Thread: Classic Server

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanisher View Post
    That depends on how it's implemented. It would be easy to implement updates to the custom worlds I've talked about. It would be up to each Custom World holder to enable the new updates or keep the old settings. So updates for a custom world will be available if they are wanted on the Custom World. I also mentioned that the server holder would be able to add custom content and items, so it wouldn't be without updates. This would in all make private servers less of a thing, and SE would keep the support they need to keep the game running.
    It can't get updates because it wouldn't be classic anymore. Everyone keeps citing a particular time they'd like to go back to. But it can't stay that way AND get updates.

And frankly, when you realize all the nice things the current game has, even if you don't like level 99 or item level, When you go to a server on an old version of the game and realize how much you depended on those features, the old version becomes a lot less appealing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Krashport View Post
    Couldn't SE just let us set our levels to anything and be done with it. I mean then we wouldn't need a Classic Server.
    I keep saying this. Idk why tehy dont allow that. maybe they think it would be too abuseable in some way that I don't understand, idk.
    (1)

Character
    Vanisher
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It can't get updates because it wouldn't be classic anymore. Everyone keeps citing a particular time they'd like to go back to. But it can't stay that way AND get updates.

And frankly, when you realize all the nice things the current game has, even if you don't like level 99 or item level, When you go to a server on an old version of the game and realize how much you depended on those features, the old version becomes a lot less appealing.
    I'm talking about Custom worlds, not a classic server. A potential outcome of a Custom World however, can be a classic server. Or it can be a default server with additional content. My point is, that you can start a Custom World and add/remove content to your liking. But the original game will allways be the default. It's a more flexible solution than just having a classic server option.

But I don't see the problem if people want to play without updates. If some players don't like it anymore, they can just do a world transfer. I play ES Oblivion to this day, and it hasn't had updates for a long time. Each to his/her own.

Personally I like the grinding, and struggle to level jobs and group together to do missions or BCNM's etc. It makes more sense, and makes the small things very rewarding. A form of classic server, would make more sense to me. But that's me, and I might not be alone.
    (0)
    Last edited by Vanisher; 05-14-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanisher View Post
    I'm talking about Custom worlds, not a classic server. A potential outcome of a Custom World however, can be a classic server. Or it can be a default server with additional content. My point is, that you can start a Custom World and add/remove content to your liking. But the original game will allways be the default. It's a more flexible solution than just having a classic server option.

But I don't see the problem if people want to play without updates. If some players don't like it anymore, they can just do a world transfer. I play ES Oblivion to this day, and it hasn't had updates for a long time. Each to his/her own.

Personally I like the grinding, and struggle to level jobs and group together to do missions or BCNM's etc. It makes more sense, and makes the small things very rewarding. A form of classic server, would make more sense to me. But that's me, and I might not be alone.
    I covered this before, with STO and other MMOs actually having a whole system for custom content- but it became too burdensome over time as every time they updated the game, they had to go through all the old stuff as well as the new to make sure it all stayed compatible. It is a big undertaking to allow large scale customization of an MMO, and it's a challenge that has been taken up before, but ultimately was removed from those games because it made updating the game a lot more difficult.

(And those systems were detailed, too, you could set the stage with any area you want, spawn any enemies you want, with scripting and such, and still allow rewards and EXP to be gained, etc. You could place almost any assets from within the game into the area, enable and disable classes, abilities, etc- it was really cool)

To a certain extent, I love grinding too, and if you think there's less grind in the game now, you'd be mistaken. They dramatically accelerated the level up process, yes, but all the grinding for gear, earning job points, etc takes longer than leveling up plus earning all your merit points did before- Reaching lv99 and getting Master status takes longer than 1-75 + merits did.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-14-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Character
    Vanisher
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I covered this before, with STO and other MMOs actually having a whole system for custom content- but it became too burdensome over time as every time they updated the game, they had to go through all the old stuff as well as the new to make sure it all stayed compatible. It is a big undertaking to allow large scale customization of an MMO, and it's a challenge that has been taken up before, but ultimately was removed from those games because it made updating the game a lot more difficult.

(And those systems were detailed, too, you could set the stage with any area you want, spawn any enemies you want, with scripting and such, and still allow rewards and EXP to be gained, etc. You could place almost any assets from within the game into the area, enable and disable classes, abilities, etc- it was really cool)

To a certain extent, I love grinding too, and if you think there's less grind in the game now, you'd be mistaken. They dramatically accelerated the level up process, yes, but all the grinding for gear, earning job points, etc takes longer than leveling up plus earning all your merit points did before- Reaching lv99 and getting Master status takes longer than 1-75 + merits did.
    As I've stated before. It depends on how it's implemented. I think what I'm suggesting would work. It doesn't matter what other game it didn't work with, it has nothing to do with FFXI. The existence of the Private servers proves my point, and it can be implemented in an even better way if done by SE.

I do play the game now, and I know what you mean about grinding at 99+. But the grinding between 1 and 99 is kind of pointless now, and that's where the "Custom server" comes in. Some enjoy that particular grinding. That's what I mean.
    (0)

Character
    Rasalgethi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    (0)

Player
    Wow has 3-4 million players, ffxi has 30-40k. We are lucky it's still running and being supported.

All things considered there is really no reason to ask for this, the game already functions as a "classic" server if you want it to be. You don't have to do level cap quests, you don't have to unlock trusts. Make a linkshell with likeminded people?
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Wow has 3-4 million players, ffxi has 30-40k. We are lucky it's still running and being supported.

All things considered there is really no reason to ask for this, the game already functions as a "classic" server if you want it to be. You don't have to do level cap quests, you don't have to unlock trusts. Make a linkshell with likeminded people?
    There's a couple factors at work here. The first is SE probably doesn't want a mainline Final Fantasy game to ever be rendered unplayable (legally), and the other is it really doesn't take that many players for it to be profitable (but of course it does limit the number of staff that can be on the project).
    (0)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Maybe just reconsider a new expansion for the players who want an old school experience.
    (0)

Player
    FFXI classic

Don't activate trusts.
    Don't do any rhapsodies missions.
    Don't do any level cap quests above 75.

Almost nothing has actually changed in ffxi, you can still kill kirin as a linkshell at 75 (there is a 75 cap linkshell on asura), you can still level in groups.

The issue actually is you can't get people to play that way
    (2)

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast