Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Singforu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
    The drop rate is too low, it has nothing to do with people failing at boxes.
    it has a LOT to do with people failing at boxes. The more you fail, the more likely you missed your chance at getting the item. I got the fishing rope you were looking for 4 times in one day (was doing book burn for other character). Too dismiss someone not getting their boxes open is ludicrous. If you are only opening 1 in 100 boxes do you really think your chances of getting the item is the same as opening 99 out of 100?
    (0)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Yeah I've not had any luck with any of the skill items except on a different character on a 2nd account who just got lucky. I ended up buying one with the bonanza marbles. Have yet to see the magic one drop but now it's to late as I ended up levelling all my magic skills to max trying to get it.

I would say both you guys are correct in your assessment. The drop rate of the skill/crafting items is far too low and how many times you succeed in guessing the right digits is a major factor. I would guestimate the chances of finding dungeon rares from caskets are 0.001%. Thief tools supposedly give you an extra hint but the hints aren't very helpful especially if used as a last attempt effort and if you're still having to go through several hundred boxes that's a lot of thief tools to waste.
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 03-25-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Hello my party fellows, sorry I'm late!
    My chocobo passed out because I'm overweight.

Character
    Singforu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl101 View Post
    Yeah I've not had any luck with any of the skill items except on a different character on a 2nd account who just got lucky. I ended up buying one with the bonanza marbles. Have yet to see the magic one drop but now it's to late as I ended up levelling all my magic skills to max trying to get it.

I would say both you guys are correct in your assessment. The drop rate of the skill/crafting items is far too low and how many times you succeed in guessing the right digits is a major factor. I would guestimate the chances of finding dungeon rares from caskets are 0.001%. Thief tools supposedly give you an extra hint but the hints aren't very helpful especially if used as a last attempt effort and if you're still having to go through several hundred boxes that's a lot of thief tools to waste.
    .001%? you're telling me 1 in 100,000 chance? no way. Even if you meant .1% which is 1 in 1,000 that is still way too high.
    (0)

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    maybe a 1.2% chance but honestly, I think you're undermining the difficulty in getting them if you think it's "all failed boxes for 8 hours." I open probably 95% of the boxes I find, and usually that other 5% is a 4-chance chest with pointless hints until you get to 2. At 3 you could potentially break it down to a 4-digit run and then a this-or-that run and then succeed, but at 2 you'll almost always have a 50/50 with those kinds of boxes. Does that happen often? No. Is that *always* the difficult-to-obtain treasure? No. The fact is that some people report going 1/250 on these boxes, so whether or not you fail to open 10,000 times during that is completely arbitrary -- the thing was only ever gonna be in 1 of those 250 boxes, regardless of the order in which you succeeded or failed. That's how droprate works, yes? NOT killing a mob nets you no treasure in the same way as NOT opening the chest: it can't be recorded for drop data. If I kill 2,000 mobs and maybe 30% total drop brown caskets and I choose to walk right by and not open them, those don't count as "I didn't get it."
    (0)

Character
    Singforu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    people don't report accurate statistics. they will eyeball their numbers and they will count failed to open boxes. Have people do a real statistical analysis and I bet people will see a much higher drop rate than what is being reported.
    (0)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    0.001% does not mean you won't get it until after 1,000 mobs. People seem to misunderstand that and assume percentages means 1 in whatever number of mobs killed.

And as I said previously, I have NO issues of guessing the correct number unless the clues given are so ambiguous that I'm left with 5 numbers at the end of all the clues.
    (1)
    Hello my party fellows, sorry I'm late!
    My chocobo passed out because I'm overweight.

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    your argument is "people don't report accurate statistics"? When there's sites that track drops by "did/didn't out of X"?

I'm not going to be trolled today, sorry.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2