Thread: Useless spells

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Useless spells

There are many spells in a Red Mage's arsenal that never see the light of day, and I seem to recall reading a dev post that stated a hardcoded limit to the total number of spells that can be in the game. No doubt they will devise a workaround for this eventually, but until then I would like to suggest reworking some of those spells that go completely unused so that they are actually useful.

I would like to start out with one spell in particular, or more accurately, six spells, that are completely useless in virtually all situations. These spells are of course the Tier 2 En-spells.

As far as I know, no one uses these spells for anything. Ever.

This situation can be very easily remedied, simply remove an arbitrary and completely unnecessary limitation.

In case you don't know, En-spell IIs only proc on the first weapon swing, excluding off-hand and multi-attacks. This limitation alone makes these spells completely worthless, especially so with the high level focus on multi-attacks and dual wielding.

I'm sure this request has been made many times before, but with the recent influx of melee oriented gear made available to Red Mage perhaps now they might be willing to listen.

There is absolutely no reason for these spells to be limited in this way, and it would not make a huge difference in anything if they were fixed.

TLDR - Please fix En-spell IIs, or just delete them to make room for new spells.

PS - Feel free to post about your own useless spells, who knows maybe someone will listen.
    (7)

Player
    There's another issue that needs to be corrected with them as well. The fact that Enhancing Magic Skill is taken into account when attacking not when casting, meaning to get decent damage even single wielding you'd have to TP in Enhancing Magic gear... Just thought it worth mentioning since even if they fixed the DW/Multi-Attack issue with them this would still be a pretty big issue with the spells.
    (4)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    I seem to recall reading a dev post that stated a hardcoded limit to the total number of spells that can be in the game. No doubt they will devise a workaround for this eventually.
    I remember that post, and IIRC, it was a good bit before SoA came out. I'd imagine they found that workaround, as they've added dozens of trust spells, 60 Geomancy spells, 12 Elemental Magic spells (-Ra/-Ra II), nearly a couple dozen Blu spells, and a few other random spells, Crusade, Distract/Frazzle/Flurry I and IIs, Foil, Nin spells, etc. Of course I don't know if spell limit is still a concern of theirs at some point, but whatever limit they claimed to be near in the past has been pushed past IMO.

/support fixing Rdm though. Had/played Rdm for awhile, but it's still just not quite where it needs to be as far as what it can offer to a party.
    (0)
    7/10/14

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I can't find the post but I'm certain I've seen a dev response on here stating they did find a work around to add a ton more spell space in response to saying but they still wouldn't add something a member of the community suggested.

I agree with the OP and like how it was phrased. I also agree with Demonjustin they need to not only remove the limit of only on the main hand but also that you have to wear Enhancing Magic for damage after the spell is cast.
    (1)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Also what about gain spells... half of them are more or less useless as self only same with temper... make all rdm buffs that are currently self only into at least anyone in party
    (1)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Gain spells would at least be used when soloing, possibly gain-int/mnd in parties. The problem with tier 2 en-spells is that they are effectively worse then the tier 1s, so there is no reason to ever use them.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Str would be used melee soloing (though arguably you would never use vit/dex since you wouldn't really solo things you need hit rate on and vit is rather minimal gains) but I can't see a time to ever use chr or chr and and yeah int/mnd good. But I mean that's 4 out of 7 and one is only really good for meleeing which isn't exactly rdms forte and is more of a for fun kind of scenario to begin with which makes it a win more spell at best. Just seems silly that whm can easily AoE them but rdm can only hit itself

I could argue that enspell 2s main purpose was the resistances lowering part... but then that just brings us to meleeing again and things you'd melee wouldn't need the resistance lowered. Now if you could cast it on someone else it might actually be more dmg if you got rid of the enhancing magic check on proc and most your DDs in pts with a rdm are 2hd weapon users. Niche use to be sure but a use

Which kinda brings me back to why not make all rdm only self only spells usable on party members. It would open up the uses on them a lot and SE has made it clear they don't really like rdm solos so why give us essential solo only spells? And it's not like they would be overpowered. Whm can aoe stat and brd can single target a lot more +stat, inferno howl is significantly better then our enspells are right now, Even temper as good as it is wouldn't be as good as fighters roll can get.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Str would be used melee soloing (though arguably you would never use vit/dex since you wouldn't really solo things you need hit rate on and vit is rather minimal gains) but I can't see a time to ever use chr or chr and and yeah int/mnd good. But I mean that's 4 out of 7 and one is only really good for meleeing which isn't exactly rdms forte and is more of a for fun kind of scenario to begin with which makes it a win more spell at best. Just seems silly that whm can easily AoE them but rdm can only hit itself

I could argue that enspell 2s main purpose was the resistances lowering part... but then that just brings us to meleeing again and things you'd melee wouldn't need the resistance lowered. Now if you could cast it on someone else it might actually be more dmg if you got rid of the enhancing magic check on proc and most your DDs in pts with a rdm are 2hd weapon users. Niche use to be sure but a use

Which kinda brings me back to why not make all rdm only self only spells usable on party members. It would open up the uses on them a lot and SE has made it clear they don't really like rdm solos so why give us essential solo only spells? And it's not like they would be overpowered. Whm can aoe stat and brd can single target a lot more +stat, inferno howl is significantly better then our enspells are right now, Even temper as good as it is wouldn't be as good as fighters roll can get.
    not use DEX?!? CDC says hi.
    fighter's roll barely beats out temper, and that's only with an 11 and with a lolWAR in the party. otherwise temper wins.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    not use DEX?!? CDC says hi.
    fighter's roll barely beats out temper, and that's only with an 11 and with a lolWAR in the party. otherwise temper wins.
    Yes yes I know CDC is dex modded but would that really be better than str for overall dps unless you were in a situation where you knew it would effect your crit rate? Perhaps if you were capped fstr but then we are back to the more win situation.

True only an 11 with war bonus though notice I did specify can get not that it would definitely be better. That said war is far from lol and you can get it 50% of the time with tricorne. Though in retrospect looking back it looks like the data for fighters is somewhat in question... but if it is accurate they would tie on an 11 even without war proc. And with war proc can tie on a 5. But yes all other rolls should be a little lower.

Though that's kinda getting away from the point I was trying to make in that Cor can already do similar things for a party (a lot of other buffs that are fairly powerful especially now) so they can't use the it would be overpowered argument for party casting of temper. Hell make it AoE only so then you have an excuse for getting next to the mob and while you are there melee some
    (0)
    Last edited by dasva; 09-22-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Yes yes I know CDC is dex modded but would that really be better than str for overall dps unless you were in a situation where you knew it would effect your crit rate? Perhaps if you were capped fstr but then we are back to the more win situation.

True only an 11 with war bonus though notice I did specify can get not that it would definitely be better. That said war is far from lol and you can get it 50% of the time with tricorne. Though in retrospect looking back it looks like the data for fighters is somewhat in question... but if it is accurate they would tie on an 11 even without war proc. And with war proc can tie on a 5. But yes all other rolls should be a little lower.

Though that's kinda getting away from the point I was trying to make in that Cor can already do similar things for a party (a lot of other buffs that are fairly powerful especially now) so they can't use the it would be overpowered argument for party casting of temper. Hell make it AoE only so then you have an excuse for getting next to the mob and while you are there melee some
    i say lolWAR cuz any DD other than SAM is lol ; ; this is not so much of an opinion as it is just the way the current mechanics of the game are.
    (1)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast