Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    They also do monitor or check people sometimes but I frankly doubt they have anywhere near the manpower to watch individual people for an entire week. Go thru logs sure but not sit there and watch
    Yeah, they may have done so in the past, but what happens when both GMs are helping someone?
    (0)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphTheGalka View Post
    I think what people are failing to understand here is that WoW actually allows a large number of 3rd party addons so it's not really a valid comparison. The number of prohibited addons seems to be mostly limited to farming bots and things that would allow the warring factions to easily communicate with each other in game. So SE would be doing themselves a huge disservice to try to use punkbuster or some releated technology without first providing the addon framework themselves.
    This is also a very fair point on the subject. Blizzard has always been very welcoming, even encouraging, of addon developers. They like people improving their game. And they're not so high and mighty to ignore situations where addons are required. They will take it upon themselves to create a stock option in that scenario, so that everyone has access to such a feature, then they build outwards from it, creating encounters with the knowledge that now everyone has the ability that x addon offers.

I do remember another addon that they purposely broke, claiming it made things too easy. I forget the name, but the addon allowed you to virtually draw on the terrain and areas, allowing you to, for example, draw off a circle in a corner and label it "SAFE ZONE" or draw a line to an ally of where to run, etc. I thought it was pretty unique, but it was quickly misused, not only for vulgarity and slander, but for making raid content too easy, since someone could map out exactly where to go and what to do, rather than relying on people knowing their rolls and how to handle the situations.

Blizzard is very unique in their position as developers though. I wonder what FFXI would be like if SE redesigned the system to be more addon friendly, and opened it up to the community to augment as they saw fit. And as someone else said, if there's a will, there's a way. Even with Warden, there are still loopholes. Blizzard is just fairly strict on countering/patching them ASAP.
    (0)
    7/10/14

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    This is also a very fair point on the subject. Blizzard has always been very welcoming, even encouraging, of addon developers. They like people improving their game. And they're not so high and mighty to ignore situations where addons are required. They will take it upon themselves to create a stock option in that scenario, so that everyone has access to such a feature, then they build outwards from it, creating encounters with the knowledge that now everyone has the ability that x addon offers.

I do remember another addon that they purposely broke, claiming it made things too easy. I forget the name, but the addon allowed you to virtually draw on the terrain and areas, allowing you to, for example, draw off a circle in a corner and label it "SAFE ZONE" or draw a line to an ally of where to run, etc. I thought it was pretty unique, but it was quickly misused, not only for vulgarity and slander, but for making raid content too easy, since someone could map out exactly where to go and what to do, rather than relying on people knowing their rolls and how to handle the situations.

Blizzard is very unique in their position as developers though. I wonder what FFXI would be like if SE redesigned the system to be more addon friendly, and opened it up to the community to augment as they saw fit. And as someone else said, if there's a will, there's a way. Even with Warden, there are still loopholes. Blizzard is just fairly strict on countering/patching them ASAP.
    I'd imagine if SE did open up to officially endorsing addons (with some restrictions obviously) not only would be be getting a lot of qol stuff sooner but there would be less double work of the community making things and then SE doing it. And well they'd save a ton of time/money on developing them which given there skeleton crew they have you'd think they'd be all over that. I mean how much time did they waste making windowed mode to begin with which is the first thing the community did. Or the equip sets which the community did years ago
    (3)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2