Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Level caps in mission battles a choice?

Hey guys, an earlier thread about a classic server kind of gave me an idea. Would if SE added the removed level caps back to the earlier mission BCNM fights, but instead of making it mandatory like it use to be, they instead made it an option?

This way, players who wanted to challenge themselves while progressing through the game and doing the missions could do so, while those that really didn't care for it could opt out of the lvl cap version of the fight. This would possibly include a lvl capped version of the Promyvion areas, but of course players would be prompted to choose if they wanted to enter the capped version or the uncapped one upon entry into the actual promy area.

I know some people may argue that SE has added high-tier/hard mode versions of the old big fights, but those only accessible by people have reached 75 and have merit points to spend. Plus, giving players the choice to choose whether they want to attempt the capped fight while progressing through the story missions would at least in some form bring back a sense of achievement.

While I'm sure that if possible, it would be low priority with all that they are working on now and would more than likely require some changing to the code again. This is just a simple question and maybe QoL suggestion to see if anyone would be interested.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I might buy what oyu're saying if those level cap battles were ever a challenge in the first place, but they weren't. The high tier battles are a simpler and easier solution. Also the number of people wishing to take deliberate action to make something harder than it has to be for no additional reward is very low. The high tier system is effective because there are multiple difficulty levels and the prospect of reward increases on higher levels - so people choose the highest one they think they can clear.
    (1)

Character
    Senan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 70
    I'm all for this idea, personally. Since I started the game again, I've been intentionally trying to tackle most of that type of content in level ranges that are more appropriate to the task, just to have a "truer-to-the-original" experience. A level cap option for them would make it even easier to accommodate that. They could even add RoE rewards and/or titles for doing it that way, for those that need incentives.
    (0)

Character
    Singforu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I might buy what oyu're saying if those level cap battles were ever a challenge in the first place, but they weren't. The high tier battles are a simpler and easier solution. Also the number of people wishing to take deliberate action to make something harder than it has to be for no additional reward is very low. The high tier system is effective because there are multiple difficulty levels and the prospect of reward increases on higher levels - so people choose the highest one they think they can clear.
    You must be new. I remember the CoP fight against Ultima and Omega back when you were capped at level 60. It was no pushover.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Singforu View Post
    You must be new. I remember the CoP fight against Ultima and Omega back when you were capped at level 60. It was no pushover.
    Nope. Been here since day 1 (okay, within the first week or two) NA. I didn't find those fights difficult. CoP had fights that were harder than the base game story, but not by a whole lot.

Going back and doing these fights, even with the exact parameters as you remember them, just isn't the same because you've done it before and you know what to do. It still only has a fraction of the challenge of the first time you did it.
    (0)

Character
    Singforu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    you said: "if those level cap battles were ever a challenge in the first place, but they weren't." They most definitely were. You might not have been one of the leading people figuring out how to do those fights and just rode the coattails of others who had already done the fights and just cookiecuttered it, and so I could see why you would say it wasn't difficult. For those of us who actually figured out the fights, it was difficult. Figuring out which job combinations and strategies worked took awhile. I remember many a time wiping and/or timing out.
    (1)

you said: "if those level cap battles were ever a challenge in the first place, but they weren't." They most definitely were. You might not have been one of the leading people figuring out how to do those fights and just rode the coattails of others who had already done the fights and just cookiecuttered it, and so I could see why you would say it wasn't difficult. For those of us who actually figured out the fights, it was difficult. Figuring out which job combinations and strategies worked took awhile. I remember many a time wiping and/or timing out.
    I second this. I remember going through the rank 2-3 mission, and though if you knew the strategy or someone else knew, it was easy. But every now and then you'd get that new group that even if they followed through with the plan, there was still a chance of a wipe. A resisted sleep spell meant a wipe if your tank wasn't fast enough and your healer couldn't manage his/her heals while the tank held both the ahriman and the dragon until sleep was ready again. Then there was always a chance that there would be no sleeper in the group. Basically, what I'm saying is that sure, they may have seemed easy if you had the right set up or a set up to get by, but a new group tackling the content might not be as lucky, thus presenting them with a challenge. As for CoP fights, anything pass promy vhzal I didn't get to until it was uncapped since my static fell apart, so I'm not sure how challenging they were, however I do remember tenzen and the weapon fights definitely being a challenge even in it's uncapped form.

Also I feel like this would meet those of whom want to re-experience classic XI at least halfway or close to halfway. Heck, maybe even throw in a npc that gives you the option to wipe your memory of past missions like the ones for the AF quests (possibly for a fee of course). While it may not be what those that wanted a classic want, I guess in some form...it would give them the opportunity to relive and replay those missions they way they were originally played. And any new players coming in would at least have the opportunity to choose if they wanted to try the capped version or play through the uncapped version.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    you said: "if those level cap battles were ever a challenge in the first place, but they weren't." They most definitely were.
    Subjective. Maybe it was hard for you, but not for me. I did every single mission on SMN, so no, it wasn't cookie cutter. We may have different ideas of what hard is, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's how I saw it. It's pretty insulting for you to tell me what it had to be or what I did, because I know what I did and I know what my experience was like.

And the point still stands, putting in a cap now and doing it again isn't the same as the first time, no matter how nostalgic you get, because you know how to do it now, when you didn't before you started it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-06-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Character
    Senan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Subjective. Maybe it was hard for you, but not for me. I did every single mission on SMN, so no, it wasn't cookie cutter. We may have different ideas of what hard is, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's how I saw it. It's pretty insulting for you to tell me what it had to be or what I did, because I know what I did and I know what my experience was like.

And the point still stands, putting in a cap now and doing it again isn't the same as the first time, no matter how nostalgic you get, because you know how to do it now, when you didn't before you started it.
    Who's asking for it to be "the same as the first time?" That doesn't seem to be the point of this thread at all. Some of us would just like to be able to cap ourselves down to the appropriate level for the content so that the fights can be a bit more challenging, rather than the level 99 steam roll. And for those of us that are new to a lot of the content, it's nice to be able to experience it more closely to how it was originally (I fall in that camp.)
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seillan View Post
    Who's asking for it to be "the same as the first time?" That doesn't seem to be the point of this thread at all. Some of us would just like to be able to cap ourselves down to the appropriate level for the content so that the fights can be a bit more challenging, rather than the level 99 steam roll. And for those of us that are new to a lot of the content, it's nice to be able to experience it more closely to how it was originally (I fall in that camp.)
    If you want a fight that's a bit more challenging, just do the high tier version. It's not like it isn't literally the same mission fights, even with the same in-battle cutscenes, just made for high level. You can't say 'it's not the same' because capping down to make it harder wouldn't be the same either. The fact is, nothing would be. And wanting to go back and play classic fights is probably one of the reasons they implemented high tier mission battles in the first place.

We don't need an arbitrary level cap function to relive these battles. We already have a feature for that.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-06-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast