Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Server

Player

Classic Server

Hello, this is a thread intended for direct feedback to the devs/community team (as there is no way that I am aware of to send feedback directly) not meant to be a topic of debate.

I would like to request that, if possible, the devs make available one FFXI server that is set to an earlier patch date. Specifically, the furthest along patch when the level cap was 75 before the addition of the back to back repeatable grounds of valor/fields of valor (as book burns are against the idea of the 'classic' experience).

This is something that a number of other games have offered (the main ones that come to mind are everquest progression servers which are similar but slightly different from what I am asking, and runescape classic functionality, there is also a lineage 2 classic server) and I think something that would be great to offer here.

This server would be a single server with a different patch or a rule set that makes everything since the intended patch not exist on the server. This could be done at the same time as making other server changes like server consolidation for population purposes.

As a huge fan of the game you have made, please look into seeing if this is possible. If it is not, then it is what it is but this would be a great thing for some of us out there.

Please support this with a like.

note: Please stop speaking as to the developers limitations as I highly doubt you or anyone in here knows the details of them. If you're wrong about the developers limitations then you are just spreading useless misinformation, if you are right about them then we still end up with nothing because it is unconfirmed and unofficial. Let the devs speak for themselves should they choose to, its not your responsibility as a member of the community to do so.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    (23)
    Last edited by Natasha; 09-16-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    That would be reset to 2009 I guess, because Aby arrived in early 2010.

Would you like the reset to include "no level-synch" and no "auto gear-scaling" for capped events? And how do you think that 2014 lower server numbers would provide enough people to fill parties on the correct job / level / time of day. If this server was small (I think it would be) who would synth all the correct cap armors / weapons required for levelling-up and for engaging in capped events without gear-scaling.

Quite honestly my years 2004-2009 on Remora were my happiest days in Vanadiel, I liked the level 75 cap etc. So its not that I don't see your point of view. I just wonder how the lower player numbers in 2014, and the even lower numbers on an optional retro niche server, would have enough bodies to fill regular xp parties with the right levels / jobs / timezones etc. and how those small server numbers would farm the mats and synth the gear for all the level-capped parties.
    (6)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post

Would you like the reset to include "no level-synch" and no "auto gear-scaling" for capped events? And how do you think that 2014 lower server numbers would provide enough people to fill parties on the correct job / level / time of day. If this server was small (I think it would be) who would synth all the correct cap armors / weapons required for levelling-up and for engaging in capped events without gear-scaling.

Quite honestly my years 2004-2009 on Remora were my happiest days in Vanadiel, I liked the level 75 cap etc. So its not that I don't see your point of view. I just wonder how the lower player numbers in 2014, and the even lower numbers on an optional retro niche server, would have enough bodies to fill regular xp parties with the right levels / jobs / timezones etc. and how those small server numbers would farm the mats and synth the gear for all the level-capped parties.
    Well, as you say there are risks but its something I think should be tried anyway. If it doesn't work, whats the worst that could happen? They shut the classic server down and ppl go back to the current ones. Personally though, I think theres a lot of potential for this to work, as there being only 1 server there would likely be a few people from all the current servers that swap over and I think we would even draw in some returning players who long for the old school ways. As for the level sync, while I was not a fan of it when it was added I think it should stick for this classic server on your point actually that we may have fewer players there so having tools like that may be needed. I think that still supports the classic but makes it approachable with lesser means which is more mandatory now than when it was originally added.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Well, as you say there are risks but its something I think should be tried anyway. If it doesn't work, whats the worst that could happen? They shut the classic server down and ppl go back to the current ones. Personally though, I think theres a lot of potential for this to work, as there being only 1 server there would likely be a few people from all the current servers that swap over and I think we would even draw in some returning players who long for the old school ways. As for the level sync, while I was not a fan of it when it was added I think it should stick for this classic server on your point actually that we may have fewer players there so having tools like that may be needed. I think that still supports the classic but makes it approachable with lesser means which is more mandatory now than when it was originally added.
    It does sound like an interesting experiment... I would love to see the results of a 2009-era server with everyone starting from the 6 level 1 starter jobs. (Since I'm figuring that you wouldn't be able to transport your toon you currently have over).
    (2)

Character
    Ruzoko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to have a server that's a pre-aby one, i preferred those days to afterwards. As for the concern for how the small server would operate SE would hopefully take some of the improvements to the game and implement them to it, as you said level sync the gear scaling and such, the hours of waiting for a party because I wasn't around the level I can do without lol.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    So it sounds like it is not a "full reset" to those times, but basically level 75 and all old systems, except gear scaling and level synch, which would be included despite being more modern additions.

You would probably need to keep some of the level-specific casket-drop armors/weaps, and maybe a RoE-type NPC who sells lvl 1-75 basic armor/weaps. Because if everyone is xping and doing events on the old slowmode system, you aren't going to have enough people synthing and farming all the mats for making gear. Sure there will be some people fulltiming the synthesis lifestyle, but probably not enough to provide all the level-specific gear for a whole server.

The other problem I can see is people who have built RME past lvl 75 lol. Those people are not going to join your server, and lose all the work they did.

Its a nice idea though and I'm sure quite a few people would be interested.
    (0)

Player
    So it sounds like it is not a "full reset" to those times, but basically level 75 and all old systems, except gear scaling and level synch, which would be included despite being more modern additions.

You would probably need to keep some of the level-specific casket-drop armors/weaps, and maybe a RoE-type NPC who sells lvl 1-75 basic armor/weaps. Because if everyone is xping and doing events on the old slowmode system, you aren't going to have enough people synthing and farming all the mats for making gear. Sure there will be some people fulltiming the synthesis lifestyle, but probably not enough to provide all the level-specific gear for a whole server.

The other problem I can see is people who have built RME past lvl 75 lol. Those people are not going to join your server, and lose all the work they did.

Its a nice idea though and I'm sure quite a few people would be interested.
    I would prefer to avoid having those kinds of vendors in the server at least at the start and add them if it is needed when the population flattens out. There are already at least a few places to get supplementary gear such as normal gil vendors and conquest points etc. Also idk, I personally have an i119 apocalypse and several other RME things and I welcome dropping it all to go back.
    (0)

Between the low population now, and the cost of maintaining two different forks of the game (because new bugs will be found in that seperate server version), that's a very large risk, with the resources we have now. They're already accellerated to monthly patches, versus the 3-4 a year they were doing before Abyssea, and with fewer staff to do so. It would harm the more populated version of the game to do so. There's also concern that the current player base has aged on average, and now has less free time to do things, hence the QoL improvements they are doing. Something like this is better done by the community running unofficial servers, because they're doing it as a hobby, rather than requiring a lot of payment to do it, and there can be a larger dev team involved.
    (4)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Neferflash
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    They wont do it for 2 reasons:

1- It will cost them time and won't get any money for that

2- It will split an already low game population which will be VERY bad for the standard game
    (5)

Character
    Ruzoko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectreman View Post
    They wont do it for 2 reasons:

1- It will cost them time and won't get any money for that

2- It will split an already low game population which will be VERY bad for the standard game
    Money = possibly
    Split a low game population = doubtful
    Many left as is DUE to the fact abyssea and the aftermath was introduced including myself. It's a possibility a server of the original layout of ffxi would attract many players back seeing as I myself have spoken to many people who all agree they wish FFXI had not changed post 75
    (2)

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast