Hybrid View

Character
    Catnipthief
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 90

Warrior Merits

Alas I have finally joined the ranks of having WAR75+ (I just need to skill up :/)

I know how to generally play the job already but as far as merits go i'm not too sure what is a good setup and what is really "needed"
    (0)

Player
    Category 1:
    5/5 Berserk
    5/5 Double Attack

Best damage dealing setup for War in category 1.

Category 2:

5/5 War Charge

1 Tomahawk if you care about it, otherwise Max out savagery.

Category 2 after War Charge isn't impressive, but Savagery is the better of the remaining 3. Merit Tomahawk at least to 1 if you feel you'll get any use out of it, which is rare and I wouldn't max it out unless you regularly fight monsters with damage resistances.
    (7)
    Last edited by Neisan_Quetz; 04-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Character
    Catnipthief
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Neisan_Quetz View Post
    Category 1:
    5/5 Berserk
    5/5 Double Attack

Best damage dealing setup for War in category 1.

Category 2:

5/5 War Charge

1 Tomahawk if you care about it, otherwise Max out savagery.

Category 2 after War Charge isn't impressive, but Savagery is the better of the remaining 3. Merit Tomahawk at least to 1 if you feel you'll get any use out of it, which is rare and I wouldn't max it out unless you regularly fight is monsters with damage resistances.

Thanks, yeah that was the general consensus on Tomahawk, i'll most likely put just 1 in it just to be safe, I probably won't ever use it unless i'm just screwing around anyway but I guess it's good to have~
    (1)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I figure I'll never miss the last 10 TP Bonus on Warcry, so I might as well have Tomahawk level 1. If Tomahawk's increased merit levels decreased recast instead of increasing duration, I'd max it out 5/5.
    (1)

yeah, tomahawk's best use is probably to tp normally, throw a tomahawk, then do a full damage WS (or two)
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    A versatile WAR has Tomahawk, but really, there hasn't even been a handful of fights where it would have been useful, only Jailer of Temperance, iirc. I'm a selfish WAR, so Warrior's Charge/Savagery both 5/5. The last Savagery merit is actually somewhat useful, since with it you only need 250% TP for a 300% TP effect, which is quite a large bonus for Steel Cyclone. And 250% TP you can get after King's Justice with one tick of Meditate and one melee swing, then hit Warrior's Charge and destroy stuff. For critical WS modifiers you may not notice it much, but overall it should increase your damage by more than all Berserk merits.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    but overall it should increase your damage by more than all Berserk merits.
    should be the moment you realized this guy has no idea what hes talking about... discounting sekki a war should NEVER have over 100%tp, when your doing ukko's for 3000-6000dmg with 100% tp why in world would you ever use steel / kings / anything else. Also im doing it with a WoE wep that took 2 days to finish so yes if your a main war you better have ukko's fury.
    (3)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    but overall it should increase your damage by more than all Berserk merits.
    should be the moment you realized this guy has no idea what hes talking about...
    As I already said in the other thread, using Berserk out of sync with the other JAs won't give you much of a bonus in the end, depending on the circumstances it may even lower your overall damage. It gives you an average of 4% extra Attack over time (in the best case, and that's still far from a 4% increase in damage) and since it boosts WS and attacks not affected by the other JAs (Aggressor, Warcry/Blood Rage, Warrior's Charge), the increase is even less significant. On the contrary, if you boosted the more relevant WS, the ones affected by all the other JAs, you will likely get more out of it in the end. And even if not, it's still almost no bonus to use Berserk on timer with reduced recast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokku View Post
    discounting sekki a war should NEVER have over 100%tp, when your doing ukko's for 3000-6000dmg with 100% tp why in world would you ever use steel / kings / anything else. Also im doing it with a WoE wep that took 2 days to finish so yes if your a main war you better have ukko's fury.
    Not all WARs have Ukko's, for various reasons, and average Ukko's will be around 2k~3k damage, so a bit better than Raging Rush, not immensly (maybe you meant inside Abyssea with 3k~6k, otherwise I find that hard to imagine).

And there's plenty of reasons to have more than 100% TP, one of which you even pointed out. And you seem to be forgetting the times when you save TP for a zerg, which happens to be something Warriors excel at. I never said you should do it all the time, I also never said you should use Steel Cyclone all the time, but it does have its uses.

You seem to have an Abyssea-only mindset, where the monotony dominates every job and strategy/planning doesn't matter. Maybe people will start putting more effort into it again when there's more on the line.

Anyway, Berserk merits are hardly worth it, Savagery on the other hand gives some bonus to quite a few WS you can do in those 40s (5+ depending on the circumstances). That's quite a large bonus overall, even with only 10% TP, hence my statement, that it should outdo Berserk merits.
    (0)

Player
    What is with this out of sync nonsense no it isn't going to magically lower your damage by not having timers lined up. Adjust gearsets on WS for berserk being up or down, not that difficult.
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Neisan_Quetz View Post
    What is with this out of sync nonsense no it isn't going to magically lower your damage by not having timers lined up. Adjust gearsets on WS for berserk being up or down, not that difficult.
    It's not magic, it's math. Higher numbers profit more from higher values (assume 400 vs 600 WS when considering a 20% bonus, 400*1.2 = 480, 600*1.2 = 720, so the higher WS gets an additional 40 points of damage). Since it's not evenly distributed, it makes more sense to push your higher values.

Also, what kinda gear would you change for Berserk being down? It's not difficult, but I don't see the point in it, you'd still wanna stack up on STR/Attack/Damage as much as possible.
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast