Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Getting a PS3 controller to work with FFXI on PC is a huge hassle, and requires (often buggy) 3rd party software. Gets even worse if you wanna use it via bluetooth. There may be better software now, but DS3 tool was a freaking nightmare....

But getting my PS4 controller to work was pretty much plug and play, but for one small easy to fix issue. The analog sticks were mapped wrong, and it took a bit of messing around to fix. Trying to remap them via config doesn't work. <,<

Plug in controller.
    Open FFXI controller config.
    Check the boxes for, enable gamepad, enable slider, and enable hat switches(honestly, I dunno if you need slider/hat. But I have em checked, and mine works, so.)
    Hit the Default Setup button under the predefined setups section.
    Configure buttons to taste, but..
    Leave the movement/camera Alone(possibly menus too, I forget.) Hitting default sets these properly, and trying to reconfigure them screws em up again. <,<
    Hit OK. Then log in and test.

After that, mine worked great. The thing that could be considered an issue, is that if I try to connect via bluetooth, I get the occasional lag on my controller input. And that's just not acceptable, so I just stuck with USB.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bazookatooth View Post
    My personal experience with Logitech controllers has been that they are unresponsive, the buttons wear out and start sticking and they are generally buggy. Especially if you use the wireless ones. I wore out and or broke several Logitech controls before I decided to put the effort into finding drivers for the 360 controllers and I've never looked back. The 360 and ps2/3/4 controllers are vastly superior hardware in my opinion.

Then again the logitech controllers are way easier to set up and a lot of people like them. So I guess it's a question of whether you want something that's hard to get working, or something that hard to work with. I think most people just don't want to spend another $20-$50 on something they already have.

I say this as a guy who hasn't used a PS or 360 for FFXI in years though. If they are going to cancel PS / 360 support, SE should at least thrown them a bone and support their controllers on PC.
    You've had some pretty bad luck then, because my experience has been the opposite, reliable hardware that just doesn't quit. I"m using a Logitech G-15 keyboard that's almost as old as this game. It's survived things being spilled on it and lots of grabge under the keys in all those years, not to mention other abuse, and it still works fine today.

As far as controllers XI only supports directInput, which is why the xbox controller can't be (properly) supported. DirectInput doesn't support all of the features of the latest generation's gamepads, which is why when you DO get them to work, some buttons (namely the analog triggers) don't work as you expect. Xbox controllers use the XInput interface and it would probably be a lot of work for SE to implement.
    (0)

Character
    Shadowbringer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Would this laptop work for FFXI from the full download seekers edition ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RVEZ0VW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426958158&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41r3mu3Ux4L&ref=plSrch
    (0)

Character
    Shadowbringer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Link didn't work on that post,The laptop I'm looking at is New HP G3 Quad core Laptop,Windows 7 pro,Microsoft office 2010,DVD-RW.Ram 4GB.Hard drive 500 GB,Graphics card description: Radeon HD 8330.Quad core(1.5ghz x 4) AMD A4 processor.Would this run FFXI if I was to download complete seekers edition from playonline site?i have no knowledge of pc or laptops so and help be good,thx.
    (0)

Character
    Kawar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Roja323 View Post
    Pretty sure ps3/4 controllers wont work for pc. Xbox 360 should.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...-windows-setup
    This is not 100% right. I know nothing about if ps4 will work yet. but i know for a fact a ps3 and 360 controllers do work. but sometimes you need to ether fake the drivers or install the drivers that sony has posted online and xboxs if you can find them.
    (0)

Character
    Bazookatooth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    You've had some pretty bad luck then, because my experience has been the opposite, reliable hardware that just doesn't quit. I"m using a Logitech G-15 keyboard that's almost as old as this game. It's survived things being spilled on it and lots of grabge under the keys in all those years, not to mention other abuse, and it still works fine today.

As far as controllers XI only supports directInput, which is why the xbox controller can't be (properly) supported. DirectInput doesn't support all of the features of the latest generation's gamepads, which is why when you DO get them to work, some buttons (namely the analog triggers) don't work as you expect. Xbox controllers use the XInput interface and it would probably be a lot of work for SE to implement.
    That's a keyboard though. I'm not aware of any keyboards that aren't compatible with this game. Good game pads on the other hand are few and far between and it just so happens that everyone moving from PS/360 already has one.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstrife View Post
    Link didn't work on that post,The laptop I'm looking at is New HP G3 Quad core Laptop,Windows 7 pro,Microsoft office 2010,DVD-RW.Ram 4GB.Hard drive 500 GB,Graphics card description: Radeon HD 8330.Quad core(1.5ghz x 4) AMD A4 processor.Would this run FFXI if I was to download complete seekers edition from playonline site?i have no knowledge of pc or laptops so and help be good,thx.
    That's way above the minimum specs. Pretty much any Windows computer made in the last 5 years will run the game. Multiple cores doesn't matter so much, versus the speed of the cores. FFXI doesn't support multiple cores at once, so the game will only use one of them. Laptops generally have a slower speed per core versus desktops, to reduce consumption of battery power.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Shadowbringer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Ok thx for that information,one more question I'm not sure about,on the spec requirements screen for FFXI it says a DVD-ROM drive is necessary for installation,is this something all laptops have?because didn't state it had on laptop specs that it had a dvd rom drive.also is it needed if ffxi is downloaded from their official site and not disc?iv never used laptop so not good at all with all the requirements and terms used.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RVEZ0VW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426958158&sr=1-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41r3mu3Ux4L&ref=plSrch
    any PC made in the last 10-15 years would likely be at least functional. Even a Raspberry Pi that ran Windows (the newest one does/will I think) could do it, and those things cost like $30-60. (Bear in mind that the Raspberry Pi is a system-on-a-board designed for hobbyists- it's an ultra-compact PC on a single circuit board- it doesn't come with a case or storage medium other than SD card though there are kits out there with custom made cases for it. It does have HDMI, USB, and LAN built in)

Ok thx for that information,one more question I'm not sure about,on the spec requirements screen for FFXI it says a DVD-ROM drive is necessary for installation,is this something all laptops have?
    Disc drives in general are becoming less and less common especially on laptops. But if you download the client, you don't need a disc drive.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-23-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Character
    Bazookatooth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Ok thx for that information,one more question I'm not sure about,on the spec requirements screen for FFXI it says a DVD-ROM drive is necessary for installation,is this something all laptops have?because didn't state it had on laptop specs that it had a dvd rom drive.also is it needed if ffxi is downloaded from their official site and not disc?iv never used laptop so not good at all with all the requirements and terms used.
    You can download the whole game from the official FFXI site. You no longer need the discs, just the codes.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast