Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    And.....?

He's not saying he didn't like the game. He liked the game in spite of what he saw as flaws looking back. And I agree they were flaws. There are so many enjoyable parts to the game, both back then and today, but the extreme grind and competing with 100+ people for the chance to fight a monster was really not the best part of the game to me. Even when I was doing it; the endless waiting around doing nothing didn't take long to outweigh the thrill of winning the pull (which was pure luck, pretty much)
    Yes that's exactly right. I enjoyed it in the olden days because I had a lot of friends to play with and a lot of free time to play. Waiting a long time for a party didn't bother me because I had a lot of time to do it. Partying a long time to level up didn't bother me either because I was in no rush. I didn't bother with the land HNMs, and did some Sky and Limbus stuff with friends. Nowadays, I can't fathom spending all day to gain roughly 30,000 experience points. My friends are all gone due to real life commitments and getting bored with the classic game. Exactly one left during the classic era, then returned during Abyssea, then left again in mid 2012 due to real life stuff. Several left to play Final Fantasy 14. NONE left because of the way the game changed due to Adoulin and Abyssea. This is despite your odd inference that all or most did.
    (2)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by nekroturkey View Post
    No, they would have to shut down the current servers and force everyone to play like it was 2006 all over again. Or at least, that's how everyone here is reacting. In reality though, yeah that's all they'd have to do.
    Strawman. Nobody said this. The prevailing thought here is "we wouldn't like it and we doubt enough people would to make a functional game". Making a classic server now is like Nintendo re-releasing Nintendo 64 games or Sony developing for the Playstation 1. It'd just be a bad business decision that would cost them time and money on a product that too few people want for it to be anything but a money losing proposition.

You seem to be of the mind that there is some massive throng of thousands of people just waiting with bated breath for this classic server to emerge, because they all loved the game in 2006 and clearly the only reason they abandoned this game in mass numbers was because of Abyssea and Adoulin. Not because of other video games. Not because of other MMOs. Not because they got bored. Not because real life meant they couldn't make the time commitment any more. But just because the game changed.
    (3)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by vienne View Post
    I dont see it happening, but yeah if they would do it I'd probably make a character on there ...would have to have some QoL adjustments though (cant see myself playing anymore without all those cool warps) and lvl sync.
    What I think would realistically happen, though, is that you, and maybe a bunch of other people, might make a character, be impressed by the novelty and nostalgia for maybe a month, then say "this sucks". Then the place would become a wasteland with so few people that even dedicated hardcore advocates like nekroturkey would abandon it because there aren't enough people to get anything done. Remember, you needed not only 18 people (or more for Dynamis) to get endgame stuff done; you needed 18 people willing to put up with hours of waiting around in exchange for virtually nothing. Good luck culling that from a base of a few hundred people spread out across different time zones and different languages.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    This would be an amazing idea OP.

I'm surprised after how much trolling Alhanelem does in every single thread posted that he isn't banned.
    Disagreeing with your personal opinion is not trolling.

Trolling is intentionally using inflammatory language and insincerely disagreeing with people to start a fight or trick people.
    (3)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by kaerin View Post
    If demand wasn't there then these threads wouldn't exist. And neither would p****** s****** that have a cap of 75 and more people playing on them than some actual servers.
    It would take several thousand people for a classic server to work. Less than a dozen people on a message board (I count, maybe 3 advocates) does not indicate demand.
    (2)

What strikes me as incredibly amusing in this whole argument is that there's actually no need to build any kind of legacy server.
    All the ingredients to make an artificially capped enviroment are right here, with all of today's QoL improvements.

All you need is a group of reliable people that want to start a legacy group with you.
    (2)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Just go to any current server and make new characters and never do the level 75 limit break...Done. That costs SE nothing, is cheap/easy, and you can test the waters there. Just designate a server like 'hey bismark is the new legacy server', make a LS and try it out.

If you can get a full ls of people willing to do it, then dont expect SE to make a whole new server for it.
    (3)

Character
    Dekoda
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by nekroturkey View Post
    Easy, because Abyssea wouldn't be an option. It was a product made by Matsui and the new development team when they raised the level cap. "Classic" would encompass everything from Tanaka-era.
    Abyssea came out in June 2010. Matsui wasn't Producer then, he wasn't even Director yet. Easily encompasses "Tanaka-era", since he didn't leave until 2012.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dekoda; 05-20-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    Siren -- 99 THF / RNG / COR / BRD / BST / PLD / NIN / SCH / PUP
    [http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/6834-To-the-Devs-Character-Transfer-Service]
    Support this thread!

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    Disagreeing with your personal opinion is not trolling.

Trolling is intentionally using inflammatory language and insincerely disagreeing with people to start a fight or trick people.
    False, and considering that he has done the last part quite a bit is obvious. I also gave an example of one of his posts.
    (2)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    What strikes me as incredibly amusing in this whole argument is that there's actually no need to build any kind of legacy server.
    All the ingredients to make an artificially capped enviroment are right here, with all of today's QoL improvements.

All you need is a group of reliable people that want to start a legacy group with you.
    This exists among all MMOs, yet people don't do it unless their has been a progression servers made. This has been discussed to death in the several threads that always come up for this,

Back on topic

If we were to compare the demand to not demand based off the people that view this forums, just look at earlier threads. There has always been a higher demand for these servers than not, if you were to base it off these forums. Which any intelligent person would know is not a majority view of the playerbase at all, let alone a view for the people who don't even play the game anymore.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...on-servers.21/

Take a minute and go through that pages and pages of threads there of people who haven't even been to their forums for like 13 years who just discovered their TLP. If you think these forums is any indication of demand or not demand, you guys are sorely mistaken.

The only thing you can really base the success of your product off is the success of other companies doing similar stuff. You can't use WoW clones as an example of it failing, because it isn't similar, this is still an FFXI product. Doing a progression server has worked for any MMO I've ever seen do it. Maybe there is some out there it hasn't worked for, but I haven't seen it. Also like many users have pointed out, there is a high demand for it on places we aren't suppose to talk about, and if any of you have taken a statistics class, that is more than enough sample size to support the idea.
    (2)

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast