Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Emdief
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90

SAM in history, why no H2H skill?

Considering samurai in history, I've always been wondering why SAM job doesn't have skill in hand to hand and staff, and why archery skill is that low. We're talking about people who were masters in jujutsu and kyudo, and there were several dojos that taught the use of staff, beside the spear (which is, of couse, already one of SAM's skills).
    I'd like to know what other people think about this.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdief View Post
    Considering samurai in history, I've always been wondering why SAM job doesn't have skill in hand to hand and staff, and why archery skill is that low. We're talking about people who were masters in jujutsu and kyudo, and there were several dojos that taught the use of staff, beside the spear (which is, of couse, already one of SAM's skills).
    I'd like to know what other people think about this.
    Simple answer: Game balance is more important than historical accuracy.

Fantasy answer: Vana'diel is not Earth. They don't share the same history. Should mages not exist because magic doesn't exist on Earth?
    (0)

Character
    Karumac
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Still think SAM should have a little native access to Archery WS, even if to only charge the Murti's Bow.
    (0)

H2H skill would be nice for historical accuracy but you do have the game balance that I agree is probably the reason there is no H2H natural skill with a SAM on the other hand the only other job that can use the Relic Bow is the Sam which would state to me that there should be a natural WS for archery even though it is a low ranking skill..
    (0)
    Last edited by GERM; 03-08-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karumac View Post
    Still think SAM should have a little native access to Archery WS, even if to only charge the Murti's Bow.
    yes native WS archery! or at least arching arrow available /rng (quint spear AA spam with RR should rock)
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by hiko View Post
    yes native WS archery! or at least arching arrow available /rng (quint spear AA spam with RR should rock)
    ppl with relic bow use /rng and the 2-3 hit katana for archery ws spam, if u rly want to use bow as sam go ahead and /rng, should be fun although still need to move away from mob for ws.
    (0)

Character
    Xhaolyne
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    Haha SAM with h2h..thats funny. In that case why doesn't ninja? -A
    SAM should at least get -B for bow though. SAM/RNG is beautiful.
    (0)

Character
    Kyrial
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by xhaolyne View Post
    Haha SAM with h2h..thats funny. In that case why doesn't ninja? -A
    SAM should at least get -B for bow though. SAM/RNG is beautiful.
    NIN does have E hand-to-hand skill. :P

That said, what I want to know is why they left us with the C+ throwing skill, but never gave us anything to throw. I know there were some throwing coins in the .dat files that never got added, but considering they apparently gave up on that idea, why leave us with a skill we'd have such trouble leveling for so long? Our only options are the throwing items from sky gods, the DMG:1 chakrams bought with Imperial Standing, Stygian Ash from pixies, and Aureole from Absolute Virtue. In other words, stuff that all jobs can equip.
    (0)
    All Missions Complete
    Captain, Medal of Altana ∮∮∮∮
    Unique quests completed: 1063
    Records of Eminence completed: 801

Character
    Paulu
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Instead of worrying about h2h skill I think we should be more concerned about giving SAM some form of katana skill. It would make SAM more useful in terms of abyssea !!.
    (0)

Regardless, it's a Japanese game and you'd think they'd been a little more accurate with SAM's skills. They got the Polearm right, as Samurai actually used their Naginata more often than their Katana. But their Archery skill should also have been either B+ or B-, not C+ and had most (maybe not all like Sidewinder) Archery WS natively.

Gandiva should stay RNG only.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast