Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    Oh let me explain myself a little better. The mud example was meant to represent many of the bad things we put up with because we just assumed that that's how things had to be. At the time, all we knew was that MMOs had to be punishing and the way you progressed was just by pushing through it and getting a marginally stronger. Kiting Kirin for an hour was just the way it was.

So we just put up with it because that's what we didn't know any better. So no I'm not talking about literally eating mud. And certainly not worms, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

If you add up the seeking time, the travel time, and the actual XP time, you're putting in a few hours without getting a lot back is my point. There was no guarantee you'd even get an invite at all. And this was during the game's peak when everybody was looking for XP.

I guess I just assumed that back in the day, not everybody had clear sailing XPing jobs that weren't RDM or BRD.
    I did a lot of stuff that was productive while lfp, I don't quite understand the commitment there. Besides that, your example is only 1 hour and 30 mins at most. Let us not forget that you also used examples like the dunes in previous posts, where most, if not all players, were LFP IN that zone, resulting in a time travel of like 2mins. Now, I do know players that exp'd for several hours. I've done it myself, and I would absolutely do it again, but trying to argue there is a time commitment in sitting there lfp? Come on lol. People like you are also people who complain about time commitment, yet are on FFXI all day. For example, you have several relics, a mythic, etc. I would assume you have spent more time than the issue you are trying to create, yet you argue that people don't have that kind of time in 2014? Even more, there is this implication that people who do want to supposedly play casual (even though they blatantly aren't) have to play on said server, when that is on the contrary.

I do get where you are going with though, would people really want this kind of stuff anymore with all the modern conveniences in modern day MMOs (for example, even though I love FFXI, I also do love dungeon finder tools). Well, like pointed out in the other thread exactly like this (and even this thread), we have provided several instances of where servers like this ultimately turned out more successful than where the game had progressed. That isn't to say there can't be both, but there is people who go crazy for this nostalgia crap and would LOVE to do it all over again. There is even people that some call "Power Gamers" who would love to play on a server like this just for the sake of getting to HNMs and preventing other people from ever killing one.

I'll even give another example of this crave for this nostalgia. There is a server for EQ called project1999 which trys to recreate the classic era of EQ. It has not only brought a population to the servers that hits numbers higher than servers hit in what some would consider the peak of EQ, but has brought new players to the server to experience something they never got to experience. Which has resulted in several people who fell in love with it and haven't left. So there is even opportunity to not just bring back old players, but new players in general.

Just to make it clear though, I do agree with you to an extent that a server like this will most likely not bring millions of subs, or even anything equivalent to what use to exist, merely based off what you said. This is more of a guilt trip for SE tbh, that we have hit a point in FFXI's life that this SHOULD happen, and there won't be any harm.
    (0)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    I did a lot of stuff that was productive while lfp, I don't quite understand the commitment there. Besides that, your example is only 1 hour and 30 mins at most. Let us not forget that you also used examples like the dunes in previous posts, where most, if not all players, were LFP IN that zone, resulting in a time travel of like 2mins. Now, I do know players that exp'd for several hours. I've done it myself, and I would absolutely do it again, but trying to argue there is a time commitment in sitting there lfp? Come on lol. People like you are also people who complain about time commitment, yet are on FFXI all day. For example, you have several relics, a mythic, etc. I would assume you have spent more time than the issue you are trying to create, yet you argue that people don't have that kind of time in 2014? Even more, there is this implication that people who do want to supposedly play casual (even though they blatantly aren't) have to play on said server, when that is on the contrary.
    I was just trying to say that if you wanted XP, you had to be able to commit a sizable chunk of your time. Whether you're doing things while waiting, you still have to be online. Similarly, even if you only had to be attentive every 30 minutes for Kings camps, that was still potentially a 3+ hour commitment. Also, travel time was a very real thing back then.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    I do get where you are going with though, would people really want this kind of stuff anymore with all the modern conveniences in modern day MMOs (for example, even though I love FFXI, I also do love dungeon finder tools). Well, like pointed out in the other thread exactly like this (and even this thread), we have provided several instances of where servers like this ultimately turned out more successful than where the game had progressed. That isn't to say there can't be both, but there is people who go crazy for this nostalgia crap and would LOVE to do it all over again. There is even people that some call "Power Gamers" who would love to play on a server like this just for the sake of getting to HNMs and preventing other people from ever killing one.

I'll even give another example of this crave for this nostalgia. There is a server for EQ called project1999 which trys to recreate the classic era of EQ. It has not only brought a population to the servers that hits numbers higher than servers hit in what some would consider the peak of EQ, but has brought new players to the server to experience something they never got to experience. Which has resulted in several people who fell in love with it and haven't left. So there is even opportunity to not just bring back old players, but new players in general.

Just to make it clear though, I do agree with you to an extent that a server like this will most likely not bring millions of subs, or even anything equivalent to what use to exist, merely based off what you said. This is more of a guilt trip for SE tbh, that we have hit a point in FFXI's life that this SHOULD happen, and there won't be any harm.
    I'm certainly not claiming that today's FFXI is superior. It's comparing two different games with different players. But there are so many things that have been improved between then and now (which I mentioned briefly earlier). My biggest beef back then was actually how much time you had to commit to XP in order to level a job to 75. Unless you really played a lot, you couldn't level up a bunch of jobs to try them out. I never even had the time or inclination to level a 2nd job till just before Abyssea.

Practically speaking, I do wonder whether people are nostalgic for the XP or the endgame, because the people who race to 75 to dominate endgame are going to have to wait quite awhile for the "smell the roses" crowd to catch up. That's why I think it's important to identify what people miss. If people are are really after recreating life at 75 then maybe XPing should be de-empathized. Also if you wanted to get the most out of endgame at 75 there were SO many events you had to do. Dynamis, Limbus, Einherjar, Sky, Sea, ZNMs, Salvage... I guess variety is good but good luck getting enough people to do what you want to do. I can't even imagine going back to 7-man Salvage with 2% drop rates.

Anyway, good luck with the crusade, I really just wanted to illustrate that some of the things we put up with really were pretty terrible.
    (0)

Player
    Update regarding the continued success of the Lineage 2 classic servers: http://boards.rochand.com/viewtopic.php?p=27833#p27833

-Subscription cost is 300 RUB for the Russian servers, which is approximately $8.00. So around half a normal subscription fee.

-Tons of hype coming from the European/Russian community alone. They plan on opening an additional classic server to meet player demand.

Everything seems to be going really well for them.
    (1)
    Last edited by nekrothing; 09-13-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Also I don't think you understand, classic servers are not supported with new content and in this case we are talking about a single server. Would it need a cluster? I don't know, but the way I see it is ffxi already has servers so this would be maintained along with those and likely hosted in the same location. FFXI as is could probably due with a server merge and that would be the best time to do this, merge a few active servers and switch a now unused server over to supporting this. While you assume the tasks to be monumental in size I see it as being appropriate and supporting a larger group than you would think.
    I'm not sure why I am going through the hardships of answering you on this.

An FFXI server is run on something like this:

Not this:

It's a cluster, not a single computer.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    An FFXI server is run on something like this
    You mean this?

http://imgur.com/X23e1be,JjpJ8mE,1RI9och,zxDX5Pl

Despite the limitations of their resources and manpower, there are individuals who have spent their own money on server infrastructure that rival even Square's, who have attempted to recreate the classic FFXI experience.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirai View Post
    I'm not sure why I am going through the hardships of answering you on this.

An FFXI server is run on something like this:
    It's a cluster, not a single computer.
    And what exactly is your point? I already addressed why that is less of an issue than you made it out to be, they already have server clusters, whats to stop them from merging some of their servers and and using the cluster for the servers being phased out for the classic server?
    (1)

Character
    Griffinx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    perhaps make a new thread called PETITION or something to show everyone the petition i think it will get more views that way
    (0)

Nobody wants it, go to a private server.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    You mean this?

http://imgur.com/X23e1be,JjpJ8mE,1RI9och,zxDX5Pl

Despite the limitations of their resources and manpower, there are individuals who have spent their own money on server infrastructure that rival even Square's, who have attempted to recreate the classic FFXI experience.
    You mean, *gasp* there are individuals out there that make servers for people to play on that will give people who want a classic server experience? WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE JOIN THOSE SERVERS! I mean, it sounds like it's what everyone wants. So why are we bothering SE if there's already something out there that suits the needs and wants of all those who want to play classic ffxi?
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamph View Post
    You mean, *gasp* there are individuals out there that make servers for people to play on that will give people who want a classic server experience? WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE JOIN THOSE SERVERS! I mean, it sounds like it's what everyone wants. So why are we bothering SE if there's already something out there that suits the needs and wants of all those who want to play classic ffxi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Nobody wants it, go to a private server.
    Obviously people want it or we wouldnt HAVE private servers for them, or people like me posting here, or any of the people i've talked to that were ashamed of the changes made in abyssea. I don't know why you don't get this (draylo in specific) as you were always a stalwart fan of the game, I don't care if you moved on or not, but you do not have the means to speak for the devs or the entire popluation so why don't you just support the petition or move on from this thread? If it cannot be accomplished due to resources the devs will surely say so if they decided to comment. If nobody wants it then surely this post will die out anyway. You stating these things means nothing.

As for the comments about private servers, they suck and are you know, private (this is a generalization about them, I haven't played one for ffxi but Im fully aware of the problems with them). The best way to get the experience is to have an OFFICIAL server, where bugs would be limited and server stability would be good with higher security and more public visibility. There are already a good bit of people who were playing on private servers but 1. they were spread out 2. not everyone who would want this knows about private servers and if they do they dont always want to mess with that kind of stuff. Its really not a fair comparison, if SE launched a classic server it would easily be 4x larger than the population of the largest private server at minimum.
    (1)

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast