Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Nauta
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Faster Equipsets

I was just wondering if there were any plans to make the equipset action faster or so that it doesn't fail if it it tries to equip a set right after the other. Currently if I try to make a macro using equipsets for a spell with pre cast and after cast, the 2nd fails. I Can't really take advantage of a fastcast set if you have to put waits inside the macro using that set...
    (0)

This topic was previously discussed within another thread. As we have mentioned before, the speed at which equipment sets are changed is set to the fastest possible setting.

Feel free to review the thread and see what strategies other players have suggested.
    (0)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

Character
    Nauta
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I see. I think something else is happening then, it might not be speed. When I equip a set it's immediate and I am able to cast spells in that set. However, if I try to switch to a spell within a second, the second equipset wont fire. This is very strange because the first set is already completely loaded. So it's not really about speed, but the delay that comes after equiping the set that's the issue . Maybe it's something to do with macros. I'm not really sure because it even fails for things like this:

/equipset 81 /*cure precast*/
    /ma "Cure IV" <stpt> /* used to target party member and the rest of the macro WONT fire until I press enter
    /equipset 82 /* cure aftercast*/
    The second set won't equip despite the fact that I need to press enter in order to activate the 2nd half of the macro.

Edit: More!

Something else that is interesting. I've been testing this for a while now. If I do something like this:
    /equipset 81
    /equip ring1 "Dark Ring"
    /equip body "Geomancy Tunic"

It all executes! I could add as many lines after and it will work. Something is weird... Maybe we should just get more macro lines....
    (0)
    Last edited by Panda2013; 11-06-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    This topic was previously discussed within another thread. As we have mentioned before, the speed at which equipment sets are changed is set to the fastest possible setting.

Feel free to review the thread and see what strategies other players have suggested.
    The fact that a well-known and widely-used third-party add-on has had this ability for years would imply your devs aren't as capable as those of that third-party, wouldn't you say?

Sure, it's against your TOS but it has features you're claiming aren't possible.
    (10)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda2013 View Post
    I see. I think something else is happening then, it might not be speed. When I equip a set it's immediate and I am able to cast spells in that set. However, if I try to switch to a spell within a second, the second equipset wont fire. This is very strange because the first set is already completely loaded. So it's not really about speed, but the delay that comes after equiping the set that's the issue . Maybe it's something to do with macros. I'm not really sure because it even fails for things like this:
    The same thing happens to me.

If I try to equip a new set too soon after a previous one I'll get an error and the macro misfires. Which really doesn't surprise me because the whole gear swap thing has always felt clunky and unwieldy to me. Seems more like an aberration than an intended part of the gameplay. I also know players who quit this game because they got tired of dealing with it.

They should really just re-design the whole system and how it works. This idea of having to constantly change my clothes during combat has never appealed to me.
    (1)
    Last edited by Dale; 11-06-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Character
    Mefuki
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I disagree. I don't want FFXI to become a shallow, simple game by removing equipment sets. I don't know why anyone would want the game to become more "streamlined" (read:boring) in this way. Things like equipment sets and, for the most part, ignoring the strict definitions of the DD, Tank, Healer triangle, are what makes this good. It's what makes this game have depth in a sea of shallow, same-y games and MMOs.

That would be like what SE did with FFXIII, overly streamlining the RPG experience until it was barley an RPG anymore. I don't want to get a helmet that has STR+2 and be done with it, except when helmet +1 comes along with STR+3. That's boring. I want situational gear and incomparables with tons of differing attributes and effects.

To me, asking SE to remove the gear swap system is like asking them to just do away with depth and just let us hit things until they fall over. Like asking your D&D DM, "We don't really need all these options, do we? Can't we just walk forward and say, 'I attack the monster'"?
    (7)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cfpeJGwi2KhQjNvCkk5Cg

Character
    Ramzi
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda2013 View Post

/equipset 81 /*cure precast*/
    /ma "Cure IV" <stpt> /* used to target party member and the rest of the macro WONT fire until I press enter
    /equipset 82 /* cure aftercast*/
    The second set won't equip despite the fact that I need to press enter in order to activate the 2nd half of the macro.

Edit: More!

Something else that is interesting. I've been testing this for a while now. If I do something like this:
    /equipset 81
    /equip ring1 "Dark Ring"
    /equip body "Geomancy Tunic"

It all executes! I could add as many lines after and it will work. Something is weird... Maybe we should just get more macro lines....
    I'm no expert WHM or anything, but what's the point in equipping a pre-cast set when the macro you execute will change gear as soon as you execute it, ensuring your precast is not factored in at all. I assume your pre-cast is a fast cast set. Why not do a macro like this:

/ma "Cure IV" <stpt>
    /equipset 81
    /wait 1
    /equipset 82

Why wouldn't this work? With a 1 second wait, the spell should still be casting as the macro switches to your cure pot set. Maybe I'm missing something.
    (0)

Character
    Segagamer
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzi View Post
    I'm no expert WHM or anything, but what's the point in equipping a pre-cast set when the macro you execute will change gear as soon as you execute it, ensuring your precast is not factored in at all. I assume your pre-cast is a fast cast set. Why not do a macro like this:

/ma "Cure IV" <stpt>
    /equipset 81
    /wait 1
    /equipset 82

Why wouldn't this work? With a 1 second wait, the spell should still be casting as the macro switches to your cure pot set. Maybe I'm missing something.
    With it set up like that, the FC gear will equip after the spell started casting, so you don't get the benefit of reduced cast time.
    (0)

Character
    Nauta
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Yup it's as Sega said. If you don't equip it before it won't be factored in. With merits and gear, cure is instacast for me which is why the wait is a bit of an issue...
    (0)

Character
    Ramzi
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Ok, I don't macro in FC gear, so I wasn't sure. I figured the equip switch would go off before the spell actually started due to animation lag, etc.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast