Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless spells

Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    i say lolWAR cuz any DD other than SAM is lol ; ; this is not so much of an opinion as it is just the way the current mechanics of the game are.
    Yeah... lolRNG!
    (2)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Going to have to disagree here.

The en-spells 2 are quite good in my opinion. They allow you to lower resistance to the opposite element and I use them almost exclusively. I can understand why you wouldn't want to use them with a multi-hit weapon. But that's the way it should be, because it helps the tier1s retain a purpose as well.

I also like the gain spells. For a quick example: gain dexterity can add useful accuracy to your melee attacks. I don't understand why a Red Mage would have a problem with our gain spells or find them useless.

Red Mage is one of the best designed classes ever on any MMORPG in my opinion. Especially after they got composure.
    (0)

Player
    En-spells are the only spells in the game I can think of that have a second tier that doesn't always beat the first. When you learn a second tier to a spell it is normally a pure upgrade, becoming better in every way than the original. En-spells have two spells that do similar and yet very different things in the end, which results in them situationally trading off. It's a very weird design for them, unlike anything else in the game I can think of in that regard. Honestly, En-spells shouldn't be this way though, IIs should be a pure upgrade, not a situationally superior enhancement that only serves to make us weaker as a whole when we already need as much as we can get in melee damage on the front lines as it is.
    (1)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    En-spells are the only spells in the game I can think of that have a second tier that doesn't always beat the first. When you learn a second tier to a spell it is normally a pure upgrade, becoming better in every way than the original. En-spells have two spells that do similar and yet very different things in the end, which results in them situationally trading off. It's a very weird design for them, unlike anything else in the game I can think of in that regard. Honestly, En-spells shouldn't be this way though, IIs should be a pure upgrade, not a situationally superior enhancement that only serves to make us weaker as a whole when we already need as much as we can get in melee damage on the front lines as it is.
    Another example: phalanx 2 isn't a pure upgrade from phalanx 1. It just serves a different purpose, allowing us to cast on other party members. So I don't see why a new tier always needs to be a pure upgrade. In fact I think it's better that it just allows a different usage of the spell, that way neither spell becomes useless or obsolete.

Also, considering the vast amount of support utility this class has now, I think our melee damage is fine. So I don't share your opinion that we are weak. Nor do I understand why you feel the tier2 en spells make us weaker. They just provide us with a way to reduce resistances while at the same time adding some damage to our melee attacks. It doesn't weaken the class.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dale; 09-26-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Sorry guys but you just don't know how to play RDM if Enspell I&II mechanics throw you off like that, same with Gain spells, if you don't know how each stat affects you then you don't know why it is such an advantage to be able to chose a stat to boost at will.

What you should be complaining about instead is how badly RDM spells scale with skill and how low the caps are set on them, also about how the merit spells should be scrolls instead with merits used to either enhance them directly or generally.

But the mechanics of spells are good, you just need to learn2play and to adapt to situations.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post

Red Mage is one of the best designed classes ever on any MMORPG in my opinion. Especially after they got composure.
    I lol'ed hard. Love rdm. This statement is hilarious.
    (1)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I am also of the opinion that tier 2 spells should make tier 1s obsolete. If you want to make spells that do different things, fine go ahead, but just call them what they are different spells.

Furthermore, the reference you give for precedent is another Red Mage spell, one that is also completely useless due to Accession from /SCH.
    (0)

T2 enspells have a great utility in Monstrosity, if nothing else
    (1)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    I am also of the opinion that tier 2 spells should make tier 1s obsolete. If you want to make spells that do different things, fine go ahead, but just call them what they are different spells.

Furthermore, the reference you give for precedent is another Red Mage spell, one that is also completely useless due to Accession from /SCH.
    Not really, unless you are assuming every red mage subs scholar. Not to mention accession/phalanx requires you to move in, which can be dangerous in some situations. It also requires a limited charge that the Red Mage may want to reserve for something else. Phalanx 2 is not completely useless.

I also think it's strange that on a post complaining about spells being useless in seems you are in favor of making spells obsolete by adding new tiers. Seems they can't win for losing.
    (1)
    Last edited by Dale; 09-27-2014 at 06:37 AM.

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    I lol'ed hard. Love rdm. This statement is hilarious.
    Why is the statement that I think Red Mage is one of the best designed classes so hilarious?

Very few games have been able to pull off an effective support class role. This game's Red Mage is one of the very few that has succeeded at it.
    (1)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast