Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Do players in Japan enjoy the "random augments"?

I ask this out of curiosity, because I can't find any other reason as to how "random augment" is still a thing. I doubt the western culture enjoy such reward, other than gamblers.

Although in FFXI defense, there are many games in japan that contain this element. So maybe i'm just no longer cut out to play JRPGs, and should stick with western RPGs..... Except for the Dark Souls series, those games are fun! It's what Castlevania should have been.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't think anoyne "enjoys" them per se. It's just a mechanism for repeating content and it exists in some form in all MMOs, not just Eastern ones.
    (0)

I enjoy! its a great way to make money!~ and it also encourages people to do events more than once. it would suck having to collect 1500 wailingstones to get magic attack bonus +30 and then have to turn around to farm another 1500 wailingstones to get another..... if you enjoyed the struggle of dynamis, einherjar, Salvage, and Meeble burrows limited/timed events as well as the collect currency to get endgame weapon vs just receiving the endgame weapon and randomly getting the auguments......
    I'm satisfied that this time around you can buy the current endgame currency in the auction house (wailing,verdgris/snow/dim/ghastly/leaf stones) vs having to do the event/farm currency and then looking thru overpriced bazarrs for currency and then waiting X-amount of time to do the event again.
    (2)

Character
    Raijitsu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I dont mind the random augments for alluvian weapons/gear at all honestly. The system is setup such that you dont need +2 stones for max augments, and you dont even need +1 stones ( i have gotten pet haste +5 off a nq duskorb). Not only that but it really doesnt take too much to get an ideal (or good enough) set of augments for any piece of gear.

In the end i spent about 5-6m to get ~20 acc/atk, 2ta on 4 pieces of taeon and pet20acc/racc/pet haste/pet da on a second set of 4 taeon. So 6m for 8 pieces of armor isnt bad at all imho. COnsider the cost of airlixirs+2, its actually cheaper, and 1000x more reliable then skirmish 1.0 armor.

My only gripe, is that it actually makes it more inventory intesnive,
    since now i can have a helios fc set, mab/macc, aspir set, a pet only set (smn) etc. I can maximize a lot of little things,... at the cost of WAY more inventory.
    (2)

Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I've spent more than 50m in trying to get max augments on crit+2 and double attack +2 on two different sets with previous skirmish armor. I was only able to obtain 3/10 pieces I want with the double attack augments (Crit. +2 never happened).

Because of those results, I found that skirmish is just not worth doing.
    (2)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeviathan View Post
    I've spent more than 50m in trying to get max augments on crit+2 and double attack +2 on two different sets with previous skirmish armor. I was only able to obtain 3/10 pieces I want with the double attack augments (Crit. +2 never happened).

Because of those results, I found that skirmish is just not worth doing.
    These sets are nothing like Skirmish v1 sets. I'd highly recommend you learn what stones do what then begin working on some sets. The headache and expense is greatly diminished, and the use of these sets is extremely high for nearly every job.

Copy/paste of the basic augmentation information:
    Quote Originally Posted by BGWiki
    Slit stones provide melee augments.
    Tip stones provide ranged augments.
    Dim stones provide magic augments.
    Orb stones provide pet augments.

Snow Stones Tipically alligned with generic and simple augments.

Slit => Melee augments: Att, Acc, Att and Acc, Eva, DEF, ...
    Tip => Ranged augments: Ratt, Racc, Ratt and RAcc, ...
    Dim => Magic augments: Mab, Macc, Mab and Macc, Meva, ...
    Orb => Pet related augments: Pet: Mab, Pet: Macc, Pet: Att and Ratt, Pet: Acc and Racc, Pet: Def...

Leaf Stones More specific and peculiar augments.

Slit => DA, TA, WSAcc, Enemy Crit-, Store TP, Cure potency received, Subtle Blow, Enmity+, Waltz+, Dual Wield (Taeon exclusive?), Counter, ...
    Tip => haste+, Subtle Blow, Enemy Crit- (bad roll?), Enmity- (bad roll?), recycle, regen...
    Dim => Fast Cast, Mcrit, ConserveMP, SpellInterrupt-, OccultAcumen (Helios/Yorium exclusive?), Cure Potency, Aspir and Drain Potency (Helios/Yoruim exclusive?), Enmity-, Cure Casting Time (Telchine exclusive?), Song casting time- (Telchine exclusive?)...
    Orb => Blood Boon (Helios exclusive?), Pet: Regen, Pet: StoreTP, Call Beast Ability Delay- (Acro exclusive?), Pet: DA, BP Delay- (Helios exclusive?), Elemental Siphon+ (Telchine exclusive), Pet: Subtle Blow (Telchine/Taeon exclusive?), Pet: Breath, Pet: Crit Rate, Repair Potency...

Dusk Stones Even more specific augments.

Slit =>STR, VIT, STR and VIT, Crit Damage, WS Damage, HP+, Crit hit rate (???), Save TP, -3% Delay (Weapon), Physical Damage Taken - (Yorium exclusive?)...
    Tip => STR, AGI, DEX, STR and AGI, DEX and AGI, STR and DEX, Snapshot, Skillchain Damage, ...
    Dim => INT, MND, INT and MND, MP, Magic Crit Damage, Enhancing Magic duration+ (Telchine exclusive?), Phalanx+, Regen Potency (Telchine/Taeon exclusive?), Magic Burst Damage...
    Orb => STR and CHR, CHR, MND, CHR and MND, BP Damage (Helios exclusive?), Pet: Haste, Pet: DT-
    (0)
    7/10/14

Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    What about if i aim for 3 full sets with perfect augments, what is the estimated expense on that? Being more than one augment each, sounds way more expensive.
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I don't think anoyne "enjoys" them per se. It's just a mechanism for repeating content and it exists in some form in all MMOs, not just Eastern ones.
    Because random drops aren't enough right? <insert Xzibit .gif here> "Yo dawg! I heard you like random number generators, so we added a random number generator to your random number generator! Boom! We pimped your RNG!"

There's gotta be a better way to keep people interested. Trials of the magian, delve, RME items etc. work in a somewhat linear fashion and people are pretty happy with that. I rarely ever see anyone say they like this and when I do, they generally seem like the kind of people that would buy a $17,000 Apple watch.

What about if i aim for 3 full sets with perfect augments, what is the estimated expense on that? Being more than one augment each, sounds way more expensive.
    I've only ever seen one guy on my server with triple attack +2 and ACC/ATT on all his taeon pieces, but trust me. The augments are super easy to get. The 1,000+ +2 stones that people buy off the AH and from bazaars every day? Those are just to decorate their mog houses. They'd totally have the good augments if they wanted them. People just don't want the good augments. Who wants to be perfect am I right?
    (0)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Roja323 View Post
    In the end i spent about 5-6m to get ~20 acc/atk, 2ta on 4 pieces of taeon and pet20acc/racc/pet haste/pet da on a second set of 4 taeon. So 6m for 8 pieces of armor isnt bad at all imho.
    Your luck may very. Within 3 NQ Snowdim stones I got +20 MAB/MAcc on Helios gloves, then it took me 2 stacks of NQs and 15~ish Snowdim +1s to get the same on Helios feet. Random is random, but at least it's not crazy random or littered with PDT -1% like Skirmish v1 was. For every story of someone using stacks upon stacks of +2s to get a stat, there's just as many, if not more, stories of someone using less than a stack of +1s for their desired stat. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    I've only ever seen one guy on my server with triple attack +2 and ACC/ATT on all his taeon pieces, but trust me. The augments are super easy to get. The 1,000+ +2 stones that people buy off the AH and from bazaars every day? Those are just to decorate their mog houses. They'd totally have the good augments if they wanted them. People just don't want the good augments. Who wants to be perfect am I right?
    Sounds more like butt hurt than any realistic number. Maybe I'm seeing things with the dozens upon dozens of Thfs, Dncs, and Blus with 5/5 well augmented Taeon or the dozens of mages with well augmented Helios. It's honestly not that difficult to get good stats. To get the absolute best stats? Sure, absolutely. But it doesn't take much, even with bad luck, to get good stats.
    (1)
    7/10/14

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There's gotta be a better way to keep people interested. Trials of the magian, delve, RME items etc. work in a somewhat linear fashion and people are pretty happy with that. I rarely ever see anyone say they like this and when I do, they generally seem like the kind of people that would buy a $17,000 Apple watch.
    it's not a simple task to design content that can engage people for a long time without either repeating it or making it overly long. The problem with the former is what we're talking about here. The problem with the latter is twofold: First, it costs much more to make bigger contents. Second, if it's too long, the player can lose interest before even finishing it, or they won't attempt it at all because they can't fit it into the time they have to play. I think delve struck a fairly good balance for giving you multiple options to reach your goals and one session isn't too too long (unlike say, dynamis). Trials can be awfully long, although they are broken up into stages.`````````````````````````````````````
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast