Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    It's a PS2 program, ported to Windows, ported to Xbox 360. The development team that made it is no longer the development team we have. People have left the company or moved on to other games. It was coded for a version of DirectX that could run on Windows 98-XP, and XP was new when this game came out. Who knows what they did with the code to make it work on that many platforms, and still have it work on Win7/8. The current team doesn't want to work inside the core system unless they have to, because they could break something and not have a resource to explain why the original code worked. I would wager the commenting inside the code is not that great, and that they used some workarounds that aren't seen much today, so they'd be obscure.
    I haven't been able to actually confirm this but aside from being written for the PS2 originally, I heard the engine was designed for single-player console games? It's pretty impressive that they've built FFXI on top of all this...

(I'd also like to see a modern client overhaul but... I doubt the game brings in enough to warrant that kind of reinvestment.)
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ris View Post
    (I'd also like to see a modern client overhaul but... I doubt the game brings in enough to warrant that kind of reinvestment.)
    I'm sure it doesn't at the moment, but I think modernizing the client would bring a lot of people back.
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2