Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5

Can we please have 60FPS and increased draw distance in the PC version?

Why hasn't 60FPS been implemented yet? Seems like it would be relatively simple to add this and increase the limit on the draw distance slider.

Also can we please have an option to turn off geometry LOD? There's no need for this on any graphics card made in the last 10 years. Objects popping from low to high detail geometry is annoying.

EDIT: Apparently 60FPS is already supported by FFXI but not enabled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npr80uZ7vyw
    (6)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 11-10-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Player
    Tons of complications rise up on the PC version at 60fps.
    (1)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbalest View Post
    Tons of complications rise up on the PC version at 60fps.
    No reason they couldn't fix those though. From what I have read on the subject they "unhooked" the core game processes from the screen FPS when they did the fishing fix a few years back.

Increasing draw distance and a toggle to turn off geometry LODs should be trivial to implement.
    (0)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 11-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Player
    Game is poorly optimized. Even if they unlock the frame rate to 60 FPS, it will struggle to even maintain that in the majority of scenarios, regardless of how good your computer is.
    (1)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Not in the majority of scenarios, but when loading a large number of characters (for instance, near the Western Adoulin MH) and when a lot of animations are going off at once (for instance, in alliance Incursion).

But yeah, FFXI handles being pushed below its current maximum FPS very poorly. You can think of it like this:
    * Animations will have a set number of frames that depend on your current FPS.
    ** If you're at <15 FPS, it generates 15 frames.
    ** If you're at 16-30 FPS, it generates 30 frames.
    ** If you're at 31-60 FPS, it generates 60 frames.
    * If you're at 31 FPS and the animation has 60 frames generated, it will take almost twice as long as it would have taken at 60 FPS. Everything looks like it's moving slowly.
    * This even applies to things like menus opening.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Skull View Post
    Why hasn't 60FPS been implemented yet? Seems like it would be relatively simple to add this and increase the limit on the draw distance slider.

Also can we please have an option to turn off geometry LOD? There's no need for this on any graphics card made in the last 10 years. Objects popping from low to high detail geometry is annoying.

EDIT: Apparently 60FPS is already supported by FFXI but not enabled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npr80uZ7vyw
    The model animations are recorded at 60FPS; however the game doesn't "really" support it- A lot of core functions in the game are tied to the frame rate, and thus an increase in the frame rate speeds up certain things in the game and, as I recall, was exploited in the past for speedhacking. So, it's not as simple as you think because internally, a lot of things are tied to the FPS.

I agree about the LOD issue though. users have found ways to increase the draw distance but there's one drawback, increasing it also pushes the fog plane back, and it makes things in the distance look a bit uglier. If they can seperate the fog distance from the draw distance too, that would be nice.
    (2)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    The model animations are recorded at 60FPS; however the game doesn't "really" support it- A lot of core functions in the game are tied to the frame rate, and thus an increase in the frame rate speeds up certain things in the game and, as I recall, was exploited in the past for speedhacking. So, it's not as simple as you think because internally, a lot of things are tied to the FPS.
    As I said earlier when they did the fishing fix a while back they unhooked a lot (most but not all) of the core game processes from FPS. No reason they couldn't completely unhook everything. The fishing change showed that this is in fact possible to do.

From what I have read on the subject when you increase the FPS models and zones actually load faster. Apparently this is being bottlenecked by the 30FPS cap.
    (0)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 11-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I'm pretty sure that they didn't unhook them. They capped FPS to 15, which was already a value that worked with their system.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they didn't unhook them. They capped FPS to 15, which was already a value that worked with their system.
    This- the fishing fix was to LOWER frame rates during fishing to a level that all versions of the game could maintain for the sake of fairness.
    (0)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    This- the fishing fix was to LOWER frame rates during fishing to a level that all versions of the game could maintain for the sake of fairness.
    If fishing was capped at 15FPS then it would be obvious, the framerate would cut in half every time you whipped out a fishing rod, which it doesn't. My understanding from reading on the subject is that they unhooked a lot of the core processes from screen FPS and run them on an internal timer now instead.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast