Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Themailman
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

FFXI: what about an offline version?

So due to me being on xbox, and almost a decade into this, I want to keep playing after next March 2016. What about making an offline version of this? I mean honestly, it could be done right.....Dynamis u can solo and make relics, there are a lot of quests to do. I would still enjoy camping and killing NM's. I've play the other FF's, like all of them and they are just as fun offline as this online one. Some content on FFXI u cant solo, but honestly they have adjusted level content before. Why not come up with an offline version cause I'd gladly pay 60 bucks to be able to continue playing my characters on my own little offline world. Thoughts?
    (3)

Character
    Draylo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Get a PC man, you can get a cheap one for 200 bucks or less probably to run this game.
    (1)

Character
    Themailman
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Yeah I like my console, I know I could get a PC of course.....this is just a thought.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You can probably get a used PC from some tech company's boneyard for free that could run the game to be honest. There's never going to be an offline version. The closest we'll get to that is Grandmasters but that's a spinoff based on FFXI and it's only going to be available in Japan.

Because the client doesn't have any code to control all the stuff processed and calculated by the server, it would actually be a LOT of work to make an offline version; Also it would be highly probable that people could then reverse engineer the code and use it to create exploits for the live game. They could only even consider doing this after shutting down the servers, which isn't currently on the table.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    What is it with XBox players who act like a computer is some rare and exotic piece of technology reserved for the wealthy? I've probably spoken to about half a dozen XBox players by now who think the game is going to be completely dead a year from now because they, personally, won't be playing. My LS leader changed the ls message to something asinine like "358 days left! Enjoy it while you can!"

So the original poster wants Square Enix to undertake a big development project to produce essentially an entirely new game, just because he doesn't want to change platforms?
    (4)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Console loyalty is a powerful thing man.

That said, while I'm a pretty fierce Nintendo fan, I still own a PC and I still play games on it. You could have bought a PC anytime in the last 10+ years for the sole purpose of web browsing and email and it would probably run this game just fine. Cant udnerstand people able to spend $500+ on an xbox but don't own a PC when a basic one is cheaper than that and does more.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Console loyalty is a powerful thing man.

That said, while I'm a pretty fierce Nintendo fan, I still own a PC and I still play games on it. You could have bought a PC anytime in the last 10+ years for the sole purpose of web browsing and email and it would probably run this game just fine. Cant udnerstand people able to spend $500+ on an xbox but don't own a PC when a basic one is cheaper than that and does more.
    I'm skeptical about the statement "any old laptop can run this game". I bought a used laptop at a pawn shop in 2012. I ran the benchmark on it a few months ago and it ran pretty poorly.

Still, I'll follow the hardware updates if I like a game. I've bought every Mario Party game in the series, ever since the N64 days, and over time that has enticed me to buy a Game Cube, Wii, and soon a Wii U.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    I'm skeptical about the statement "any old laptop can run this game". I bought a used laptop at a pawn shop in 2012. I ran the benchmark on it a few months ago and it ran pretty poorly.

Still, I'll follow the hardware updates if I like a game. I've bought every Mario Party game in the series, ever since the N64 days, and over time that has enticed me to buy a Game Cube, Wii, and soon a Wii U.
    All you need is enough CPU and memory. Graphics card is mostly irrelevant as are pretty much any other bells and whistles.
    Anything you get from a pawn shop is going to be pretty dodgy (and if they didn't wipe it clean it probably has naughty/illegal stuff on it).
    (0)

What is it with XBox players who act like a computer is some rare and exotic piece of technology reserved for the wealthy? I've probably spoken to about half a dozen XBox players by now who think the game is going to be completely dead a year from now because they, personally, won't be playing. My LS leader changed the ls message to something asinine like "358 days left! Enjoy it while you can!"

So the original poster wants Square Enix to undertake a big development project to produce essentially an entirely new game, just because he doesn't want to change platforms?

It's a preference. I enjoy gaming on a console way more than I do on PC. I have a gaming setup for my consoles, and my Desk is designed for drawing not for gaming. The Keyboard stays hidden while I draw. But let's be honest, even if they don't have a PC that can run the game, having spend an addition 100+ of anything when you already have something that could do it is frustrating. An additional cost for things that could be otherwise spent else where is not something that should sit well with ANYONE. I understand the this is more a Microsoft thing when it comes to the Xbox service, but don't berate people for wanting to play a game on a console. Will I move to the PC, maybe, but I don't know if I'll stay loyal to the game knowing that there's nothing new to come after November.
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Player

what is it about PC gamers that like to hate on consoles? i play XI on both xbox and pc, but i prefer xbox. somebody in this thread said all you need is enuff cpu and memory. well, xbox has that. plus there is xbox live, where i can talk to my friends on xbox, and i can look stuff up on pc at the same time or watch a movie, ect. a lot of people out there pay their monthly dues so they can play on xbox. not sure about ps2, never played it on a PS. i love my xbox, and i sincerely hope that SE reconsiders dropping xbox. another thing, if im taking a vacation and i know that i will have internet access, i can always take my xbox with me and play there. hard to do that with a pc unless u have a laptop. my xbox can prolly do almost anything a laptop can do for sure. so what is with the "haha you cant play on xbox anymore" attitude that i have seen from so many ppl? you like your PC. fair enuff. to each their own, but dont belittle players who choose to remail loyal to their console instead of taking the path of the pc. consoles are made for the sole purpose of gaming, with a few extras thrown in. not so for pc, unless you happen to be one of those "wealthy" ppl that can afford to make their own setup.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast