Thread: Ragnarok

Player

Ragnarok

Why does this feel so underpowered for the time investment required to obtain it? Some of the other relics are running into similar problems as well.

Scourge is weak and barely worth the use at 3000 TP (definitely not good enough to spam at 1000 TP) other than for Aftermath, and the duration isn't as long as Empyrean's, why? Scourge at least should do more damage/have better modifiers.

Finally, damage is way too low. 224 dmg on ilvl 119 RELIC Great Sword (the name RAGNAROK itself says a lot for the FF series) for all that time investment, yet in comparison the easily-obtainable MacBain's damage is significantly higher, especially after a +dmg augment which can get it up to 300+ damage.

edit: I just want to be sure. SE introduced RME weapons to be the best in the game, no? After such a major time investment there shouldn't even be a question if something else is better. That is currently not the case. "MacBain is better? Ragnarok is better? I don't know, better test it out!"

Please fix.

edit2: Here's a couple possible solutions.
    1a. Raise the damage. Make it equivalent to the highest Damage GS currently out. Done. Simple. No confusion.

1b(rant). And everytime new weapons are introduced into the game, update all the R/M/E for crying out loud and stop slacking off. Slapping all the players in the face who spent a considerable amount of time compared to those who just did the latest event and got the new weapon drop. Seriously I mean, how many hours of work are we talking here for ONE PERSON to change the numbers? If it means it has to go up and down the chain-of-command in the company then I will ask, "Why? Every single person on the FFXI team should be on the same page when it comes to R/M/E. Are they supposed to be the best in the game? Yes? Then raise the freakin damage." There should be a company protocol to ensure that new weapons being introduced are not stronger than R/M/E and if they are, then the R/M/E should be buffed at the SAME TIME as the new weapons are introduced. Or just regularly check it, it can be a different person everytime like one of those check-off lists you might have in the bathroom at Square Enix headquarters so when someone cleans the bathroom they sign their name and date in the next empty box. That person makes sure things are the way they're supposed to be and if they're not, that person fixes it on the spot no questions asked. /rant

2. Add a way to make these relics "Superior 1" and even "Superior 2". This route will obviously take more work though as it will mean this must be done to all R/M/E.

edit: 3. Add a function where in order to upgrade your relic, you need to trade in these new high damage weapons. Some NPC can "fuse them together" to empower the RME. For those that don't have an RME, then you can still obtain and use the new weapon effectively like usual. (Idea from Ethereal)

Anyway, after a little fooling around, I think it's safe to say that the base damage is the deal-breaker. 224 damage Ragnarok weaponskill vs 297 damage Malfeasance weaponskill (similar stats) the results are depressing. I am pretty sure this is where I stop playing DRK and possibly ffxi altogether. Unfortunate. I returned to the game from a long break about six months ago and have been doing dynamis almost daily since. I now own Mandau and Ragnarok. I got Mandau to speed up farming for other stuff. I was satisfied with that dagger yet I feel like i've wasted so much time every day grinding the 2 hour dynamis for my ultimate goal which was Ragnarok. I'm now burned out of Dynamis and it feels hopeless trying to invest my time into some kind of "ultimate weapon". All those times people asked me "Why are you doing Ragnarok? _(insert weapon name)_ is better." - I understand now. I was too focused on the prize to realize my mistake.

I was so excited to be back in this game, to be a part of the ffxi community again. I was so excited to FINALLY get my hands on a relic that (I felt) was nearly impossible to get years ago when I left. I was so excited to try all the new content and play at level 99. That feeling is gone now.

It's all pixels on my damn screen anyway I don't even know why i'm here wasting my time typing this.
    (5)
    Last edited by Narua; 04-28-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Player
    That's too bad
    (2)

Character
    Ferocity
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I'm all for constant relic bumps as long as some amount of effort is put toward upgrading it.

If they want people to do the content and still go for the new weapons... then how about they add a function where in order to upgrade your relic, you need to trade in these new high damage weapons. Some NPC can "fuse them together" to empower the RME. For those that don't have an RME, then you can still obtain and use the new weapon effectively like usual.
    (0)
    http://www.etherealls.com
    Prodigy - Ethereal Linkshell - Diabolos
    Ferocity - xEtherealx Linkshell - Siren
    Aegis 12/31/06
    Spharai 10/20/13
    Burtgang 01/05/15

Player
    That is a great idea! Going to update my post to show that
    (0)

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I would say Rag has had it's time in the Sun but I've always thought R/M/E should be top tier, otherwise they're just really expensive trophies.
    (0)

Character
    Prometus
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Agreed completely. R/E/M's should by far be the best weapons in the game, considering how much time and effort it takes to attain them, compared to other weapons. I think a modest adjustment would be to give each and every one of them ACC/ATK+50. Not either or... both ACC and ATK+50. That would be a good start to making them forces to be reckoned with again. Also, definitely increase the base damage. Seriously, base damage on Kikoku sucks compared to other Katanas. Same for Mandau. Same for most of them really. Maybe don't include Mythic's on this because of their twice or thrice nature, at least R/E's. There are a lot of ways these weapons could be back at the top, where they belong, rather than just be glorified trophies.
    (0)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm all for constant relic bumps as long as some amount of effort is put toward upgrading it.

If they want people to do the content and still go for the new weapons... then how about they add a function where in order to upgrade your relic, you need to trade in these new high damage weapons. Some NPC can "fuse them together" to empower the RME. For those that don't have an RME, then you can still obtain and use the new weapon effectively like usual.
    What they should have done in the first place, instead of plutons/beitetsu/boulders, was tie the upgrades to the new content. Kill X delve boss Y times, collect (large number) of Z stone, or any number of other things that would have been more involved.

But it is a fact that not all 119s are created equal, and stuff like mythic weapons should be called "merely slightly above average" weapons unless they bump RME up.
    (0)