Character
    Capuchin
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Repair changes (June 2015): Oil stack size

Request to the dev team: with the upcoming changes to Repair and Automaton Oil, can the development team consider an increase to the maximum stack size for Oils, from 12 to 99? Especially given the increased use of the ability after these changes, the likelihood that Puppetmasters may want to carry more than 12 of the same oil causes unnecessary inconvenience and loss of inventory space. Increasing stack size should not affect game balance.

Thank you!
    (2)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anza View Post
    Increasing stack size should not affect game balance.
    The standard reply to this is something about it affecting crafting and prices on the AH.

Given that, if the stack size is to remain the same, perhaps oil could be put into bags, that themselves stack to 99, but dispense a stack at a time? You'd be able to carry them like any other toolbag, and they'd hold as much, but the stack size wouldn't have to be changed.
    (0)

Character
    Capuchin
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    The standard reply to this is something about it affecting crafting and prices on the AH.
    It's still worth asking again, in the context of mid-2015 FFXI. With the sales moogles from the first chapter of Rhapsodies, it's very clear that there's less concern now about maintaining AH prices for crafted consumables even if it was a concern before.

Besides, who's buying automaton oil from crafters? There are currently ZERO stacks of any quality oil available on the AH on my server. And a grand total of 7 stacks of Oil+3 have sold on my server in the entirety of 2015. There is absolutely no reason to protect a crafting market that clearly does not exist.

Changes for player convenience have been much more common in the past year, and this is a great example of a very easy implementation that would hurt nothing and make things more convenient for Puppetmasters.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I'm just offering an alternative solution if they still care. Whatever gets the oil in your hands, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Anza View Post
    Besides, who's buying automaton oil from crafters? There are currently ZERO stacks of any quality oil available on the AH on my server. And a grand total of 7 stacks of Oil+3 have sold on my server in the entirety of 2015. There is absolutely no reason to protect a crafting market that clearly does not exist.
    This is half chocobo/egg, half a result of the terribly low AH limits, and short sales times.

If it's never for sale, nobody ever checks if it is for sale. If nobody checks for a sale, they never buy it. If nobody buys it, it never goes for sale.

AH slots are at a premium as well, which means things have to sell for quite a bit in order to be worth limited AH slots in a lot of cases. This is easier to deal with when you have toolbags for commonly used items, since you can sell a large amount much less frequently. Of course, the bigger solution would be to have more AH slots and longer sales times for cheaper items.
    (0)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Well being as they wouldnt do the same for pet foods, i wouldn't hold my breath. It was specifically asked for and directly denied. Same with Dawn Mus.

Would it be nice? Yes, I would love it.
    Is it likely? Past history leans towards no, but i would love to be proven wrong.
    (0)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    On the topic of june changes, i see they snuck this one in:

June Puppetmaster Addition of NPCs that sell attachments.

I would have to guess that it will be all of the old droped ones (ob/taliu ashif/over world drops/gov chests)
    (0)

Character
    Capuchin
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I'd be more inclined to think the attachment sellers could be for crafted attachments. S-E seems to be preparing for population loss by adding ways to make the game as solo-able as possible. That includes adding ways to obtain items that might be unavailable if people aren't making them (see also all the Rhapsodies salesmoogle consumables, ability to call trusts in more areas to solo more content, etc.). The dropped attachments are all easily soloable by an ilevel player, so not nearly as much reason to make them NPC buyable.

Similarly, for the June update:
    Beastmaster Addition of NPCs that sell items for the ability "Reward."
    This continues to be relevant to the oil stack size question, since if the dev team is OK giving up on protecting the (non-existent) crafting market, there's zero reason to keep stack size at 12 instead of 99. Especially for a required item for such a low timer job ability.
    (0)

Character
    Dieth
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Any nonsense about protecting crafters is BS~: http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gavrie sells all the oils already.
    (1)
    ~ si deus nobiscum quis contra nos ~
    I am a Lazy French Shower

Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post

Given that, if the stack size is to remain the same, perhaps oil could be put into bags, that themselves stack to 99, but dispense a stack at a time? You'd be able to carry them like any other toolbag, and they'd hold as much, but the stack size wouldn't have to be changed.
    who buys oil off the AH? I always see it bought from the NPC in Whitegate
    (1)