Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

Swan Song of Vana'diel: ~Why I Won't Play the Mobile Native App~

Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui View Post
    (0:57:24~)
    Q: Will the native application be a completely separate game from the Windows version of FFXI that will continue even after March 2016?
    A: As far as accounts go, this will be a separate game, but it will be the same game in the sense that it continues the enjoyment of FFXI. What we’d like to clear up is that the native application won’t take over the current FFXI operations, but Square Enix will continue to operate and manage the current FFXI, and the native application will be developed as a new FFXI.

As far as content goes, even with the sheer volume of playable content in FFXI we won't be able to discuss this too concretely, but we think we won't start service with a lot of content lined up. We want to try and get this out to customers as fast as possible, and while it'll take some time, we'll eventually implement a good deal of content. There will definitely be restrictions on content and jobs at the start, such as only implementing up to Chains of Promathia. There are possibilities for expansive content exclusive to the native application as well. Players will eventually be able to play Rhapsodies of Vana’diel, so we'll be putting in a ton of effort to try and match or even surpass the PC version.
    Dear Square-Enix, FFXI Dev Team, and any others concerned,

I've given you my loyalties & my money for over 10 years now. I even bought every scrap of merchandise I could afford, importing CD's, books, stuffed animals, and shelling out the big bucks for both pieces of the Players' Collection jewelry.

I've made friends in real life and fallen in love with people I've met through this game. When the mobile "native app" was introduced, I thought there might be hope; that I might continue on my adventures with the character that I'd cultivated and nurtured for so long, even without MAJOR content updates, and even be able to use my phone to check in on things, even if in a limited capacity, whenever I was bored.

I could understand if there was content only accessible through mobile. I could have continued on. With this announcement, however, I realized that you just don't care anymore. No matter how much time, energy, effort, tears, and love that we players have poured into our characters, it just doesn't matter. The 1625+ quests, numerous missions, skills, experience, job points, weapons & armor of legend I toiled endlessly alone and with friends & against foes for, trusts I earned, the fellow I raised up, the gardens I tended, the house I so carefully decorated time and time again; they won't carry over.

And eventually, it WILL ALL dissipate into the ether as deleted data, since we all know that's where the PC version is heading with this decision to separate the data. The writing is on the wall.

There were so many possibilities still out there; a graphical "rebirth" of the game similar to what FFXIV underwent (using the FFXIV engine, even! Much of the monsters & other graphical data is ALREADY IMPLEMENTED in FFXIV!) would really have brought a resurgence of this game. FFXI players are nothing if not patient; patience was forced on us with HNM camping, experience parties, and almost the entirety of the content of the game in the old days.

But, the announcement of the decision to cease all major content, and on TOP of that to completely separate the mobile native app's connection to our characters is the final death knell that I hear tolling.

Truly, the "Rhapsodies" are Vana'diel's swan song.

Sincerely, and with a heavy heart,

M.B. a.k.a. "Rosalee" (Bismarck), formerly "Rosalie" (Seraph)
    (26)
    Last edited by Rosalie; 04-04-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: (Semicolon in title should have been a colon.)
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There were so many possibilities still out there; a graphical "rebirth" of the game similar to what FFXIV underwent (using the FFXIV engine, even! Much of the monsters & other graphical data is ALREADY IMPLEMENTED in FFXIV!) would really have brought a resurgence of this game. FFXI players are nothing if not patient; patience was forced on us with HNM camping, experience parties, and almost the entirety of the content of the game in the old days.
    Not 100% accurate, the mobs borrowed from XI (which many of XI's mobs were borrowed from previous games by the way, because they are "Final Fantasy") have higher poly models and higher res textures, the attacks and effects are different, etc.

Yes, yes, its a technicality

I don't know what they're thinking with the mobile app. If we can't use our existing characters on it, what the hell is the point? But also keep in mind that the mobile game is only happening because of a deal with a third party. If they didn't have that connection, it wouldn't exist and we'd get nothing at all. It's not like the mobile version being made is taking away from the possibility of something else.

I imagine they're probably going to consolidate areas and such in the mobile version because who the heck can download 20GB on mobile? Unless you're paying out the nose for an unlimited plan, it would take you months to download to your smartphone.
    (2)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I was pretty upset at the news as well. I initially thought it would be connected to the same servers or that we would at least be able to transfer somehow with our data. Now I can just see how they plan to eventually phase out the PC, hand off XI to some cheesy phone game company and focus on their beloved FFXIV. Oh well, what can we do.
    (13)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Actually, I think the bigger insult is that they're making a spinoff game, telling us all this stuff about it while also telling us we'll never be able to play it.
    (13)

Character
    Lisotte
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalie View Post
    And eventually, it WILL ALL dissipate into the ether as deleted data, since we all know that's where the PC version is heading with this decision to separate the data. The writing is on the wall.

Meanwhile back on Earth... we know from what they've said, that continuing development for FFXI will be difficult. Not to mention, expensive, particularly considering just how few people still play. Matsui is 100% right when he says that making a new version of FFXI would cost as much as a brand new MMO; SE already did that, and it's called FFXIV. Actually SE did that twice. There's no question: the way that the end of FFXI is coming, is the best way they could possibly do it. They're not shutting the servers down, and they're even still going to release version updates (albeit bugfixes and balance changes), and also they're going to ramp up with fun content tying all the expansions together by November. It's one of the smartest ways I've seen a company end an MMO. I'd rather see them continue on forever, but I am realistic here. Also I would be very surprised if the Grandmasters spinoff didn't make it over to NA at some point.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. SE created FFXI, and it is my solemn opinion that FFXI is the single greatest videogame in the history of videogames. I've played most decent games starting in 1979 on the seriously wierd kit-build computers. I really do rate FFXI higher than any game I've played in like 36~ years as a gamer. I would be happy to write out a long user report on the game to explain why it is better than other games, but tbh nobody here cares.

SE made and then added to FFXI, improved it, great advances were made, some big mistakes were made too, but overall they kept the core game bouncing along. And FFXI is here today, in all its retro majesty. I went fishing today and watched the pink fluffy clouds streaming across the Vana sky. I went and battled ferocious mobs, they still look great to me, and are exciting to battle. It is all still here. But people don't want to play it. The water is here and the horses are not drinking. Standing in town on Saturday, 430 ppl (including mules lol) on the server, no shouts for over an hour.

In summary. I blame the players. Not SE. SE created a masterpiece of videogame genius called FFXI, but people are instead playing inferior games just because those games are newer and have sugarfrosted eyecandy graphics. So, I will blame the horses that don't drink, and not the people who carried the water for the horses to drink.
    (14)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisotte View Post
    Matsui is 100% right when he says that making a new version of FFXI would cost as much as a brand new MMO; SE already did that, and it's called FFXIV.
    Except it's not, the more like a watered down version. The FFXIV analogue to mithras are just generic anime catgirls, the world is generic high fantasy, etc.
    (12)

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I still have alot to do on xi but yes, the idea of dead servers after november is taking away my enjoyement of playing somewhat. SE will never do a HD remake of this game its obvious they're focussing on xiv and no i dont want to play on a smartphone i'm in my 30's ffs, I want something to escape in after a long day of work i dont want to play something on a tiny screen, i want to immerse myself in something that has nothing to do with the reality of life.
    Yes i have tried many other mmo's out there, i've given them all a decent amount of time, sadly enough i have found nothing else that has intrigued me as much as ffxi. I do refuse to believe that there are no developers out there who want to aim for a niche market like the ffxi playerbase. Maybe the community should unite and start a crowdfunding project to find a developer that will shape our ideas, in discussion from a development and playercommunity point of view, into a financial succesfull MMO for this niche market (which of course for legal matters would have nothing to do with the world of final fantasy....which probably already is far fetched that i'm posting this on the official forum but i stopped caring kinda).
    Call me crazy, i've just been thinking alot about this since the press event.
    (6)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Character
    Nakts
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    This leaves me feeling a bit disgusted, if this is in fact the swan song for FFXI, I hope it's the same for SE. They're banking on all of us moving to FFXIV, but if we were going to do that, we'd have already moved. It's just another bad decision on their part.
    (10)

Character
    Pokes
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    With the mobile app being a different thing and our characters unlikely to transfer as a whole, it seems pretty unlikely that I'll want to play it. Maybe if there's a significant amount of things we can transfer, but right now it kinda sounds like being asked to delete my character and make a new one.
    (10)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast