Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Verda
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Movement Speed in Town, SMN left behind (often literally)

In reviewing movement speed abilities and effects SMN is one of the 4 jobs capable an ability/magic based movement buff that isn't able to use it in one very important place for questing/getting around: towns. To review:

Usable/Castable in Town
    1. BRD Chocobo Mazurka, Raptor Mazurka
    2. THF Flee
    3. COR Bolter's Roll
    4. DNC Chocobo Jig
    5. Enchantments Sprinter's Shoes
    6. Medicines Hermes Quencher
    7. SCH Desert Boots with Sandstorm (stacks with magic movement speed)
    8. Movement Speed Gear (stacks with magic movement speed)
    9. Mog tablet Swift Shoes

Not Castable in Town
    1. SMN Fleet Wind

I find this discouraging to say the least, often exiting town and casting fleet wind, only to have it wear off in the middle of questing inside town will nullify the benefit of Fleet Wind almost entirely.

I'm just asking for SMN to be able to use Fleet Wind inside town like every single other job, item, gear and spell/song that is capable of having it.

I do understand that this might be large in scope, if so I have an elegant solution. Just give SMN an NPC to talk to which gives them an item with unlimited charges, equip-able by Level 86 SMN that gives the effect of fleet wind inside towns. It's not a perfect solution but it's better than being the single job/spell/equipment that has a movement speed ability and isn't able to use it inside town.

I don't know the reason to have Avatar's not Summonable inside of town, but I have a feeling that reason might not be much a concern now. It's not just a problem for Fleet Wind but even for buffing before events especially something like Dynamis where your time is effected. Making an entire party go outside just b/c Avatar's aren't summonable in town seems weird to me.
    (2)
    Last edited by AtrixWolfe; 03-26-2015 at 03:30 AM.

Character
    Frod
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Courrier's coalition buff, or just swap jobs.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AtrixWolfe View Post
    In reviewing movement speed abilities and effects SMN is one of the 4 jobs capable an ability/magic based movement buff that isn't able to use it in one very important place for questing/getting around: towns. To review:

Usable/Castable in Town
    2. THF Flee
    3. COR Bolter's Roll
    4. DNC Chocobo Jig

Not Castable in Town
    1. SMN Fleet Wind

I find this discouraging to say the least, often exiting town and casting fleet wind, only to have it wear off in the middle of questing inside town will nullify the benefit of Fleet Wind almost entirely.

I'm just asking for SMN to be able to use Fleet Wind inside town like every single other job, item, gear and spell/song that is capable of having it.

I do understand that this might be large in scope, if so I have an elegant solution. Just give SMN an NPC to talk to which gives them an item with unlimited charges, equip-able by Level 86 SMN that gives the effect of fleet wind inside towns. It's not a perfect solution but it's better than being the single job/spell/equipment that has a movement speed ability and isn't able to use it inside town.

I don't know the reason to have Avatar's not Summonable inside of town, but I have a feeling that reason might not be much a concern now. It's not just a problem for Fleet Wind but even for buffing before events especially something like Dynamis where your time is effected. Making an entire party go outside just b/c Avatar's aren't summonable in town seems weird to me.
    Making a NPC just for one job for a speed boost is asinine at best. Most jobs don't have a speed boost native, and seem to get by just fine in towns. As for not having avatars in town, if they allowed avatars, they'd have to allow puppets, pets, wyverns and adventuring fellows. I've played game's where you can have pets anywhere, and it's pretty annoying. Let's not waste resources with things no one really wants, and let them get back to 'balancing' the game...
    (1)

Character
    Verda
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodnon View Post
    Courrier's coalition buff, or just swap jobs.
    The game doesn't exist only in Adoulin.

Leveling another job isn't a solution, it's a cop out as well as time consuming for one buff, but it happens to be a very important buff for doing quests.

Quote Originally Posted by okugi View Post
    Making a NPC just for one job for a speed boost is asinine at best. Most jobs don't have a speed boost native, and seem to get by just fine in towns. As for not having avatars in town, if they allowed avatars, they'd have to allow puppets, pets, wyverns and adventuring fellows. I've played game's where you can have pets anywhere, and it's pretty annoying. Let's not waste resources with things no one really wants, and let them get back to 'balancing' the game...
    Your post is asinine at best...
    I'm sure any summoner would love to cast Fleet Wind in town. I don't count as no one either.
    One ring for casting fleet wind in town for 86 SMN isn't a lot to ask, if pets in town are too big of a scope. If pets annoy you don't play a pet job.

This isn't a feature it's a design flaw. Every job/ability/status effect for movement buffs are able to be cast or activated/used in town, except one. It's not because of job balance either. Maybe you don't care about it, maybe you would rather see that time spent on something you care about. But coming in here to say that isn't constructive, it's dickish.
    (0)
    Last edited by AtrixWolfe; 03-26-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Our job is one that mostly relies on our pets, and no pet job has ever been able to summon one inside an actually town. (the Past is a battle fields so that doesn't count.) So it' not something they'd do for just 1 ability. SMN does get access to the Herald's Gaiters and the Sprint Shoes both are options inside town, or can sub /BRD use Raptor Mazurka
    (1)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Verda
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    Our job is one that mostly relies on our pets, and no pet job has ever been able to summon one inside an actually town. (the Past is a battle fields so that doesn't count.) So it' not something they'd do for just 1 ability. SMN does get access to the Herald's Gaiters and the Sprint Shoes both are options inside town, or can sub /BRD use Raptor Mazurka
    Or I could use Herald's Gaiters, stacked with Fleet wind, because like every other job with partywide movement buffs, I can cast it in town.

Questing all of the game but Adoulin, Crafting, Missions, and 12 years of content a good chunk of the time I can't use Fleet Wind because I'm going between NPC's in towns. Since party movement buffs are rare it is signature to the SMN along with it's identity as a bringer of strong partywide buffs a direction SE claims to support. It won't matter as much to people with every job 99 who stay in Adoulin 99.9% of the time but for most every other person deciding to gear and play SMN, it will. It can drastically alter the completion rate of missions to have a movement buff in town on your geared job, it is no small deal. If there were balance reasons, or any real reason to not have it able to be used in town I would understand. However there are not any real reasons outside of "this limitation existed since before fleet wind and we never got around to fixing it".

Additionally having that buff partywide, is also a crucial factor if you're playing with friends so they can enjoy the same benefits. Having an ability that you need to use and can't about half the time makes zero sense.
    (0)

Character
    Rabies
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by AtrixWolfe View Post

Usable/Castable in Town
    2. THF Flee
    3. COR Bolter's Roll
    4. DNC Chocobo Jig

Not Castable in Town
    1. SMN Fleet Wind

You forgot to mention 16 other jobs. . . but they don't matter right?

You can use 12% piece like everyone else. You can get SoA ring 18% if you want to go faster. We should add a NPC for SAMs and DRKs so they can have unlimited charges of Flee also since they have the same options SMN does right....?
    (2)

Character
    Verda
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by InpendingDeath View Post
    You forgot to mention 16 other jobs. . . but they don't matter right?

You can use 12% piece like everyone else. You can get SoA ring 18% if you want to go faster. We should add a NPC for SAMs and DRKs so they can have unlimited charges of Flee also since they have the same options SMN does right....?
    It's 18 jobs, there's 22 jobs in FFXI, 4 have native party movement speed abilities. The 18 other jobs don't have party movement movement abilities, if they had them, and can't use them in town I'd complain yes. Even if half of them couldn't use them in town. But SMN is the only one who can't use it in town, where it's often needed as a very important spell.

Your post is entirely off base and misses the point on purpose. SMN has a native movement buff, it's part of the benefit of the job by design. Due to conflicting design, not as a feature it doesn't have the ability to use this ability a lot of the time it is needed. It isn't in the game to limit the power of summoner, it isn't in the game by design because who would intentionally design a spell you can't use half the time you need it? This restriction existed before Fleet Wind existed. And when Fleet Wind was implemented no one looked at this aspect. Your reasoning is not any better than the person who said to use another job. It seems you would like this spell to remain broken half the time it's needed. If that's the horse you wanna ride fine, but it's a far from any sensible argument.
    (0)
    Last edited by AtrixWolfe; 03-26-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Player
    Why don't we just ask SE to make it so that SMN auto teleports to the next NPC in every quest they undertake. That way, you don't have to worry about the time you wasted runnning from NPC to NPC like most of the rest of the game. See, the rest of us are perfectly ok with the chocobos in the game, you're the one asking for yours to be tricked out with a jet boost and gold plated while they're at it.

Inpending Death's post is not off base, he's pointing out that it's all working as intended. You don't get to use your ability because, news flash, only PCs are allowed in town. It's not a broken ability that only works half the time, it's an ability that is meant to be used when exploring the world outside the city limits. Inside the city, you have things such as MH warps and crystals that let you travel quickly from one section of town to the other, and really, if that's still not fast enough, maybe you should examine your own inflated sense of entitlement.
    (1)

Character
    Verda
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by okugi View Post
    Why don't we just ask SE to make it so that SMN auto teleports to the next NPC in every quest they undertake. That way, you don't have to worry about the time you wasted runnning from NPC to NPC like most of the rest of the game. See, the rest of us are perfectly ok with the chocobos in the game, you're the one asking for yours to be tricked out with a jet boost and gold plated while they're at it.

Inpending Death's post is not off base, he's pointing out that it's all working as intended. You don't get to use your ability because, news flash, only PCs are allowed in town. It's not a broken ability that only works half the time, it's an ability that is meant to be used when exploring the world outside the city limits. Inside the city, you have things such as MH warps and crystals that let you travel quickly from one section of town to the other, and really, if that's still not fast enough, maybe you should examine your own inflated sense of entitlement.
    If party movement speed buffs are only meant to be used outside of town why does BRD, DNC and COR get to use it inside town? That doesn't sound like it's working as intended, because news flash it isn't working as intended. It's bad design to give a movement buff and only allow it outside town. Especially since chocobos exist outside town and are superior in movement, and quickening falls off if you attack or are hit. It indeed seems to say "please use me in town".

Since you're dropping the entitlement word lets bring in yours. You feel entitled to them fixing RDM or wtv over quality of life updates to SMN and want to fling poo to have it done. That alone invalidates anything you've said, if anything valid were said but you haven't made one point that even has a real point they're all hyperboles or appeals to emotion, usually if not an insult nothing better than one. So if you don't have anything constructive to add, take your entitlement elsewhere. Asking for bug fixes and quality of life improvements and questioning bad design decisions is the purpose of these forums, prescribing the intended purpose of the official forums as entitlement while defending your own perversion of them is only something your monkey esque dookie flinging could try to accomplish.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast