Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Pretty sure the mobile version will be F2P with microtransactions because one of the biggest F2P mmo companies is running it.
    (0)

Player
    While possible, I'm not sure I see the point, since they have all the opportunity to do that with Grand Masters, not sure why they'd put the money into 2 separate mobile games with the same formula.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Isal View Post
    While possible, I'm not sure I see the point, since they have all the opportunity to do that with Grand Masters, not sure why they'd put the money into 2 separate mobile games with the same formula.
    grandmasters is nothing like the mobile FFXI, it's an entirely different game of its own that simply features characters, imagery, etc from FFXI.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    grandmasters is nothing like the mobile FFXI, it's an entirely different game of its own that simply features characters, imagery, etc from FFXI.
    I just meant in terms of f2p/microtransactions. Between the Project Vana'diel games and Record Keeper, just seems like they'd be flooding the mobile market a bit. But if the mobile client is F2P with microtransactions, so be it.
    (0)

Don't forget that they have Pictologica (a picross-based game using similar systems to Record Keeper), with puzzle-based combat, and in Japan they also have Airborne Brigade still online (last I checked anyway, NA version was shut down last year).
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

I really can't see FFXI lasting into 2017 without changing business model, too many crushing blows coming.

It's just so sad to think that Vanadiel will disappear forever and we will never be able to play the game and explore the world again, in such a short amount of time.

All the other classic mmo titles evolved and still exist.
    (0)

Recently read an interview with Matsui about free to play, hilariously they wanted to do it but they didn't want to spend money.

Matsui: Well one thing we were thinking was to turn the current FFXI into a free-to-play game by adding mechanisms where there are additional fees for in-game items that can be purchased for real money. We also thought about this when we were considering how to increase revenue without bringing in new customers. However, by going in that direction, we might have had more refurbishment costs involved, so we didn't want to do that.
    Saito: Also just talking about possibilities, we had a number of discussions about whether we should try porting to Playstation Vita.
    Matsui: When we thought about the things that would need to be fixed or remedied to get that to work and tried to come up with the costs, the estimates were pretty enormous. It wasn't very realistic.
    (1)

Character
    Dragomair
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    If the game doesn't receive income, Square enix will stop hosting it. It costs a lot of money to just keep a game online, nevermind support registrations/character creations/fix bugs etc.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragomair View Post
    If the game doesn't receive income, Square enix will stop hosting it. It costs a lot of money to just keep a game online, nevermind support registrations/character creations/fix bugs etc.
    What does this have to do with the topic? free to play makes way more money than p2p.

Also yes, the mobile version is being run by Nexon. For anyone that knows Nexon, you know how that game is going to be.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Castanica View Post
    [...] Also yes, the mobile version is being run by Nexon. For anyone that knows Nexon, you know how that game is going to be.
    I find it interesting that you talk about how people need to get their heads around F2P because people associate it with bad F2P games, meanwhile you're convinced to the level of clairvoyance as to how Nexon's client for a game made by someone else is going to turn out, presumably due to associating Nexon with bad games (many of which are F2P, oddly enough).
    (3)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast