Character
    Darkbewd
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Is it just me or...

Do most -ga spells seem like they cost about twice as much as they should to anyone else? Yeah, yeah, I know "but you can hit more things with one spell!" which seems reasonable, but this spread damage nonsense really kills it for me, plus I find a lot of the time I'd like to cast a -ga spell in between the single target ones while I wait for them to be ready again, but they eat up so much more MP. I dunno, probably a non-issue when you're running around in 119 gear, but I figure it was worth bringing up.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Why not use another single target while waiting for recasts? Ga spells are by there very nature supposed to be not as efficient when used on single mobs but very efficient with multi

Also not really sure what you mean by twice as much as they should... going thru the chart of values the dmg/mp ratios aren't too much different to the point where if you halved the cost of ga spells there would never be a reason to not use them if they are up and you aren't afraid of hitting other stuff. Only way I could see them decreasing cost as much as you say while avoiding that would be to greatly decrease the base dmg a bit and greatly increase the penalty for multiple targets

I think they just seem more mp hoggish because you just compare cost possibly within a tier forgetting that gas also have base dmgs more on par with the next tier of single targets.
    (0)
    Last edited by dasva; 06-18-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Character
    Darkbewd
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    As you can guess, I pretty much only use these spells in Monstrosity and they seem pretty garbage there, so I figured I'd ask here to see if it was a BLM thing in general or just a monster thing.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBEWD View Post
    Do most -ga spells seem like they cost about twice as much as they should to anyone else?
    Remember that you can take advantage of Occult Acumen if you have access to Myrkr. About every 200MP you can use the self targeting Staff WS to get back 20% of your MP (which should be well over 200MP; if you get more TP because you used even more MP, Myrkr scales 20%/40%/60%).

The reduction to damage also caps out around ten targets, with the biggest jumps in reduction being at the two and ten mob mark. If you're targeting one or two mobs, it might just be wiser to target them with single target spells only. Also remember that for every mob you incapacitate, you have one less attacker, so prioritize wisely.
    (1)