Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Kyrai
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I bought the FFXIV box-set with all the books and fancy stuff in it, because I wanted to show my support. I played ARR for just over a month, and then ran back to FFXI as quickly as my clunky obsolete little tarutaru legs would carry me.

XIV is an achievement and very good at what it does, but it is not my kind of game, it feels like I'm doing homework or chores. I can't get any kind of RPG traction in it, and I don't bond with my character like I do in FFXI.

But I truly hope that everyone playing XIV has a great time and the game is successful, I wish them all the best!
    I also purchased the initial collector's edition, hoping that 14 would be another 11. I tried as long as I could, then came back to 11. I also tried again with ARR, and while the game improved dramatically, it just didn't feel like FFXI to me. I like Wow, lotro, swtor, even 14 for a change of pace, but they just never get to me the way FFXI does. I really wanted 14 to be a new FFXI. Now I'm happy to play FFXI till the doors finally close, then I'll probably either stop gaming or flit from game to game.

I am glad 14 is doing so well for SE, but I hope 11 stays up for a long time. I still have a lot to do.
    (3)

Character
    Ferocity
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by pretre View Post
    iv spent 588 days on ffxi prolly 365 days of that was real game play. in that time I could be qualified at anything I choose, almost nothing on the planet that does not make me rich would I put that amount of time into and not call it a waste, but somehow I feel it was time well spent, in a few months ill be done on this gme but ill remember it forever
    This is true. Depends how you look at it. Would you have spent that time instead doing something more constructive to RL? Maybe, maybe not. One could easily instead spend 365 days watching TV all day. Many people use MMPORGs to rest their mind and escape reality for a while, without it you might just substitute it with something else, for better or for worse.

If my wife ever comments on the amount of time I play, she spends the same amount of time watching TV instead. I don't see the difference.
    (3)
    http://www.etherealls.com
    Prodigy - Ethereal Linkshell - Diabolos
    Ferocity - xEtherealx Linkshell - Siren
    Aegis 12/31/06
    Spharai 10/20/13
    Burtgang 01/05/15

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by kylani View Post
    I also purchased the initial collector's edition, hoping that 14 would be another 11. I tried as long as I could, then came back to 11. I also tried again with ARR, and while the game improved dramatically, it just didn't feel like FFXI to me. I like Wow, lotro, swtor, even 14 for a change of pace, but they just never get to me the way FFXI does. I really wanted 14 to be a new FFXI. Now I'm happy to play FFXI till the doors finally close, then I'll probably either stop gaming or flit from game to game.

I am glad 14 is doing so well for SE, but I hope 11 stays up for a long time. I still have a lot to do.
    I totally agree with you. There are so many things I still want to do in FFXI, even after eleven years of play. My afterglow requires 3000 riftcinders, and I have limited game time due to my work office getting unusually huge amounts of new projects. At the current pace I will finish the 3000 riftcinders around year 2050, lol. I have a lot of smaller goals which I could finish in a year or two, so I am trying to focus on the easier short-term goals instead of the 2050 stuff. And I'm spending more time just relaxing in Vanadiel and enjoying the atmospheric storyline RPG elements, instead of just constantly rushing around trying to get stuff all the time.
    (1)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seillan View Post
    Same here. I played it enough in the 2.0 Beta to know it wasn't anywhere near the level of XI (imo.) To this day, I have yet to use the free two weeks that was apparently allotted to me for purchasing the game during the 1.0 era. As long as XI is around, I see no reason to start it up anytime soon.
    You are a sophisticated and discerning gamer, both ruminative and refined. We are going to end the same way as woolly mammoths and dodos. The ostentatious glitzy bimbo world of modern gaming will hunt us into extinction and use our pelts as <Furnishings.> lol.

(2)

Character
    Senan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    You are a sophisticated and discerning gamer, both ruminative and refined. We are going to end the same way as woolly mammoths and dodos. The ostentatious glitzy bimbo world of modern gaming will hunt us into extinction and use our pelts as <Furnishings.> lol.

Truly brilliant comment, and I'm not just saying that because of the compliment . The feeling is mutual, of course.

It's true, we're a dying breed, but rest assured this dodo will not be going gentle into that good night . There's not enough flashy filler in all modern games combined to make up for the substance within virtual worlds like XI -- for me anyway.
    (2)

Character
    Pretre
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    This is true. Depends how you look at it. Would you have spent that time instead doing something more constructive to RL? Maybe, maybe not. One could easily instead spend 365 days watching TV all day. Many people use MMPORGs to rest their mind and escape reality for a while, without it you might just substitute it with something else, for better or for worse.

If my wife ever comments on the amount of time I play, she spends the same amount of time watching TV instead. I don't see the difference.
    yea lol my brother will often say I need to quit that game it takes to much time then go play cod for 12 hours, and no im as qualified as im gunna get in life I def woulda wasted that time lol
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2