Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Xbox controllers use X (as in Xbox) Input. DirectInput is part of DirectX, which older games use. There are applications to convert one input to the other, which would make FFXI able to see the controller.
    That's what I meant to say (xinput, dunno why i said directinput). Yes, there are tools to make the game see the controller, but as the other poster was noting, the game won't recognize the analog triggers, because the older directinput standard doesn't support the analog triggers.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Teleste View Post
    Curious, has anyone tried using an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller on Windows 10?

My Xbox 360 controller recently went bad and I really do not enjoy using the keyboard. I ordered an Xbox One controller and have recently been studying Windows 10 to look for ways to make the controller fully compatible, L2 and R2 triggers included.

So far, the only thing I've found that Windows 10 absolutely requires is a legacy DirectX library called DirectPlay. Also reports have said the game must run as administrator.

Let's continue this investigation.

Has anyone tried an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller on Windows 10? Were you able to use any official or third-party driver to enable the L2 and R2 triggers?
    Almost every old game, and possibly newer ones, require directplay enabled in legacy components, however, 10 enables this by default (usually), 8/8.1 do not that I know of, 8.1 might, but 8 didn't unless an update told it to, but it's simple to enable. I've had to tell a lot of people on steam forums to enable it in 8 to play FFXI.

As for controllers, I've never used a genuine xbox controller on pc, my only controller outside consoles is ps3 3rd party with a adaptor that uses xbox like layout (really annoying honestly). But anyway, it's a ps3 batarang I bought when I got my ps3, and I use it on my laptop in addition to keyboard controls, and it runs flawlessly, just plug it in and enable it in ffxi config and setup control mappings as you like. All the buttons work as they should when mapped.

I just tested with 10 actually because I've not set it up before (laptop uses 7) and it played fine and all the buttons worked. Triggers, shoulder buttons, analog sticks (and their button), it all played (once everything is set in ffxi config of course). So if you have trouble with xbox controllers, and a bit of money, could try tracking down a PS3 batarang which uses the xbox layout and a wireless adaptor.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Other controllers for the most part work fine because they are directinput based. The xbox controller does not because it uses X-input.
    (1)

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Billnes View Post
    Dear Square Enix Staff,

I am curious to know if there will be any issues regarding installing and playing Final Fantasy XI Online on Microsoft's upcoming Windows 10 OS?

Thank you very much for your time, effort & consideration in this matter.

Best Regards,
    Bill N. - Long Island, New York
    Well it is kind of along the lines of the thread I've created just a few days ago, maybe a week ago, asking about newer windows systems, etc. Just thought Id add and let you look at the replies in my thread: What's the Plans for FFXI's Future with Newer Operating System's\Drivers/Software Coming in the future?> or even different types of playing gadgets ffxi might have to adapt to be installed on to play it.

Edit: I meant newer OS's as future OS's after 10 and the ones after it.

Also I wish they would just add a thing to the installation system that open's legacy features, they could add a checkbox setting to the Pol.config or FFXI.config tool to do it too and not to mention upon installation they would add shortcuts to those config tools to make it faster and easier to find them instead of manually searching for them or using windows search box to find em would be a great step forward!
    (1)
    Last edited by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle; 06-06-2015 at 04:16 AM.
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Teleste
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle View Post
    Well it is kind of along the lines of the thread I've created just a few days ago, maybe a week ago, asking about newer windows systems, etc. Just thought Id add and let you look at the replies in my thread: What's the Plans for FFXI's Future with Newer Operating System's\Drivers/Software Coming in the future?> or even different types of playing gadgets ffxi might have to adapt to be installed on to play it.

Edit: I meant newer OS's as future OS's after 10 and the ones after it.

Also I wish they would just add a thing to the installation system that open's legacy features, they could add a checkbox setting to the Pol.config or FFXI.config tool to do it too and not to mention upon installation they would add shortcuts to those config tools to make it faster and easier to find them instead of manually searching for them or using windows search box to find em would be a great step forward!
    Excellent info! Thank you for sharing. I'll be reading the replies on your thread this evening.

Agreed, something as simple as you described adding a legacy feature option to the installation and adding shortcuts for these config files would increase our quality of life dramatically.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2