Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Too much grind!

After 8 hours of slaughtering worms and skeletons I was mashing away endlessly until my brain was really starting to hurt and giving up hope of ever seeing the field torque. I opened up a brown chest not caring about its contents as I knew it would likely be yet another potion. It took me a few moments to get over seeing 2 field torques inside the chest that I danced for joy and quickly threw away the excess flint stones and bone chips before the chest timed out.

Then I woke up. I had only fallen asleep for 5 minutes but I had been fighting already for over 8 hours, it was now early morning, and mega annoyed that I only dreamt I got the torque.

Seriously SE, why must you make this game so BORING?!!! The game is now pure grind with nothing else inbetween for fun. If it's not farming torques for hours on end it's fishing in the same spot for an entire day for just 1 skill point. If it's not that it's farming plates, alexandrite, dynamis currency, augment stones in a hopes to get a decent augment. That aint fun, that's a fulltime job and I feel I should be the one getting paid for it.
    (2)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 03-18-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Hello my party fellows, sorry I'm late!
    My chocobo passed out because I'm overweight.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

They can be horrible fer sure.

I'm still missing a bunch of them, and have certainly spent more days than one should have to in the ones I have obtained (I think it took 3 or 4 days not leaving Zeruhn Mines to get two prouesse rings). They're those kind of things that come to you when you're not looking for them. >.<

I try to make the most out of the hunt by, for example, getting experience/limit points for someone else while doing it, so as to make the time spent worth at least a bit more worth something. Makes me feel better about it overall, if nothing else. ^^;

Hunting for regular enemies for certain loot in itself rarely is too exciting, but one can sometimes make it at least more fun!

Don't give up just yet!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Why do you need a field torque?
    (1)
    tandava crackows + chocobo jig + animated flourish = prouesse ring

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    field torque, rope, fisher's, the 8 other crafting torques. Not to mention the sky ones don't even allow super kupowers so Myriad Mystery Boxes is out the window; you're on your own with pages. I spent 2 weeks SOLID trying to get a terminus earring back in the day before they were a login points item. Completely agree: nothing should have a drop rate that low.
    (0)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Rabbit charm was bad too, never ever saw it drop. Torques/ropes shouldn't take several days to farm, that's ridiculous! I understand rare, but rare shouldn't mean so damned rare you'll never see it in your own lifetime.
    (1)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 03-20-2015 at 02:30 AM.

Character
    Singforu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    i have farmed all of the torques/ropes x2. average for me was about 1 day per. part of the reason i think people have such a hard time with them is not being good at opening brown caskets. some helpful hints for brown caskets:

if you have 6 chances and the first 2 checks give "first digit is a, b, c" and second digit is "x, y, z" it is a guaranteed win if you do the following:
    -four chances remaining first must use the guess "b-y". if not correct it will say lower or higher, let's say it gives higher.
    -three chances remaining second must use the guess "c-x". if not correct it will say lower or higher, if lower it must be "b-z", if it is higher there are two chances remaining for the only two remaining possibilities: "c-y" and "c-z". If you started out with only 5 chances in this situation then depending on whether it is higher or lower in your guesses you will either win it or have to decide between 1 of 2 #s.

if you have 6 chances and the first check says one of the digits is "x" start off with "x-a" where "a" is 1 if x is >5 and 8 if x is < 5. if x = 5, a = 5 (if x was 0, start with 50). so for instance first check gives "one of the digits is 8". so you choose 81. guessing after that is in a leap of 4. so for instance if it is lower than 81 then you'd choose 58 (58, 68, 78, and 80 were #s in order less than 81, so 58 is a leap of 4). if it is higher at this point then guess by a leap of 2 or 78. the next choice has to be either 68 or 80. if on the other hand it had been lower than 58, then leap of 2 down to 38. higher is 48, but if less jump down another leap of 2 to 28. if not it, it has to be 18 or 38 for your 6th chance. If you started out with only 5 chances in this situation then depending on whether it is higher or lower in your guesses you will either win it or have to decide between 1 of 2 #s.

if you get a range check "the number is between a-b and y-z" then the actual number is almost always really close to halfway between those two #s. so for example you get the range check "the number is between 50 and 70" you choose 60. it says higher so you leap by 4 and choose 64. it says lower so you leap by 2 and choose 62. after that it must be 61 or 63. if you only had 2 chances remaining after you chose 60 (you got some garbage clues before), then only leap by 2 to 62 and make your final guess to be either 61 or 63.

if you get 1st digit is odd/even and 2nd digit is odd/even as your first two clues, then just keep getting clues and hope that they give you something good like a specific # (1st digit is 3) because this situation will almost always result in failure due to the large # of possibilities. if the 3rd clue is a specific # then put the other # in the middle (for example clue 1: first digit is odd, clue 2: second digit is even, clue 3: one of the digits is 7; so you guess 74 is as close to the middle as you can get). If you only have one guess left at this point you have a 1 out of 2 shot of getting it right. If you have two guesses left you win.

some people like to use some program that someone came up with to help with guessing. i just used plain old logic and it worked great. and remember, this wasn't just for 1 item, I got all of the items, times 2.

hope this helps.
    (1)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I rarely have issues with chests, except when it gives me ambiguous hints like:

The first number is a 1, 2, or 3.
    The second number is odd.
    The first number is odd.
    The number is between 10 and 45.
    The second number is a 3, 4 or 5.
    The number is less than 37.

Field torque finally dropped on day 4 after 14 hours a day non-stop farming. I'm so exhausted now I could sleep for a week.
    (1)

Character
    Kigensuro
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    if you think what you did was bad i spent 2 months 8 hrs a day trying to get one of my skill up earrings(the one from a sky zone)
    (0)
    Last edited by SMD111; 03-24-2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: wrong word

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Terminus earring SMD. I mentioned that above xD but I didn't wait 8 months without zoning just to keep the boxes prowess, i left after 2 weeks (also 8 hours a day). As far as caskets go, there are several calculators out there that will help you open them, and only with the worst hints or fumbles will you fail in opening the box. Thief helps a little if used before the first hint. It can STILL take upwards of 2-3 days even under optimal conditions (I still don't have a Fisher's Rope despite trying for a week solid under Myriad Mystery Boxes + Boxes 5 prowess). The drop rate is too low, it has nothing to do with people failing at boxes. I got my goldsmithing torque on the very first box without Myriad or box prowess, but that is certainly not the norm. This is essentially the Ebisu Rod Quest Items but in dungeon form; the drop rates are probably around 0.5% considering it takes upwards of 200 boxes (typically) to acquire the item you're after. In some zones, there are no "easy" pages or no "grindable" kills (Sky comes to mind, where the average kill still takes 30 seconds, not the ~1 second a lvl 10 bunny does in Dangruf Wadi). In short, many of these items are unnecessarily difficult to acquire, especially considering the bonuses they provide and the current future of the game. My 2 cents.
    (0)

Character
    Astronema
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    They're those kind of things that come to you when you're not looking for them. >.<
    Ain't that the truth! I got a field rope like a couple of weeks ago in Dangruf Wadi while helping a friend get G10 items. I went 1/1 on the brown casket too lol
    (1)
    Last edited by Ladynamine; 03-25-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast