Thread: World Mergers

Character
    Aoikaminari
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradog View Post
    I don't think that server merges alone could fix the game, at this point it would take hardware and software upgrades so that we cease to run into instancing issues [clip]
    Thanks for mentioning that. That's another thing. Whatever database management system they're using for ffxi is really inefficient. I'm not a database expert, but I'm pretty sure that modern relational or object-oriented DBMs blow older hierarchical systems out of the water in terms of efficiency. I'm willing to bet that the inventory lag issues are more related to an outdated DBM that they don't want to change rather than where the servers are located geographically.

point: FFXI's technology is holding development back.
    (3)

Character
    Ruaumoko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Regional servers might be the answer unfortunately.

I cannot see Square-Enix addressing the dead periods especially during EU times across most servers until the Japanese players begin complaining about it for some reason. No, that isn't bias either, it's a logical business decision - pander to your largest customer base.
    (0)

Player
    The day SE makes FFXI a game with regional servers is the day I unsubscribe forever. It would actually create worse issues, as no one would be doing anything outside of that region's primetime.

I wish SE would merge every server but Asura and Odin, so all of these monthly threads about the other servers being dead would stop... Surely they'd stop then, right? No? They won't stop then? No? Damn.
    (1)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I doubt merging servers would fix anything but only to lose more players. Don't you remember the day when it got merged, we all lost our linkshells and were forced to rename our names if already taken? Yep, that would be more problems than fixing the payment or improving the technology. I do agree with people who said this game does not appeal to new players, I had my friend who decided to play this for the first time (also her first MMO before FF14 released) last year. I helped her to get her thief all the way to level 99 but while I was not around online she simply had no idea what to do. I told her having the wiki guide is the only way to play this game so we both decided to drop it and move on to FFXIV because it suits her more better than this game does.
    (0)

This thread is full of terrible ideas.

There is no reason to have a merge, SE weakens the content too fast and everyone gets everything. FFXI needs new, sustainable content.

Regional servers would cause even more issues than what it is now, imagine the auction house from 2am - 5pm.
    (6)
    Behemothx - Leviathan
    WAR - DNC - BLM - SMN - THF - WHM - SCH - BLU - RDM - BRD - BST - COR

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Most things can be soloed. Most of the rest can be done with 6 or fewer people. 800 people is plenty. It's much easier to get things done now than it was when server populations were 5 times higher.
    (5)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    Most things can be soloed. Most of the rest can be done with 6 or fewer people. 800 people is plenty. It's much easier to get things done now than it was when server populations were 5 times higher.
    ... but think of the people who have a bad reputation for not playing well with others or not playing the game well at all! How will they ever be able to do group content when no one wants them! Won't someone please think of the undesirables?!?
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I remember when my server used to have 2,400 people on line at night. 800 is not impressive. It hasn't always been this way.
    (0)

That is when the majority of content was 18 man, everything is 6 man or lower... They already made it clear they are continuing that going forward, 800 is plenty. The biggest thing the game needs is CONTENT that lasts, incursion was a good idea but they failed by not having any unique drops at higher ilevel. We need a new Delve again and fast, people still spam the heck out of Delve and for a good reason.
    (2)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I quite like the current numbers on Levi, areas are not overcrowded, but you can still find a few friends to start events with. I like being able to solo CAP for example, its nice that I can pick a fairly decent camp and be able to farm CAP at my own pace. It would be a lot harder to find empty camps if we had 1500-2500 people. Also things like Limbus etc, are nicer when you don't have to camp the entrance for ages. I have LS with people if I want to chat or start events, friend list too. Sometimes it does take a long time to /sh for members, but that is because there is so much new content - this competes with content from a few months earlier etc.
    (3)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast