    (2)

Character
    Gameesh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinedrai View Post
    So they didn't want BLU to use throwing effectively, but thought letting them have Snap Shot trait was a good idea... Ok...

By the way, why does PUP have throwing skill, despite having their ranged slot always occupied by an animator?
    I... guess in theory you could macro in a throwing weapon when you pull an enemy and then macro back to the animator before you actually start fighting...? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    (1)

Character
    Sabishii
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Throwing's useless anyway, not like there's throwing weaponskills available that we don't get. Stop complaining about throwing skill, of all things. I think most people usually put stat increasing ammo in your ammo slot, rather than ranged chakrams in your ranged slot anyway.
    (0)

Character
    Traxus
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    After running into an escha caturae NM that can put up a shield that blocks all types of damage except a single type, often ranged, I decided to give blu's three 'ranged' physical spells (feather storm, queasyshroom, pinecone bomb) another look. It turns out their accuracy (and probably attack) is tied to your ranged weapon. My accuracy was floored for all of them against easy andoulin mobs, until I equipped bestas bane (ilvl chakram with +242 throwing skill) and my accuracy significantly improved, although it is certainly still far too low to use against relevant level enemies.

So was blu originally intended to have throwing skill? Or were these spells intended to be broken?
    (1)
    Last edited by Traxus; 09-07-2015 at 02:16 AM.

Character
    Yuchemey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I'd rather have Shield Skill on BLU than an High throwing skill. Although if there were throwing weapon skills i would gladly use it on BLU
    (0)