Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Gear set for returning player?

I've recently returned to the game after a lot of FFXIV, and would like to gear myself up to the new standards. Now, I know ilvl 119 is the cap at the moment, but for the time being I'm looking at the ilvl 117 options as I doubt I can farm the top tier gear in lower level stuff.

So, for the time being I have espial armor and eminent baghnakhs. However, I always like having armor native to a region to wear during quests there, and while looking at that stumbled on Shneddick +1 armor. Seems to have the same stats, but slightly higher across the board. The only problem is, I lose the set bonus of +10% crit from the espial set. I also don't know enough theorycrafting to tell if the homestead cesti are better than my current baghnakhs.

I do have the bayld, and I'll be snagging the NQ at least for glamour purposes. But if I can get the looks AND an upgrade, even better.

Also, any advice on easy accessories to snag that would be good is appreciated.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing: which seems better to upgrade, AF or Relic armor?
    (0)
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Remember that this game is all about having multiple pieces of gear for each slot to swap during combat depending on which abilities you are using. Reforging Relic/Artifact/Empyrean depends on what job, and what slot. You rarely will wear an entire set of just one of them. With sparks armor, you should be able to join Alluvion Skirmish and get a level 119 set of armor from there for your job, which you then augment with stones from said skirmish. Then there's Vagary, which has its own better drops, and clearing it allows you to reforge Empyrean armor.

SParks gear is to get you to a baseline starting level, then you do events for better gear with that armor. IIRC< Oatixur is still pretty good if you can get into a Delve group.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Oh I know. As it is I have TP, chakra, chi.blast, and WS sets. Admittedly it's just swapping accessories and AF/Relic atm. I do imagine near the end I'll have to upgrade them all, but for the time being I was just a little concerned with doing what's most effective. Something for extra mnd takes a back seat to TP and WS and all that ya know?

Actually, that also ties into why the Shneddick set appealed to me. All the stats seem the same between it and Espial, except Shneddick being slightly higher stats and Espial having a set bonus. Problem was even if the set bonus makes it better, soon as I replace ONE piece I lose that advantage.
    (0)
    Last edited by Urthdigger; 05-13-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Character
    Sandmaster
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Just to give a very quick response, for chi blast the only piece that needs putting into it is AF2 head with the upgrade to Penance so when your hitting something solo, with your easily achieved 50% Subtle Blow, Penance will reduce mob tp gain by a further 30%. There no need to use a boost, or macro in MND.

Chakra set is important because those 1.5K Chakra's make a massive difference to a 400-500HP Chakra. Even now its still nice everytime I use it, usually now in WKR as I don't seem to be on MNK nearly as much but its still a big help.

More importantly is -DT sets. Many mobs, NM's, HNM's will deal physical dmg and tp move that hurt, having gear there to swap into is very useful. There are good -DT options available. Qaaxo Gear is good 119 sub in for -15% PDT, add in 2 Dark rings with 4-6% -PDT, BB -5% DT, then another -3% on Oatixiur which will presumably be your first H2H, Repulse Mantle for another 4%PDT and sexy knockback+2 (thats purchasable from Peacekeepers coalition for bayld (I think)) and straight DT taken pieces like Twilight torque and the harder Defending ring. I know theres other pieces but those are the bits I use bar the H2H and I know that needs updating as you can probably reach even higher numbers now. The reason I use the Qaaxo set for the -15% PDT on them is because if I need the set left on for a while the Qaaxo gear also has sound dot output.

Your 119 AF will just be used for macro in pieces with the possible exception of Anchorite's gaiters as although its an outdated tactic now, 119 Emp legs would go very nice together although then your potentially giving up off tyhe top of my mind 6% Triple attack from having and upgrading the Taeon legs and feet.

Same with 119 relic armor i'm afraid, up until Taeon came out, wearing some of the upgraded 119 AF & Relic pieces were good place holder's for other pieces, that said, I'll go out on a limb and say 119 AF3 body is our best piece, even with Impetus down? There is also the whole load of weapons and armor that has come out with this first RoV update.

I suppose there is alot there to do, and I hope you have a friend or a way to help farm Rem's tale's 6-10, its been those number chapter's that has stopped me from being able to make multiple JSE 119 pieces as most of them come bit by bit from Sparks for me - earning Sparks can be quick in Abyssea as with all the crit rate+ Atma's you can hit 100% crit rate and hit over 500dmg per hit making that one Sparks quest very easy - can build up a load of Sparks farming things like Dark rings or just merits as their is a campaign on? might of finished now.

Anyway getting 109 JSE equipment is very easy as you can do all the rem tale fights 1-5 with 1-2 others and 3 trusts. Getting all the home points for rem tale 1-5 zones is recomended along with the 5 home points in sky for easy travel. Sorry lots I could say but in a rush - Good Luckl
    (0)