Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

This game could benefit from a classic server.

Usually when someone brings this subject up, it turns into an argument blinded by nostalgia. I'd like to avoid that by discussing how this game could objectively benefit from the inclusion of a classic server.

Firstly, some background information: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05...rver-detailed/

Lineage 2 is currently in the process of launching three subscription-based hybrid-classic servers (classic servers with some modern amenities) which are being beta tested at the moment. NCSoft originally planned to have only one, but it became popular enough to warrant three. They're currently the most populated servers in the game.

Second classic server launched, with international ones being considered: http://2p.com/6773375_1/Innova-wants...by-Apophis.htm

Third classic server launched: http://i.imgur.com/e2zryGU.jpg

EU classic server confirmed: http://boards.rochand.com/viewtopic....art=350#p27507

NA classic server being considered: http://s16.postimg.org/ce6zleln9/Dear_NCsoft.png

Now, how is this relevant? For quite some time, there are those who have hoped that Square would release some sort of classic server for FFXI. With the recent influx of players, the aging Lineage 2 has proved that it might be worthwhile for Square to test the waters with their own hybrid-classic server. If it'll revitalize the population and bring people back, having some sort "PTS-Classic Server" to gauge the interest wouldn't be a bad idea.

What are your thoughts?
    (8)
    Last edited by nekrothing; 09-15-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    There was actually a thread on this, but, I don't know. Endgame is still group content. But why did SE make leveling so much easier?

Because the playerbase is much smaller and very top heavy.

A classic server that can't be transferred to, after a time, I bet it would have the same problem. Once it's top heavy again... it's going to be pretty hard to level.

My personal thoughts haven't really changed from the other thread though... It seems like there's still plenty of relevant group content and long term goals at endgame for those that want that kind of thing, so I prefer the dev team keep focused on the main version rather than split their resources.
    (2)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I wouldn't play on it, but I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as it did nothing to detract from the development of the mainstream version of the game. I just don't trust SE enough for that not to happen. Many of their promises already suffer from schedule slippage as is. I don't think they can afford another distraction.
    (4)

NO, stop these dumb threads. You people need to move on... Life goes on and the game is evolving every day as it needs to in order to survive. They have plenty of private servers out there.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Ris View Post
    There was actually a thread on this, but, I don't know. Endgame is still group content. But why did SE make leveling so much easier?

Because the playerbase is much smaller and very top heavy.

A classic server that can't be transferred to, after a time, I bet it would have the same problem. Once it's top heavy again... it's going to be pretty hard to level.

My personal thoughts haven't really changed from the other thread though... It seems like there's still plenty of relevant group content and long term goals at endgame for those that want that kind of thing, so I prefer the dev team keep focused on the main version rather than split their resources.
    Making leveling harder would solve nothing but hinder people from trying new jobs. SE already created a nostalgia partying experience, its called grinding in Woh Gates for JP. Nobody does it because they are lazy... imagine old school parties for low lvl exp lol
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    Many of their promises already suffer from schedule slippage as is. I don't think they can afford another distraction.
    We needn't look any further than some of the threads on the front page to realize this harsh truth. Maintaining their current schedule on top of running an entirely separate classic server could be difficult. Both you and Ris raised another valid point, regarding detraction from the main servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    I wouldn't play on it, but I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as it did nothing to detract from the development of the mainstream version of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ris View Post
    I prefer the dev team keep focused on the main version rather than split their resources.
    Preventing their resources from being spread too thin would undoubtedly be the main hurdle. However, if the classic server turned out to be as successful for FFXI as it was for Lineage 2, the financial gain could greatly benefit overall development. Imagine three full servers worth of new and returning players, breathing new life into the game. Hopefully that would justify the resources needed for such an undertaking.
    (1)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    There was a thread on this yesterday. They're discussing what a terrible idea it is over there.

You people need to grow up and deal with the fact that life goes on, regardless of how much you want to live in the past. It's also such a dumb idea. The game worked, just barely, in the past because the higher server populations gave you better odds of collecting people to do stuff. Now with lower populations, that model would be unsustainable, and given that this server would have still fewer people makes it work even worse than if the entirety of the current game were rolled back.

SE didn't create Abyssea and all the subsequent changes for the Hell of it. They did it because they were losing subscribers and people hated the way the game was. So yeah, that's a winning idea. Create a separate server for the content almost nobody wants.
    (8)
    Last edited by Zarchery; 09-12-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    NO, stop these dumb threads. You people need to move on... Life goes on and the game is evolving every day as it needs to in order to survive. They have plenty of private servers out there.
    And exactly how does offering a SINGLE separate server with a different ruleset stop the game from "evolving" as you called it? How about YOU stop with your dumb complaints about stuff that doesn't affect you and let people provide feedback about things they desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    There was a thread on this yesterday. They're discussing what a terrible idea it is over there.

You people need to grow up and deal with the fact that life goes on, regardless of how much you want to live in the past. It's also such a dumb idea. The game worked, just barely, in the past because the higher server populations gave you better odds of collecting people to do stuff. Now with lower populations, that model would be unsustainable, and given that this server would have still fewer people makes it work even worse than if the entirety of the current game were rolled back.

SE didn't create Abyssea and all the subsequent changes for the Hell of it. They did it because they were losing subscribers and people hated the way the game was. So yeah, that's a winning idea. Create a separate server for the content almost nobody wants.
    Ok, first that was my thread (idk why this one popped up) and apparently you didn't read it because the majority are in favor of the idea in there. Further, everyone against it said nothing about it being terrible, only that they don't think its possible due to resources or other proplems.

Moving on, if anyone needs to grow up I would say it would be you and draylo over there, two people who are complaining about people requesting something that has no affect on the current version of the game you seem to like so much. The game was as I liked it, this is not some kind of mystery I actually enjoyed it back then and ever since abyssea have been in search of a similar experience. Regardless of why they made the changes they did (the changes actually made subs drop, not go up) it doesn't matter because this is NOT REVERSING ANYTHING, just offering an alternative for those who wish it. Stop being a selfish jerk by saying EVERYTHING must be your way and nothing else may exist when I and I assume the OP are simply seeing if it is POSSIBLE (no demands, a check) to bring back something we greatly enjoyed and wish to again.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    Create a separate server for the content almost nobody wants.
    Obviously it's something people want if they're asking for it. Lineage 2 has proven to be successful, with three domestic (currently the most populated servers) and three international subscription-based classic servers. Why deny potential financial gain that could benefit the overall development of the game?

As far as "life goes on," hyperbole is worse than nostalgia. All of the rose-tinting is coming from those exaggerating about how awful the game used to be.
    (2)

Character
    Ruzoko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    Obviously it's something people want if they're asking for it. Lineage 2 has proven to be successful, with three domestic (currently the most populated servers) and three international subscription-based classic servers. Why deny potential financial gain that could benefit the overall development of the game?

As far as "life goes on," hyperbole is worse than nostalgia. All of the rose-tinting is coming from those exaggerating about how awful the game used to be.
    I agree to this, from what i've heard myself on FFXIV MANY would prefer to have a classic server again to enjoy the old days when a group actually meant something, linkshells were worth having, not this solo solo solo thats affecting this and most MMO aside from the annoying dungeon spams for very bland gear you see everyone walking around in. Also i will include that myself and dozens of others quit FFXI for that exact reason, with abyssea it killed all old leveling areas and SoA just killed most of the game entirely.
    (2)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast