Thread: Patch Download?

Character
    Rainehx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Patch Download?

Ahhhh 8 hours to download what is apparently a 200mb patch.

Now SE when you said you where going to let us relive past memories with ROV I didn't expect you to mean like this, acceptable back in the early days then but its 2015!

/looks for smoke signals, maybe faster.

p.s on 50meg without contention, it ant me!
    (1)

Player
    must be some big files or something cuz i have a good connection with cable internet and my download is crawling too. been going for over three hours and just hit 28%. whats the deal SE?
    (0)

1) It's a lot of files, because it's essentially adding an expansion, like Abyssea patches did.

2) This is a very publicised patch for a new expansion, so everyone is really eager to check it out, especially because the expansion is free, so everyone gets it at once.

3) The server is thus being overloaded by everyone trying to patch at once. Reddit and some other forums have the new files available to install through a ZIP file, which takes about 5 minutes to download, and then only the Check Files step needs to be done. If you're not on console, that's a way to patch faster and take load off the update servers.

Quote Originally Posted by jbtexan View Post
    must be some big files or something cuz i have a good connection with cable internet and my download is crawling too. been going for over three hours and just hit 28%. whats the deal SE?
    Your connection is fine, it's SE's connection that is being the bottleneck. Thousands of people are hammering the update server all at once. It's like you leaving your house to go to BestBuy for midnight release of a major game. The path out of your house is just used by you, but the door to the store has a huge line waiting to get in. You're waiting not because your resources are strained, but because the store's resources are strained to handle the traffic.
    (0)
    Last edited by bungiefanNA; 05-15-2015 at 03:01 AM.
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainehx View Post
    Ahhhh 8 hours to download what is apparently a 200mb patch.

Now SE when you said you where going to let us relive past memories with ROV I didn't expect you to mean like this, acceptable back in the early days then but its 2015!

/looks for smoke signals, maybe faster.

p.s on 50meg without contention, it ant me!
    10 hours for me.

So your 50megs is helping.

I ended up hitting the cancel button. Looks like my computer has something to do tonight while I sleep.
    (0)

They cap the connection, so no matter how fast your download speed is you can't go faster than they allow.

Also the file system is archaic so it takes ages.
    (0)

Character
    Rainehx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Yes it may be an "expansion" but as also noted it can be downloaded in 5mins elsewhere so its not that huge.
    Yet some would rather get it the official way, they shouldn't be forced to grab some file off mega.

They do cap the connection, originally it was said it was due to the ps2 write speed/buffering ability's or something,
    Im not sure why it would be hard to differentiate between the platforms and adjust accordingly.

That said now that those limitations are no longer relevant, I thought it was a subject perhaps worth revisiting.
    Maybe those caps can be raised and some bandwitch stolen from the FFXIV servers, because it is a bit silly as is.

Edit:upto to 9hours40mins now, wait im sure its suppose to be going the otherway
    (0)
    Last edited by Rainehx; 05-15-2015 at 04:06 AM.

You don't have to download from Mega, It's now on torrents, DropBox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.

The update server was overloaded when I tried the official update, and I got disconnected 4 times during downloading before I gave up, around the time the patch started being distributed via other means. It effectively was the same as my normal method of installing the game and updates, from a backup of my FFXI folder. This guy just captured the folder structure with the files that were updated in the patch yesterday. They have been vetted on plenty of FFXI forums and malware scans as not being altered files vs the ones downloaded via POL, because they are the ones downloaded via POL.

I don't know why you wouldn't use the better option, when vetted by the community. The source of the files doens't matter if they are the exact same files you would otherwise get, and they solve the problem faster than SE can.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Rainehx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    You don't have to download from Mega, It's now on torrents, DropBox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.

The update server was overloaded when I tried the official update, and I got disconnected 4 times during downloading before I gave up, around the time the patch started being distributed via other means. It effectively was the same as my normal method of installing the game and updates, from a backup of my FFXI folder. This guy just captured the folder structure with the files that were updated in the patch yesterday. They have been vetted on plenty of FFXI forums and malware scans as not being altered files vs the ones downloaded via POL, because they are the ones downloaded via POL.

I don't know why you wouldn't use the better option, when vetted by the community. The source of the files doens't matter if they are the exact same files you would otherwise get, and they solve the problem faster than SE can.
    You clearly miss understand, I think most people know all about how to do it, how it works and everything.

The point is we shouldn't have to, if I wish to download it by legitimate means as per the pol rules that shouldn't take 10 hours.

To keep posting suggesting using those other means is helping none and detracting from the point, which baffles me as even those
    who are used to doing it the "manual" way would surly wish to simplify the process.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rainehx; 05-15-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Character
    Lllen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Yeah I feel like I'm back in the early xbox and pc, started at 11pm today and it still says 10 hours. I dropped and restarted to see if that helped, it didn't. My pc downloads fast, I pay alot to get higher speed and this is like molasses in Jan.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    This patch download has done wonders for my housework, it is spotless in here, cleaner than its been in years!
    (3)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast