Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Caught this also on my SAV. Weird that my game ran normally though...
    (0)

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Bit of an inconvenience but it was easy enough to remove the file from quarantine and run the game.
    (0)

Player YosemiteYogorockBlondelle's Avatar
    Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74

Well so much for being able to play ffxi or not losing stuff from the files.. -.-:;

{My Detailed Report on it thus far in not being able to play the game!!}
    To the Dev/forums team I hope this helps into some of the investigation on the situation at hand. [Sorry, longer post then I had planned]

Yeah this is happening to me too with my Norton 360 2014 security over my ffxi game after a norton update/security at risk update which needed a computer restart to fix what it deemed to be a problem risk/continue with the update but also it happened after the full system scan happened.

I cant even make it to the title screen/character select screen after you get past hitting play at a word to our players screen on the pol viewer window then the quickly displayed ratings screen where jumps back to the previous screen afterwards and tries to move forward onto the ffxi cs game story screen and then thats where it all happens before it can even get to the cut scene screen XI storyline but the pol viewer has remained unaffected by it

Anywho... after it jumps back to A Word To our players screen it started to do this->What it did is it popped up "please wait while windows configures FFXI and then next was this->The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable and next part of it says: Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'FINAL FANTASY XI.msi' in the box below which I already of course had the ffxi game previously installed but it didn't show up as being there and i hit retry to see what the outcome would be it basically repeated while leaving some of the path blank between users\ and \desktop is The path 'C\Users\...\Desktop\Downloads\Final Fantasy XI\extracted\NST1\FINAL FANTASY XI.msi' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'FINAL FANTASY XI.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product FINAL FANTASY XI.

However after I did more digging to discover into my Security Software Protection virus scanner activities or history and came across that it Quarantined an ffxi.dII file listed as ffxi.dII (WS.Malware.2) and so reading through about some false positives with the scanner happening, I hit the restore file and exclude from future scans feature but i unchecked the box that would excluded it from another scan and hit cancel on the verify location box rebooted, logged out of the pol viewer but it had finally all ready Disconnected after hours of researching or figuring stuff out and fully closed the pol viewer then proceeded to restart my Alienware 18 BTX based mod. with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit laptop to see if it would resolve matter as a solution.

After my computer had fully reloaded I clicked on the playonline desktop shortcut to bring up the log in to the pol viewer screen after clicking on the always popping up windows warning cation yellow security box with the text unknown program, do you to allow this program to make changes, the Pol viewer loaded just fine as before and proceed to go the next screen to play ffxi. and got back to the very same screens where first is displayed about security breaches or server updates about to happen and I hit play and next the A word to our players hit play, rating screen comes up , drops back to the previous screen and this time the loading ffxi game/checking files before the CS XI story screen appears and it hits that ffxi.dii restored file and says you have an unregistered ffxi.dII file and then norton comes in and re-Quarantines that file but listing it this time as Trojan.Gen.SMH.2 and thus i regrettably have to log out of the pol viewer winder not making it to the next separated ffxi windows window to the game under setting of windows mode instead of the full screens mode where it would in full screen mode have to many other notifications from other stuff such as FB or 8.1 windows app pop ups creating a game terminated error thus failure in full screen modes.

This part not necessarily for the Forum community/dev teams but can read it if you like to know some of the trouble and inconvenience some of us like me will be facing since the anti-virus removing effect happened to us pc/windows players. I will write it as or with my problems that others can relate this to as being there causes from this happening too.

The demise this will cause if I have to actually re-install the game yet again over the years for me is: I haven't had anyway to backup my files on my laptop being short on cash this whole year to purchase a external Hard Drive to backup files to restore in case of something like this happening.
    The loss of all my new or redone map markers and macro's for either both or one of my characters for must be the 7th time -.-:; and don't like the current set up at the character select screen with characters on the same acc. that you can only save one of char.'s profile of macro's & Map-Markers for future loading when playing on only one system such as a pc and on top of that its hard to recall that you did of them all over the game too to cause a big loss.

I'm not to positive on how I would go about reinstalling the game since I directly downloaded it from SE's Store without putting it on to a backup files disc.

I fear I'll be missing out on all the XI celebrated events going on by the time this matter is resolved that includes mog pell's, special gobbie treasure keys, Sunshine Seekers or all the other events, Login campaign to get the gobbo trust cypher, etc. {yikes!!} hoe this matter is resolved without any reinstalls or losses and missed events -.-: thanks SE if this can be done in this way.
    (0)
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Guppeh
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Just had this happen right after logging in to update, Norton 360 is flagging ffxi.dll as malware. This causes the file to be quarantined, at which time Windows (8.1) to try to automatically run the FFXI installation repair.
    (0)

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Go back in and remove the file from quarantine again and this time make sure to properly exclude it from future scans then restart FFXI.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle View Post
    snip, tldr
    Just exclude the file, or even the game folder in your antivirus settings, and you should be fine for the time being. Don't have to reinstall the game.

SE do need to fix this ASAP.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbinT View Post
    Just exclude the file, or even the game folder in your antivirus settings, and you should be fine for the time being. Don't have to reinstall the game.

SE do need to fix this ASAP.
    normally, it's the AV software's responsibility to fix false positives, as the problem is not a defect in FFXI.
    (4)

Blondelle = Sandy, Windy\{S}, Bastok All Completed. YoGo: Basty+Sandy Rank: 10~Sandy {S}: UnComplete
    Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74

This still happens or happening with my ffxi game. -.-:;

The problem still remains is that even when I do restore the file from Quarantine, the ffxi game itself from the pol viewer window after hitting play from A word to our players {same i said in previous post} keeps saying you have an unRegistered ffxi.dII file and stops from loading any further on the game. My guess is there going to have to completely rewrite that file or at least file name/programming it with something like ffxi11.dII, ff11.dII or something unlikely to be read as as virus programming and include it in an update from the pol viewer itself and speaking of which, I miss the days when pol viewer and FFXIi both where updated hand-in-hand sometimes as one packaged update even and while i'm on the subject why they still include the obsolete game tetra master when releasing a full collection with newest expansion to download and install the game on a system is beyond me when it shouldn't be there any more as to no game exists of it anymore besides an news page article about it in which you can find that type of info about the past game online anyways.

Oh, almost forgot to say this: I haven't tried the check file method from the login pol viewer screen to which might give you a new registered ffxi.dII file replacement and oh yeah I surely wish there was an volume adjustment on that first pol login screen page as well as the cs story vid too.
    (0)
    Last edited by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle; 11-19-2014 at 03:38 AM.
    (Yo-Sim-Mit-Tea is the correct pronunciation. It is how its spoken, folks.) Come over & visit awhile to many posted changes to the life of Vana'dial. You can find past posts found by a link, pops up with Char name highlighted, thanks!
    I'm Wishing to see the Greatness in all players suggesting changes to ffxi ahead, here's to the Future of FFXI, Cheers Mate!!.

Character
    Fahzewn
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteYogorockBlondelle View Post
    Your post.
    Others have mentioned that running the POL check files, which you also mentioned, might help with replacing the .dll file. Also, you mentioned map markers and such a few posts back. You should be able to just copy your character data (macros, etc.) to another folder and re-install the game (if you absolutely need to) then drop your character data back into the new FFXI folder. I only recently started messing with things like that on my PC but I was able to keep my newer macros that I haven't saved to the server because of it. Only one I haven't got down yet is the patch notes so I can avoid the many hour update.

Honestly, installing the game is nothing as long as you have the client/discs/downloads to do it. The updating afterwards is horrible though.

Last, as others have said (unless it's too late for you), you can probably find the original ffxi.dll file from your anti-virus and do a restore then ignore/exclude the false positive on it. For me, at the least, that fixed the problem that you had with FFXI stuck on checking files on the game and it ran properly after.
    (1)

Character
    Yogorock
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahzewn View Post
    Others have mentioned that running the POL check files, which you also mentioned, might help with replacing the .dll file. Also, you mentioned map markers and such a few posts back. You should be able to just copy your character data (macros, etc.) to another folder and re-install the game (if you absolutely need to) then drop your character data back into the new FFXI folder. I only recently started messing with things like that on my PC but I was able to keep my newer macros that I haven't saved to the server because of it. Only one I haven't got down yet is the patch notes so I can avoid the many hour update.

Honestly, installing the game is nothing as long as you have the client/discs/downloads to do it. The updating afterwards is horrible though.

Last, as others have said (unless it's too late for you), you can probably find the original ffxi.dll file from your anti-virus and do a restore then ignore/exclude the false positive on it. For me, at the least, that fixed the problem that you had with FFXI stuck on checking files on the game and it ran properly after.
    Hmm where would this file or folder for macro's, map markers be and would it go against SE's Policy agreement or copy rights even?
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast