Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Adoulin missions ending points to..

A new expansion?

Does the speed with which Adoulin is being finished up point towards another expansion in 2015?

Wotg was drawn out for years because they were dragging out releasing a new expansion. With FFXI the expansions usually help to pay for and give the template for all the content that follows until a new one launches, which is why they always launch with almost no content other than areas.
    (0)

Character
    Afin
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I personally cant see another expansion coming in the near future, as seekers of adoulin was the last game to come out for PS2 in japan before they retired it. So you gotta wonder if thats it for future big content expansions if SE are still sticking with japanese PS2 users =(
    (0)

Yes, new expansion is on its way. New jobs!
    (1)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Yes, new expansion is on its way. New jobs!
    Source? Details? Yeah you got nothing.
    (4)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Afin View Post
    I personally cant see another expansion coming in the near future, as seekers of adoulin was the last game to come out for PS2 in japan before they retired it. So you gotta wonder if thats it for future big content expansions if SE are still sticking with japanese PS2 users =(
    That just means no new titles have been announced, they can announce and release one if they want to.

They already stated the last ps2 title would be fifa 14 and a new title has been announced since then, PES 2014.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    That just means no new titles have been announced, they can announce and release one if they want to.

They already stated the last ps2 title would be fifa 14 and a new title has been announced since then, PES 2014.

That's not 100% true, the last title was FIFA 2014 for South America, but PES 2014 was released the same day in NA as FIFA 2014 (September 24, 2013). Mind you that was several months after the Release of Seeks of Adoulin which was April 11, 2013. Never the less, Japan didn't get those two titles, so FFXI: SoA is still the last released game for the PS2 there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._game_consoles

As for there being another expansion, More than likely not. WotG was stretched out for the purpose of the fact that they originally had no plans to make another expansion to begin with. When FFXIV tanked the first round, they needed some type of hook to keep people. Most of the people that migrated there were people from FFXI. There is more than enough content that they could expand upon, and as much as it pain to agree, as long as the PS2 is still attached to it in Japan, the next expansion is very slim to none. But I do remember reading something from an FFXIV article, they were throwing around the idea of an FFXI: Gaiden game for the New Gens. Who knows? They have been porting so many of the previous gen games to them, someone might get froggy and do a 100% HD, Remaster, Super Deluxe, OMG version for the PS4 and everyone can rejoice for their dreams of the super graphics for this game.
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    That's not 100% true, the last title was FIFA 2014 for South America, but PES 2014 was released the same day in NA as FIFA 2014 (September 24, 2013). Mind you that was several months after the Release of Seeks of Adoulin which was April 11, 2013. Never the less, Japan didn't get those two titles, so FFXI: SoA is still the last released game for the PS2 there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._game_consoles

As for there being another expansion, More than likely not. WotG was stretched out for the purpose of the fact that they originally had no plans to make another expansion to begin with. When FFXIV tanked the first round, they needed some type of hook to keep people. Most of the people that migrated there were people from FFXI. There is more than enough content that they could expand upon, and as much as it pain to agree, as long as the PS2 is still attached to it in Japan, the next expansion is very slim to none. But I do remember reading something from an FFXIV article, they were throwing around the idea of an FFXI: Gaiden game for the New Gens. Who knows? They have been porting so many of the previous gen games to them, someone might get froggy and do a 100% HD, Remaster, Super Deluxe, OMG version for the PS4 and everyone can rejoice for their dreams of the super graphics for this game.
    What I wrote was that there is no cut off to making new ps2 titles, there are no more announced titles but any company can make more anytime they want, there is no directive passed down by Sony that no more can be made.

A more reasonable explanation for how long it took to finish WoTG is that they simply did not have the staff to work on it, they were all working on FFXIV. This is well documented since work on lots of titles was ceased and delayed due to that. Also one of the major development directives for FFXIV was that it was to be as unlike FFXI as possible, it's pretty obvious that the idea was to run multiple mmo titles and infact they stated the idea was to run multiple titles to maintain a steady cash flow.

So it's very possible that the next expansions could already be being worked on and may release in 2015.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 11-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.

What I wrote was that there is no cut off to making new ps2 titles, there are no more announced titles but any company can make more anytime they want, there is no directive passed down by Sony that no more can be made.
    Could and Would are two very different things. If the pool for the PS2 was so small in the US that it didn't warrant a release, I doubt that there will be a 'bigger' pool in Japan now that there are two generations of console differences.

A more reasonable explanation for how long it took to finish WoTG is that they simply did not have the staff to work on it, they were all working on FFXIV. This is well documented since work on lots of titles was ceased and delayed due to that. Also one of the major development directives for FFXIV was that it was to be as unlike FFXI as possible, it's pretty obvious that the idea was to run multiple mmo titles and infact they stated the idea was to run multiple titles to maintain a steady cash flow.

So it's very possible that the next expansions could already be being worked on and may release in 2015.
    While it's true that they wanted both games to continue in tandem, it's doesn't mean that they had a plan to release a full expansion passed WotG Orginally.

Wings of the Goddess debuted in the States: November 20, 2007. That is a MASSIVE 7 years ago. The conclusion update happened around Aug-September of 2010. Which that marks the official release of FFXIV: September 22, 2010 that ran until November 11, 2012. Coincidentally, The official announcement for the fourth WoW Expansion, happened in March of 2012 with a release date of September 25, 2012. Strangely enough, 3 months later, after nearly 2 years from the conclusion of WotG, and the increasingly poor reviews for and Sales for FFXIV, on June 22, 2012 an actual expansion was set to release April 11, 2013. 4 Months before the second attempt to get FFXIV:ARR off the ground.

The only reason that we got that expansion, in full truth was because FFXIV tanked and WoW was making yet another expansion further pulling away from 14. And even the CD we got was next to nothing for content. I'd love to see FFXI continue to grow and get more and more expansions, but the likelihood is very low. We'll most likely get another add-on scenario like Abyssea or the Crystalline Prophecy bunch.
    (3)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Concerning how it seems SE as a whole doesn't want to throw more money at XI. We haven't had a XI fanfest in years, the freshly picked look like something slightly higher than something someone could have done in their basement. Most players feel that the XI dev team is a skeleton crew or almost there. Though I will say that SoA was a nice surprise, but I doubt there will be another full blown expansion like this.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    Could and Would are two very different things. If the pool for the PS2 was so small in the US that it didn't warrant a release, I doubt that there will be a 'bigger' pool in Japan now that there are two generations of console differences.

While it's true that they wanted both games to continue in tandem, it's doesn't mean that they had a plan to release a full expansion passed WotG Orginally.

Wings of the Goddess debuted in the States: November 20, 2007. That is a MASSIVE 7 years ago. The conclusion update happened around Aug-September of 2010. Which that marks the official release of FFXIV: September 22, 2010 that ran until November 11, 2012. Coincidentally, The official announcement for the fourth WoW Expansion, happened in March of 2012 with a release date of September 25, 2012. Strangely enough, 3 months later, after nearly 2 years from the conclusion of WotG, and the increasingly poor reviews for and Sales for FFXIV, on June 22, 2012 an actual expansion was set to release April 11, 2013. 4 Months before the second attempt to get FFXIV:ARR off the ground.

The only reason that we got that expansion, in full truth was because FFXIV tanked and WoW was making yet another expansion further pulling away from 14. And even the CD we got was next to nothing for content. I'd love to see FFXI continue to grow and get more and more expansions, but the likelihood is very low. We'll most likely get another add-on scenario like Abyssea or the Crystalline Prophecy bunch.
    Well again you can't really state anything you said as fact, they asked US players in a questionnaire if they wanted SoA released on PS2 and they said no, which is why it didn't happen. They misunderstood the reasons they said no but still that's why. I mean honestly there is no valid reason not to keep releasing expansions, FFXI still gets monthly updates, still has a dedicated dev team working on it, gets monthly live letters and it still has a large number of players. FFXI is still one of the most popular mmo titles in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithera View Post
    Concerning how it seems SE as a whole doesn't want to throw more money at XI. We haven't had a XI fanfest in years, the freshly picked look like something slightly higher than something someone could have done in their basement. Most players feel that the XI dev team is a skeleton crew or almost there. Though I will say that SoA was a nice surprise, but I doubt there will be another full blown expansion like this.
    This doesn't make any sense, it gets monthly updates which are incredibly fast compared to almost any mmo you care to mention. That is by definition throwing money at XI, I've played games where it was obvious the devs had lost interest in the title and FFXI does not fit that bill at all. As for it having a skeleton crew, well that's been the case for many years now and we still got SoA so that's a meaningless argument. Development crew are not the same as a crew that makes an expansion pack.

FFXI still has a large playerbase who pay a high sub fee, especially in Japan and expansion packs really aren't all that costly to create since they always launch them bare bones and build on them over the following years. There is really zero reason not to put these out at all. People will buy them since we are a loyal bunch and there is no lockout on making PS2 discs.

I am certain one is coming because it's simply common sense that they would, I just wondered if SOA missions coming to an end signified it would be 2015 or 2016.
    (2)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast