Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylo- View Post
    Of course it makes sense to update/upgrade ffxi for ps4/PC or at the least PC, they could have two profitable MMO's
    Just the PC, although I believe XIV is based on the idea that they will be dropping PS3 support at some point in the future, and in a long time, PS4 support as well, which is the healthy and proper way to handle MMO support of a console. The MMO either grows or it dies.

Letting a profitable MMO die is like letting your money tree break because you wouldn't water it. The water might be expensive, but growing a new money tree is notoriously hard and not always successful. Yet they certainly used the barely wilting leaves from one money tree to fund full time world class arborists to save a sapling that had snapped in half and previously caught fire, and when one of the arborists asked if they wanted to rig up a node for the barely wilting tree on their new irrigation system for free, they ripped a branch from that tree and started hitting him with the resulting stick.
    (1)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    It's funny that we are discussing this now because just last night I had to boot up my PS2 copy for the first time in about 5 years. I was redoing Apocalypse Nigh. I had just finished the fight and it was playing the ending cutscene. During that cutscene, Eshnatarl does some sort of spell which for some reason, crashed POL on my computer every single time. Every time I restarted, I went right back into that cutscene and had the crash. I was stuck in something of a loop.

Luckily I still had my Playstation 2. I reconnected it and after about 10 hours of updating (totally not exaggerating) I was able to log on and finish the cutscene there, and get back to playing on PC.
    (1)

Character
    Senan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    It's funny that we are discussing this now because just last night I had to boot up my PS2 copy for the first time in about 5 years. I was redoing Apocalypse Nigh. I had just finished the fight and it was playing the ending cutscene. During that cutscene, Eshnatarl does some sort of spell which for some reason, crashed POL on my computer every single time. Every time I restarted, I went right back into that cutscene and had the crash. I was stuck in something of a loop.

Luckily I still had my Playstation 2. I reconnected it and after about 10 hours of updating (totally not exaggerating) I was able to log on and finish the cutscene there, and get back to playing on PC.
    Ha, so the old, decrepit bird has its uses. Hopefully, after SE finishes with the RoV updates, they'll devote more time to squashing game-halting bugs like that. I imagine that would have really sucked if you hadn't still had the PS2 setup available -- especially considering how slow SE is about fixing issues like that manually for users (or so I've heard.) Aren't you still stuck on a Bastok mission or something, Bungie?
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seillan View Post
    Ha, so the old, decrepit bird has its uses. Hopefully, after SE finishes with the RoV updates, they'll devote more time to squashing game-halting bugs like that. I imagine that would have really sucked if you hadn't still had the PS2 setup available -- especially considering how slow SE is about fixing issues like that manually for users (or so I've heard.) Aren't you still stuck on a Bastok mission or something, Bungie?
    I don't think this was actually a game issue. This is something with my computer. I sometimes get crashes like that if a Blizzard family spell is cast, be it me, an enemy, or a party member. Something about the graphic effect on my screen causes the crash. Like..... the cluster of crystals and polygons bunched together like that. The cutscene I'm referring to has a visual effect quite similar to a Blizzard family spell.

If my PS2 weren't available, I probably would have installed the game on my laptop and run it through there.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDragonSYNC View Post
    I have à pc i even play ffxi on thé pc sometimes but i wanna Keep bèing able to lay back on my sofa and play on a big screen with à controller. Idc if its costing them money Se have à réputation to save before thinking of greed like that. I dont understand why you Guys want it to shut so bad on console.. They wont update thé Game anyways. Like once 3 month they said and it will probably mean minor update. It could have à secound wind on ps4 and no montly fée. I think that could attrack lots of players back in game and as a console gamer i would bè happy but they wont so Please dont shut down ps2 lol. And Please Guys support
    You can hook your computer to your TV via HDMI, and hook up a PS2/Xbox 360/PS3/PS4 controller to your computer and play the same as you do on your console, while running the PC version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I use to play on PC. I've never used the keyboard-only controls, I only know how to play with a controller mapped. I play on my 48" HDTV with HDMI.

Also, have you seen the PS2 version lately. I booted mine up on Friday, and the menus were unresponsive in the Mog Garden. Adoulin was a crash fest. The program is pushing the memory and CPU limitations of the PS2 right now, to the point the system is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    This is the weakest excuse ever. They're dropping PS2 support, so needing a PS2 devkit to make new assets is stupid.

The JP population evaporating with the PS2 makes some sense because no company would be so insane as to support a platform that has been otherwise killing their once intensely profitable MMO for the last five or six years.

As for the person complaining about PS2 support getting dropped, get any PC made in the last decade, you can buy them used for dirt cheap (and reinstalling Windows if you're worried about the last person's files is super easy too), then get a USB adapter for your controller since that's the only legit excuse you couldn't hack it at playing on a PC, and spend five minutes mapping your controller. If you're using a PS3 controller the adapter is just the cord to charge it even.

They stated in the Famitsu interview that their tools for making new game assets are on the PS2 devkits. Their PC tools are only to convert the created assets to PC and Xbox 360, they don't have the tools to make new assets directly on PC.

San d'Oria mission Lightbringer, and it's a server-side glitch, not a client-side. I just haven't had much time to play in the last month, with trying to buy a house and my landlord having illegally kicked me out before I finished the purchase, so I've been couch surving. About a month ago it got escalated and GMs are noticing me when I am playing to ask about it. I haven't tried the mission again since.
    (1)
    Last edited by bungiefanNA; 07-06-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74

So i'm just wondering if you had this installed on an another type of pc, the same effect of the area in the game wouldn't of occurred if you played it on that pc as well to get past what you were stuck crashing or rather not getting past on the main pc you were playing on as well?
    (0)
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Urat
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    If you like being able to play on big screen TV, you can still have that no problem.

You can hook up computers to big screen TVs with HDMI.

Then use any of the available programs to connect a PS3 controller to your computer's bluetooth.

Map the PS3 controller's buttons to be the same as normal ffxi controls, and boom you can still play ffxi just like its PS2. Except you can make it prettier and nicer looking by configuring your rendering settings via SE's config menu in the game.

As for porting to PS3: I'm pretty sure SE still needs a ps2 devkit for this.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Does anyone know what a "PS2 Devkit" actually consists of? I'm curious. Why are they becoming so difficult to come by?
    (0)

Does anyone know what a "PS2 Devkit" actually consists of? I'm curious.
    As far as my Google-Fu could take me, it is an actual machine.

What is in that machine and what it actually runs on I could not find as fast but as far as I can see, there just isn't much information out there about them.

Why are they becoming so difficult to come by?
    They aren't being manufactured anymore, and why should they? As far as I could find in the available information on them they went for as much as $20.000 retail, disregarding the assembly price of one machine, it would be a bit of a misinvestment to keep making them to keep just one single game running.
    Especially since the actual console isn't being made or supported anymore.
    (1)
    Last edited by Shirai; 07-08-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Character
    Kigensuro
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    the PS2 Devkit is the same as a ps2 in hardware but it has some software that allows companies to build and test unregistered game data and get code debugging data if something does not work

thay also have other things i dont know about
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast