Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What's square going to do now?

Pretty much wondering myself what Square is going to do now sense they want to stop support for ps2 and 360. I know some people loved this idea saying something "its only bring us down" but whats the point of doing that if they don't up the graphics anyway for PC and just let the game die? Square isn't going to make free to play they done already said that. They would rather see the game die first before it goes free to play. I wish Square would make this game in HD. I'd be willing to help set up a fund to raise money to help support if they want to play "it would take up to much money". I would give the cheeck personally to the President if i could.

What I would like to see is this, A remake of the game in HD, if they want to port to ps4 and or xbox would be up to them, I wouldn't be hard to port to ps4 sense its x86 anyway. Don't turn this game into WoW please! Let us keep our hard earned gear just up the graphics. Keep all the quests. And a new expansion with it the new launch maybe? Or add it later on. Well the quest thing i guess some of the ones that nobody does doesn't have to be ported I don't know. I would always like to see Battle chocobo's. And It would be really nice to see them add 3 new playable race's. The Kuuluu, the Zilert and Male mithra. You could also add more functions to to making new characters and let older players remake there person or give them the option to keep it older style.

And no I don't want to play 14 I beat it fast its boring before anybody says that ^_^
    (15)

PS2 support relies on Sony keeping the DNAS servers working, and FFXI is the only game still using those servers. They explained why they aren't doing this in the Freshly Picked, development of an upgraded client would cost as much as just making a new game, like FFXIV. Their priority at this point is to cut expenses, not increase revenue.
    (3)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Fiyaro
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    They said they crunched the numbers and its just not worth the expense.

The game is in its death throws, there is really no point for a company to sink the amount of money needed to do this in a game that has such a tiny player base. If they had more players, sure, but the gamer mentality these days of "I WANT IT NOOOOOW" doesn't fit with games like xi. So even a reboot would have to make it more player friendly and the game wouldn't be the same one we know today anyway.

As sad as it is and as much as I would love to see a Vana'diel reborn, nothing can last forever, maybe its time to see what else is out there beyond the narrow scope of wow and xiv, if those don't suit you. But just be prepared for not finding anything that compares.
    (1)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    It would have worked if they had starting writing a PC-only shiny version around 2009, which would have taken a huge amount of time and effort to finish, would probably be hitting the market round about now. With enough advertising and positive media reviews it would have sold in huge quantities, new players who like easy games / non-teamwork games etc. would have been thrilled with the shiny HD Trusts that talk and dance and twirl while they help you clear content easily etc. I believe it would have been a far greater success than 14 was.

But in terms of the here and now, it is probably too late to start years of rebuilding FFXI into a bells-and-whistles shiny PC version. This enormous project should have been started while FFXI was still drawing large amounts of subs, and perhaps instead of 13/14/etc.

I like the old basic graphics in FFXI, I think they're cute lol. Besides I'm too busy fighting mobs and tweaking gear combinations etc., to stand around admiring my character's realistic tinted eyelashes. In the very shiny games I always seem to do that, stand around going "oooh lookit det pwetty face" / "oooh lookit me jumpin around!" and so on, while at the same time not really feeling that I want to do the battle/mission/quest content because it usually feels like the devs only added it because they had to, not because they had a burning desire to make it an immersive content-based RPG experience.

FFXI is the opposite, the amount of love and inspiration that went into the original content/lore side of the game is staggering, and the graphics are still OK but less important to me than the playable world.
    (8)
    Last edited by Stompa; 05-09-2015 at 10:25 AM.

I'd say 2005-2006 would have been better to do that, when the global release with the EU client and the Xbox 360 were getting the game attention, and they still had a lot of the original dev team available.
    (2)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I'd be willing to donate as well, but realistically they would never take donations being that its SE, a major corporation. That and we probably couldn't afford a remake of XI at all, probably costs millions.
    (1)

Nice to see you people all say the same lame thing. I said I would get donations! Kick starter does it all the time so its possible
    (2)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    I'd say 2005-2006 would have been better to do that, when the global release with the EU client and the Xbox 360 were getting the game attention, and they still had a lot of the original dev team available.
    I agree with that you are saying, I just picked 2009~ for the reason that after six years they knew that this game wasn't a "flash in the pan" and that a lot of people were still logging in, even just to do campaign battles and pixie weapons etc. lol.

In 2005 the game was still quite new and they couldn't be sure if so many people were just playing it because it was new. By 08~10 they must have seen that this was a popular long-term game which many players from all ages and walks of life were happy to spend most of their gaming time on. And therefor that it was a good business decision to revamp it into a deluxe modern PC game, for the existing players and the wider gaming community.
    (1)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Isn't it pretty shameful for a major corporation to take kick starter funds? I can't recall any major ones doing something like that, but anyways I would be behind it for sure.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritsuka View Post
    Nice to see you people all say the same lame thing. I said I would get donations! Kick starter does it all the time so its possible
    This isn't some 25 year old making some crappy documentary on a shoestring budget. It's a major corporation designing a hugely complex game. If it's gonna crowdfund, it's going to need it from wealthy investors donating hundreds of thousands at a time, not a bunch of avearge Joes sending in Paypal donations for 25 to 100 bucks apiece.
    (3)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast