Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isal View Post
    I find it interesting that you talk about how people need to get their heads around F2P because people associate it with bad F2P games, meanwhile you're convinced to the level of clairvoyance as to how Nexon's client for a game made by someone else is going to turn out, presumably due to associating Nexon with bad games (many of which are F2P, oddly enough).
    The games that nexon services aren't necessarily all bad, it's more the fact that they're usually pretty heavily pay-to-win in their F2P model. Some of the games are actually not bad at all if you can look past the P2W.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The games that nexon services aren't necessarily all bad, it's more the fact that they're usually pretty heavily pay-to-win in their F2P model. Some of the games are actually not bad at all if you can look past the P2W.
    I can understand that, but that doesn't guarantee that Final Fantasy XI Mobile will go the same way. Square Enix has already proven that they take their Final Fantasy IP very seriously (considering the massive overhaul of Final Fantasy XIV), they're partnering with Nexon for the mobile client, but that doesn't necessarily mean Nexon's being given full autonomous control over every last aspect of the game. If SE was able to state this early on that the mobile client will at least begin with the first one or two expansions at launch, it suggests they didn't simply hand the Final Fantasy XI rights over to Nexon and say "Do whatever you want".

It just seems contradictory to ask people to overlook the bad F2P games out there in favor of FFXI going F2P, while damning the mobile client simply because Nexon's the one developing it, despite Nexon never even handling an IP as major as Final Fantasy in the past. The closest I've seen is the handling of "Counter-Strike Online" and "Eve-Online" in regions outside of North America.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isal View Post
    I can understand that, but that doesn't guarantee that Final Fantasy XI Mobile will go the same way. Square Enix has already proven that they take their Final Fantasy IP very seriously (considering the massive overhaul of Final Fantasy XIV), they're partnering with Nexon for the mobile client, but that doesn't necessarily mean Nexon's being given full autonomous control over every last aspect of the game. If SE was able to state this early on that the mobile client will at least begin with the first one or two expansions at launch, it suggests they didn't simply hand the Final Fantasy XI rights over to Nexon and say "Do whatever you want".

It just seems contradictory to ask people to overlook the bad F2P games out there in favor of FFXI going F2P, while damning the mobile client simply because Nexon's the one developing it, despite Nexon never even handling an IP as major as Final Fantasy in the past. The closest I've seen is the handling of "Counter-Strike Online" and "Eve-Online" in regions outside of North America.
    It's quite possible that SE's agreement with Nexon allows them to do certain things with the game and doesnt' allow other things, and that we don't have anything to worry about. I don't have a high end mobile phone so theres no chance I'll be playing this, but I don't think people should instantly write it off just because Nexon is involved, as you said.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It's quite possible that SE's agreement with Nexon allows them to do certain things with the game and doesnt' allow other things, and that we don't have anything to worry about. I don't have a high end mobile phone so theres no chance I'll be playing this, but I don't think people should instantly write it off just because Nexon is involved, as you said.
    I think some just wanna throw the doom and gloom party too soon. I can understand the anxiety for those who've put far more time into the game than I have.

Personally, my mobile phone is a Lumia 635 Windows Phone... Which means it's not going to get FFXI Mobile. However, I do have a galaxy tab pro on the Android platform, so I am at the very least morbidly curious how FFXI Mobile will turn out.

Edit: As for the "high end", I doubt it'll need to be a high end. MMORPGs are typically developed for as broad a range of hardware specs as possible to increase the potential playerbase. My Galaxy Tab Pro was a $400 tablet back when it launched, but a year or so later it had already dropped to $200, possibly less today. I'm not saying one should go out and get a tablet just for this game, but if you find yourself needing one for different tasks, FFXI Mobile would only be a bonus, assuming it doesn't fail miserably.
    (0)
    Last edited by Isal; 05-27-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Sadly I do have a tablet but it's a Windows 8.1 tablet (I wanted something that could run most of the same software my PC could run, and I have FFXI and FFXIV installed on it ) and I thought about pairing it up with a phone similar to the one you mentioned. It's a shame Windows Phone isn't getting the same kind of app support as the others, but it has some nice features.

I suppose I'm probably grossly underestimating typical smartphone hardware.
    (0)

Character
    Allestra
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainehx View Post
    The problem with this is that most of the players are happy with the system, the players that have subbed for 10+ years like and enjoy the game as is.
    These players have sustained the game thought the bad times, so to make the jump to a f2p system where people can buy progress is going to upset a lot of people, they will
    likely lose that part of the player base, while yes attracting those more akin to the f2p system.

Id really hope SE would rather a consistent income and security from subs they know will come as in times past. rather than a bunch of people who will come
    along sink a little money in it on month one and either leave with no real investment to stay or possibly not buying anything again.

But who knows, its like Stompa said, this is a classic game, people do enjoy it as is as many did when the updates had stoped previously
    But SE foolishly catered for those who demanded everything easy and on a plate, which drove away a lot of people, and now that the updates are stopping
    all those who demanded everything was given to them will leave, they cant have their new easy to obtain shinny s every month.

So I really do hope SE learned and wont add f2p and screw over their current player base, because imo it will die even faster if they do.
    ERRR...people were leaving ffxi many mayyyyy years ago, "catering" had absolutely nothing to do with
    much of the player loss, however, no communiction from SE, and a stagnant ,inflexible attitude certainly did!

All the things they have changed especially the QoL changes should have been implemented
    yearssssss ago before so many had left.

As for ftp?...I too have played and stayed subbed continually for over the 10yr mark to ffxi.
    I see nothing wrong with any ftp games that I also play, nothing!

BUT those ftp games still evolve, IF ffxi has no new content past Nov (and tbh Im not sure if thats true
    or not), but if there is nothing new after, then even ftp doesnt make any sense to me.

A reduction in fees , yes, but ftp would have to offer something worth buying to make any money initially and continually.
    I just cant see that happening in fxi.

Even if we could buy all the best gear and all the best weapons...kk...then what? lol
    Stand around in jeuno looking good....or go kill everything in the game over and over and over for....what exactly?
    The "shelf life" of any game that is again soon to be stagnant is short if theres nothing to look forward to!!

I do think a sub reduction is realistic and fair.

As much as I like ftp games (as well as sub based games), ffxi just has nothing to offer if the
    game itself has no more content added in which to enjoy the purchases.

At any rate its up to SE, the sub fees for me arent an issue really but once I have achieved my personal goals thenit will be time to say goodbye. FFXI has been a wonderful game over the years, enjoy it more now then before tbh.

But if nothing is ever added (and i dont mean the occasional spell change, thats not enough)then
    the end is just...reality... ftp/sub/ wont save it.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    Pretty sure the mobile version will be F2P with microtransactions because one of the biggest F2P mmo companies is running it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allestra View Post
    ERRR...people were leaving ffxi many mayyyyy years ago, "catering" had absolutely nothing to do with
    much of the player loss, however, no communiction from SE, and a stagnant ,inflexible attitude certainly did!

All the things they have changed especially the QoL changes should have been implemented
    yearssssss ago before so many had left.

As for ftp?...I too have played and stayed subbed continually for over the 10yr mark to ffxi.
    I see nothing wrong with any ftp games that I also play, nothing!

BUT those ftp games still evolve, IF ffxi has no new content past Nov (and tbh Im not sure if thats true
    or not), but if there is nothing new after, then even ftp doesnt make any sense to me.

A reduction in fees , yes, but ftp would have to offer something worth buying to make any money initially and continually.
    I just cant see that happening in fxi.

Even if we could buy all the best gear and all the best weapons...kk...then what? lol
    Stand around in jeuno looking good....or go kill everything in the game over and over and over for....what exactly?
    The "shelf life" of any game that is again soon to be stagnant is short if theres nothing to look forward to!!

I do think a sub reduction is realistic and fair.

As much as I like ftp games (as well as sub based games), ffxi just has nothing to offer if the
    game itself has no more content added in which to enjoy the purchases.

At any rate its up to SE, the sub fees for me arent an issue really but once I have achieved my personal goals thenit will be time to say goodbye. FFXI has been a wonderful game over the years, enjoy it more now then before tbh.

But if nothing is ever added (and i dont mean the occasional spell change, thats not enough)then
    the end is just...reality... ftp/sub/ wont save it.
    I agree, however I think the point of a free/hybrid/cheaper sub is to make the game more financially viable so that Square can start adding content again. They are stopping updates because they don't see it as making enough money as they warrant worthwhile.
    (0)

They are stopping updates because the development hardware is dying, and to do a long full expansion risks the equipment failing before they finish. Best to wrap up things while you have the capability than to be in the middle of something and lose the capability, leaving an incomplete storyline forever after.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    Pretty sure the mobile version will be F2P with microtransactions because one of the biggest F2P mmo companies is running it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    They are stopping updates because the development hardware is dying, and to do a long full expansion risks the equipment failing before they finish. Best to wrap up things while you have the capability than to be in the middle of something and lose the capability, leaving an incomplete storyline forever after.
    I think this is a reason they gave, I don't think it's the truthful one.

We are talking about a company that used ps2 limitations for the entire life of the game, and that went back on many of the things it said were impossible when it suited them.

The thing I find odd with players is, why would anyone be against f2p at all? Makes no sense, you get more players, the company makes more money, the company makes pretty outfits you might want to buy. Is it a selfish outlook in that you only want to pay a minimum amount and no more for anything?

I mean if it's like ffxiv where you actually have a choice then fine I can understand it but since ffxi is not getting anymore worthwhile updates after november I really don't see why anyone would be against it.
    (0)

Whether you think that's the reason or not, I think it's pretty valid. Everything dies eventually, even the Ps2, the old systems are starting to die off as it is, so if you got a working one, keep it in pristine condition.

It's no longer produced, or repaired by Sony (likely because the cost was sooo high for outdated tech to be made, costs start to go back up after a point in something's age), so when they die, their dead, and with Sony shutting down the dev networks (as it sounds like they used them) it's not going to be possible to make stuff, and so, FFXI's development beyond things based on stuff already in the game has to end. To remake the game would be astronomical in cost, might as well make FFXI-2, though we don't know they aren't, but I'm still hoping for FFXI server kits, so we can run our own with our friends, and get dungeon master controls ^^ That's all the "offline" we need.

We're against F2P, because F2P is a terrible model for customers and company, and it would have no appreciable outcome on FFXI's future in the ways it needs.
    Why do you think things in those stores cost so bloody much? It's because they know half or more won't pay a thing for the game, and right now, paying customers is what FFXI needs, and it won't get that either way you slice it.

So basically you have a bunch of freeloaders, on top of that, F2P draws the worst crowds of people, something FFXI has been able to keep away for 13 years, it's not something most of the veteran players want to deal with in FFXI's golden years, and it's not something that would benefit the game.

It's not selfish, it's realistic, because we know what will happen.
    And it's not selfish to wish to keep paying for a game you love. It doesn't matter if it excludes others, because their the selfish ones who don't wish to pay and be able to play, they have a choice, but they want a free ride, and there's plenty of other MMO's that offer that path. I just got an email not too long ago that Blade and Soul is still being worked on and may release this year, there's another F2P game right there, if not at launch, it likely will shortly after given NCsofts reputation.

So if gamers are just too cheap to pay FFXI's fairly reasonable sum to play such an amazing title that can hold you for a hundred times longer then most AAA titles released now for 60$, then, imo, they aren't worth playing with, and they aren't the group of people FFXI needs.

People have shown again with FFXIV, that they will pay if its a good game even these days.
    So there you go. All the reason you need is right there.

Personally, I'm happy paying for my access to FFXI. And I'll keep doing that until the day SE refuses that money, which will likely be when FFXI is gone forever, and I'm ok with that.... just not the end of ffxi ;; *cries* But thankfully, I think we still have some years left before that's a threat.
    (5)
    Last edited by Bluestar2kx; 05-31-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast