Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
So, to answer your question and be honest, the current listing for 8k for 12 Onions is kind of dumb, but even the prices from the NPCs that sell them once they're bought is stupid. ~1700ish at it's lowest.
The biggest barrier to seeing stuff like this on the AH commonly these days is the stupid low seven item cap combined with the short listing time.

What I'd propose for SE if they wanted to alleviate these issues without adding the items to be sold by NPCs would be to have the seven item cap only apply to items selling for more than 100k, and a larger number of items can be sold cheaper, with longer sale times available. Basically, you can sell up to seven items for over 100k, then say something like 23 more items for less than 100k, which will stay on sale for up to two weeks.

SE's standard reply to this is that having more than seven items for sale would make the game explode however.

On actually adding items like this to an NPC, why not just add all the food you make to an NPC instead? Universal Ninja Tools come to mind as one example that has decimated markets. Another example of NPCs basically setting the price of items are Echo Drops. You can't sell Echo Drops for more than about 9k a stack because NPCs sell it for thereabouts.

In any case, onions would be a helpful item to have available from an NPC, but I'd expect the price to be closer to that 20k a stack price you mentioned from reselling NPCs, although some friends of mine would love to see it at a low price that is just abit above the NPC price, which would be a lot closer to 1200 gil a stack. It's hard to say what SE would price these things at as they could easily up the drop rate (and ruin gardening even more), and lower the NPC price, or any other number of measures.