Character
    Elemmire
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Single Player Future

Hey,

Would really love if, in the future when the servers fully offline (I know development is going to stop, but I imagine servers will stay on for awhile after as long as it makes money), I'd really love it if there's some kinda support to change the game to run offline and transfer our characters to a single player means (and obviously rebalance some things to be solo-able).

That's a lot of work, I know, but I'd hate for a future where I can't play FFXI at all if I have the urge cause the company no longer supports it be nice to still have the option for a single player version.
    (11)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    That would require a colossal mountain of develpment work. As you noted, development of new content will stop, so it's extremely doubtful that they'd spend the time and resources on that. When it dies, it's just goint to die, like every other online game whose support ends.

(Doesn't mean i don't want it, of course. I'm just being realistic)
    (0)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    That would require a colossal mountain of develpment work. As you noted, development of new content will stop, so it's extremely doubtful that they'd spend the time and resources on that. When it dies, it's just goint to die, like every other online game whose support ends.

(Doesn't mean i don't want it, of course. I'm just being realistic)
    No, actually, it wouldn't. All they'd have to do is either release the server software, or straight up release the source for it. It's not that much work. There are plenty of other online games which are still going on long after the official servers closed thanks to fans.
    (3)

Search" ffxi 2015" ,a few well published, have mentioned in 2016 single player mode will be released with the mobile version,

From what I've gathered; the jpn vanadiel digest was discussed a few days ago as well;

I imagine at the "PRESS release". The press (@the event) asked questions after the interview we all watched , so their comments should trickle through their magazines thru the next few months , which is how IGN's statements are validated

There are a few sites saying it's a free to play in 2016 but will have to pay for items, which should bring back all the players banned from RMT , can't complain though if it draws in more players however I haven't logged in for 2 weeks now ;( but I do still read the forums from my iphone which still reassures me of the optismism of ffxi mobile !

I'm kinda excited to see the mobile app in 2016 but sad because I won't need to trio box which was fun
    (0)

But imagine.... Game of war and aFew other mobile apps have very loyal fan bases, ffxi will be ALL OVeR the media when it's released on mobile app, we will see so much Facebook spam when it's released which Is gonna be cool, but I'm kinda worried about what that will do to players which have already invested soooooo much time and money Into the game.

I would be satisfied when ffxi mobile reaches 1million new players this time around , all the old players that had to pay get 1 free relic or empy, because those zones will be outta control (which is why is no server merge and expect ability to change servers temporarily)

Literally now is the time to tell all your friends you played this game first! Because the new free ffxi pay for items will be like all the other FarmVille games , only this time you won't get banned for spending money.and we will have Tons more people to play with.

I honestly think this is a step in the right direction and will put brosale out of business! And we won't have to add more spam blocker tabs !
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by machini View Post
    No, actually, it wouldn't. All they'd have to do is either release the server software, or straight up release the source for it. It's not that much work. There are plenty of other online games which are still going on long after the official servers closed thanks to fans.
    There is no way in the world they'd ever release the server software, because that would allow other people to profit off their work. Also, LOL at the thought of releasing the source code. Even if they did, it would likely take years for anyone not already familiar with the project to understand it.

In most cases, private servers result in C&Ds or lawsuits.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-29-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Single player ffxi sounds like the most boring game ever.
    (4)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Character
    Elemmire
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I dunno if it'd require a TON of work, it would require a fair deal, but it's ahrd to say without fully knowing the way the code works myself (I've never looked at it or tried to find anyone who has lol).

As for it being boring? Eh, not to me. I like the world, the characters, just derping around solo anyways. I play the game more solo than with people as is so it'd still be fun to me, but to each their own.
    (2)

Character
    Ivlilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    There is no way in the world they'd ever release the server software, because that would allow other people to profit off their work. Also, LOL at the thought of releasing the source code. Even if they did, it would likely take years for anyone not already familiar with the project to understand it.

In most cases, private servers result in C&Ds or lawsuits.
    I think you grossly underestimate the love some people have for this game.
    (3)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by machini View Post
    I think you grossly underestimate the love some people have for this game.
    I don't think Alhanelem made any mention of the playerbase's love of the game. He was talking about the business and legal implications.

Why would you even want a single player offline version of an MMORPG? Isn't that what every other category of game is for?
    (2)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast