Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    Obviously it's something people want if they're asking for it. Lineage 2 has proven to be successful, with three domestic (currently the most populated servers) and three international subscription-based classic servers. Why deny potential financial gain that could benefit the overall development of the game?

As far as "life goes on," hyperbole is worse than nostalgia. All of the rose-tinting is coming from those exaggerating about how awful the game used to be.
    As a side note nekrothing, you should move over to my thread and paste your op and leave a like as its slightly larger (don't need duplicate threads splitting things).

You can find that here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...Classic-Server
    (0)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    There was a thread on this yesterday. They're discussing what a terrible idea it is over there.

You people need to grow up and deal with the fact that life goes on, regardless of how much you want to live in the past. It's also such a dumb idea. The game worked, just barely, in the past because the higher server populations gave you better odds of collecting people to do stuff. Now with lower populations, that model would be unsustainable, and given that this server would have still fewer people makes it work even worse than if the entirety of the current game were rolled back.

SE didn't create Abyssea and all the subsequent changes for the Hell of it. They did it because they were losing subscribers and people hated the way the game was. So yeah, that's a winning idea. Create a separate server for the content almost nobody wants.
    Lol, SE needs to give these people troll titles. Posts like this are cluttered with so much misinformation and no representation of the FFXI community at all or past community at all.

Anyways, as much as I agree with you OP, and is quite apparent in the other thread. I am not a big fan of people creating what looks like alt accounts to clutter the forums with what they think is a good idea. Also considering at the time of your post, the other thread was basically at the top of General Discussions, it's pretty hard to miss. Let me rephrase that, you actually have to go OUT of your way to miss it. Now I may be wrong, but considering how soon each thread has been with each other, I'm assuming you are an alt given your post history is directly related to this subject.

Again, I do agree with you, and SE should take advantage of this notion that isn't new. People have been suggesting this years. Hell, I made a thread about it I think in even 2010? So it's been a long time suggestion.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    Lol, SE needs to give these people troll titles. Posts like this are cluttered with so much misinformation and no representation of the FFXI community at all or past community at all.

Anyways, as much as I agree with you OP, and is quite apparent in the other thread. I am not a big fan of people creating what looks like alt accounts to clutter the forums with what they think is a good idea. Also considering at the time of your post, the other thread was basically at the top of General Discussions, it's pretty hard to miss. Let me rephrase that, you actually have to go OUT of your way to miss it. Now I may be wrong, but considering how soon each thread has been with each other, I'm assuming you are an alt given your post history is directly related to this subject.

Again, I do agree with you, and SE should take advantage of this notion that isn't new. People have been suggesting this years. Hell, I made a thread about it I think in even 2010? So it's been a long time suggestion.
    *snip* Sorry, I assumed you were suggesting that. Nevermind.
    (0)
    Last edited by Natasha; 09-12-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Sadly the biggest reason for not having a server is the whole "needed a 6 man party to do 99% of the non-end game content" and 18 ppl for all endgame. I do not think there would be enough players to have such a server. But that is my opinion. As long as SE doesn't roll the rest of us back I could care less. Though if SE is unwilling to make a server that is "retro" maybe they should look in to letting the privet server community that does stuff like that for many many many games, have a crack at the older content i.e. everything up to the cap increase. So that would be the last patches just before Abyssea.
    (3)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    He isn't my alt lol... I mean I just told him to bring his support over to my thread. I was just as shocked as eveyone else to see the same topic pretty much re-posted today when mine was just a little ways down the list.
    No one said he was your alt?
    (0)

Player
    Now I may be wrong, but considering how soon each thread has been with each other, I'm assuming you are an alt given your post history is directly related to this subject.
    I'm not an alt, I'm a returning player. Square's discount campaign has the Ultimate Collection marked down to $10, which I bought. I didn't see the other thread because I didn't bother to look for any recent threads regarding classic servers. I just happened to make one myself at around the same time as Natasha.

Just goes to show how much interest there is in the idea, though.
    (0)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    I'm not an alt, I'm a returning player. Square's discount campaign has the Ultimate Collection marked down to $10, which I bought. I didn't see the other thread because I didn't bother to look for any recent threads regarding classic servers. I just happened to make one myself at around the same time as Natasha.

Just goes to show how much interest there is in the idea, though.
    Aww I see, well even better if that is the case!
    (0)

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I should also point out that most of the time unless a post or original post gets 10+ likes you it goes relatively unnoticed. So far you guys have 2 on this one and 5 on the other. Best of luck in your endeavors.
    (1)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant82 View Post
    I should also point out that most of the time unless a post or original post gets 10+ likes you it goes relatively unnoticed. So far you guys have 2 on this one and 5 on the other. Best of luck in your endeavors.
    Well that is another issue, considering the majority of people who even want this aren't playing the game, it's almost impossible to get enough likes without some sorts of advertisement on the players part. Even worse considering that statistics are usually released at some point for active users that actually use the forums, and for most games it's like 10% give or take.
    (1)

Player
    Well that is another issue, considering the majority of people who even want this aren't playing the game, it's almost impossible to get enough likes without some sorts of advertisement on the players part. Even worse considering that statistics are usually released at some point for active users that actually use the forums, and for most games it's like 10% give or take.
    True, most of the people who are interested in a classic server have no real way of having their voices heard concerning the matter. But like you've said, the forums represent only a minority of the players opinions. Think of all the players who are currently subscribing that would be interested in the idea, but don't post on the forums. Or all of the potential players outside of the game that are interested in the idea but are unable to express their views because they're unable to post here.

Classic servers have proven to be successful, especially in Lineage 2's case. If it could financially benefit the overall development of the game, I don't see the harm in gauging interest in the idea of a classic server with some sort of community or public poll.
    (0)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast