Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Yet another spell request thread

Dispel II - removes one special effect from the target (auras, spikes, 1 hour effects, and any other currently non-dispellable effects).

This would obviously be overpowered as is, which is why special effects would have lowest dispel priority, meaning if the target has normally dispellable effects on it too then it would target those first. It would also be on a suitably long recast timer, probably 2 minutes or more. We all know Red Mage isn't getting anything without crappy mechanics like this attached.

Virus - Inflicts plague on the target

Plenty of other ways to inflict plague or other forms of tp reduction, seems reasonable to ask for it.

Here's one I haven't seen yet:

Enrage (aka Berserk) - Locks the monster onto it's current target for the duration of the spell, regardless of changes in enmity.

Yeah probably a pipe dream, but it would slap a Band-Aid on the enmity cap issues. At best it would be another long recast spell, at worst anything worth using it on would be immune.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zekander; 11-02-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    It would also be on a suitably long recast timer, probably 2 minutes or more.
    There's a systemic issue concerning recast times as a means of balancing a spell though. That 2 minute recast is essentially a 24 (22 with /Sch Arts) second recast when cast in a capped recast set. As these and other forums have shown, not everyone is as apt to gear for such a tool in order to maximize it's use, making a recast of anywhere from 22-120 seconds far from balancing. Such an effect is fairly powerful anyways, some NMs only dangerous phase is during Mighty Strikes, Chainspell, etc. Being able to nullify these effects are tied solely to a 1 hour timer atm with Larceny. Even something silly like a 10 minute recast timer could be dropped to as low as 108 seconds. Just hard to imagine it being balanced around anything besides absolutely terrible MAcc, which then creates the situation of it being nearly useless. Spam cast it in the hopes of landing it, only for the SP effect to wear off before it lands. XD

Props on Enrage though, that would prove useful in melee based zergs at least, or during the final push on an NM with Rngs when you know hate isn't far from capping. Without being able to keep the effect on 100%, can't imagine it being much of a band-aid for the hate system as a whole though. Think it'd prolly come with a mild increase in +damage as well to balance it to create situations where even though you may want to cement a mob onto a target, it's not preferred due to the possibility of death.
    (2)
    7/10/14

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Thanks, I had completely forgotten about /SCH. That pretty much explains why they haven't implemented any form of Dispel II after all these years.

I also rethought my stance on Virus. While it would only be a mild debuff in party situations, it could potentially be very powerful for soloing powerful mobs, where you could slow your tp feed to the point where they would never use a tp move. I think that pretty much spells the end of that as well.

Obviously if you could keep Enrage up 100% it would be overpowered, but I also thought that the strategy involved in using it would be a balancing factor. That is, you can't cast it when hate is already bouncing all over the place, you would need to communicate to the party to ensure it's effectiveness.

Two more spells I would like to see though:

Bravery - Increases physical damage dealt and physical damage taken.

Faith - Increases magic damage dealt and magic damage taken.

Obviously Faith is the more useful of the two, but you could possibly use Bravery on mobs that are not too aoe happy or just trash mobs that can't hurt you anyway, since it seems SE means to keep RDM melee as solo only.
    (1)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Dispel II - removes one special effect from the target (auras, spikes, 1 hour effects, and any other currently non-dispellable effects).

This would obviously be overpowered as is, which is why special effects would have lowest dispel priority, meaning if the target has normally dispellable effects on it too then it would target those first. It would also be on a suitably long recast timer, probably 2 minutes or more. We all know Red Mage isn't getting anything without crappy mechanics like this attached.

Virus - Inflicts plague on the target

Plenty of other ways to inflict plague or other forms of tp reduction, seems reasonable to ask for it.

Here's one I haven't seen yet:

Enrage (aka Berserk) - Locks the monster onto it's current target for the duration of the spell, regardless of changes in enmity.

Yeah probably a pipe dream, but it would slap a Band-Aid on the enmity cap issues. At best it would be another long recast spell, at worst anything worth using it on would be immune.
    I think you should un-scratch out virus on your OP because it's actually a great idea IMHO.

TP feed is actually a case where I think this game's battle system is flawed because it disadvantages certain play-styles in unfair ways. SE tried to address it by adding subtle blow mechanics but I still don't think it went far enough. So I would like to see the Virus spell become available, not only to Red Mages but to White and Blue mages as well. Possibly even more jobs too.

The enrage spell sounds cool also, so long as it had a fairly long recast timer which you pointed out it would. Though I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with this game's enmity system.

I have to concur with the previous poster though that the dispel II ability would probably be too powerful.
    (1)
    Last edited by Dale; 11-02-2014 at 01:22 AM.

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    BLU can already inflict a fairly potent plague with the spell Lowing, though probably with limited accuracy (I don't know I don't play BLU). I don't really see Virus as a white mage kind of spell, plus WHM already has Auspice to reduce TP gain. I can see them giving it to BLM and/or SCH but that wouldn't be very fair to RDM, which are (apparently) supposed to be the masters of enfeebling and yet have so few exclusive enfeebling spells.
    (0)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    BLU can already inflict a fairly potent plague with the spell Lowing, though probably with limited accuracy (I don't know I don't play BLU). I don't really see Virus as a white mage kind of spell, plus WHM already has Auspice to reduce TP gain. I can see them giving it to BLM and/or SCH but that wouldn't be very fair to RDM, which are (apparently) supposed to be the masters of enfeebling and yet have so few exclusive enfeebling spells.
    Well if that's the case, and Blue Mages and White mages already have similar spells all the more reason Red Mage should be getting virus.

So I would un-scratch it
    (0)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    actually blu has plague which is stronger version of disease(lowing is disease btw, and its acc is horrible because blus abused it on kirin to stop his regen) from delta strike its still fairly accurate as well, think its somthing like -10 tp (and i would assume mp as well) per tic. Probably should have clarified this earlier on but disease simply stops the regeneration of hp and mp plague actually starts eating the targets mp and tp. Presonaly i would like rdm to get a similar but diffrent debuff, maby somthing like Bleed but instead of mp and tp, drops hp and tp.

On faith and bravery i like faith as is(tho maybe a penalty to mevasion instead of mdef or mdt) , but bravery wouldn't be used like that, and would be alittle to close to berserk, maybe make it lower the chance for defensive traits to proc (parry block evasion ext)
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Thanks, I was just going by what wiki says about BLU spells, and I know it's pretty outdated now.

As for Faith and Bravery, I was just going on what the stats do in FF tactics and trying to make a compromise between what we might want and what SE wants us to have (though that is apparently nothing).
    (0)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Well traditionally bravery had no negative, and actually raised the chance for reaction abilitys, and faith was more for the boost of macc(and loss of mevasion) than for pure dmg boost i mean there was some just wasn't that much on someone you were already using as a nuker
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Right again, it's been a while since I played Tactics, sorry about that. However it seems unlikely that SE is going to give RDM anything without a significant downside, though they did give us Haste II, but of course now they plan on giving it to everyone else so pretty much our only leverage in parties will be gone again.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast