Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Server

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    What happened to the poll? Assuming it was removed?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    What happened to the poll? Assuming it was removed?
    I removed it because people were trolling it with fake celebrity names. Just going to have to hope we can get a dev response anyway.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    Lol, Alhanelem still going strong that anyone disagreeing with him is personally attacking him I see.
    Actually, you're the one who's doing that, not me. You've branded anyone who disagrees you as wrong. I, on the contrary, have not done that. I have not declared anyone disagreeing with me in this thread as personally attacking me. Not once in this thread. Where you're getting that impression, I have no idea.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 09-16-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    I removed it because people were trolling it with fake celebrity names. Just going to have to hope we can get a dev response anyway.
    Hmm, that sucks, hopefully we will get something. Wouldn't get our hopes up sadly.
    (0)

Character
    Griffinx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    If they made one oldschool server, would all the current casuals quit? no.... So any of them to even come in here blabbing is hilarious. I also find it so funny that all these haters seem to have a full knowledge of SE's financial situation and love to tell us how it isn't possible because of this or that, like they know what they're talking about, no they're just shooting shit out cause they love to argue. Just give us the option to play the old game that we loved.
    (1)

Character
    Seig
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Actually, you're the one who's doing that, not me. You've branded anyone who disagrees you as wrong. I, on the contrary, have not done that. I have not declared anyone disagreeing with me in this thread as personally attacking me. Not once in this thread. Where you're getting that impression, I have no idea.
    I know me and you have had our disagreements in the past but I just made this exact point in the other thread about bringing back classic servers. I have been trying to be nice about it but this is one of the main reasons I have not been joining the debate on these threads.
    (1)
    Last edited by mattkoko; 09-17-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkoko View Post
    I know me and you have had our disagreements in the past but I just made this exact point in the other thread about bringing back classic servers. I have been trying to be nice about it but this is one of the main reasons I have not been joining the debate on these threads.
    Most people that are against the idea of a classic server aren't basing their reasoning on logic or evidence. They're assuming a classic server wouldn't work because of how they feel about it. Whenever I mention the potential success of a classic server, my reasoning is based on some sort of established precedent, along with an article to substantiate my claims. For example...

1. "A classic server wouldn't be successful in today's market."

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...l=1#post524499

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...819#post524819

Lineage 2 found great success when adding subscription-based classic servers, more than anyone could've hoped. They only planned on having one, but ended up adding three due to popularity. Now they're expecting multiple international classic servers, doubling that number from three to six, and receiving tons of hype from the international community.

2. "It's just nostalgia. Nobody would be interested that type of gameplay anymore."

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...l=1#post525189

Dragon Quest X is identical in nearly every aspect to how this game used to play, right down to grinding experience in camps with other players. They've already surpassed the one million sales mark, and just recently, 3DS shipments had to be postponed because of how many players were logging on simultaneously.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    Most people that are against the idea of a classic server aren't basing their reasoning on logic or evidence. They're assuming a classic server wouldn't work because of how they feel about it. Whenever I mention the potential success of a classic server, my reasoning is based on some sort of established precedent, along with an article to substantiate my claims. For example...

1. "A classic server wouldn't be successful in today's market."

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...l=1#post524499

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...819#post524819

Lineage 2 found great success when adding subscription-based classic servers, more than anyone could've hoped. They only planned on having one, but ended up adding three due to popularity. Now they're expecting multiple international classic servers, doubling that number from three to six, and receiving tons of hype from the international community.
    You have to stop making this apples to oranges comparison. Every MMORPG is different. Lineage 2 is not equal to Final Fantasy 11. Just because they had a player base interested in their classic server doesn't mean this game will too.

Further, can classic Lineage 2 run on small server populations? Would the gameplay work as well on a population of 500 as it would on a population of 3000? Because FFXI sure can't.

2. "It's just nostalgia. Nobody would be interested that type of gameplay anymore."

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...l=1#post525189

Dragon Quest X is identical in nearly every aspect to how this game used to play, right down to grinding experience in camps with other players. They've already surpassed the one million sales mark, and just recently, 3DS shipments had to be postponed because of how many players were logging on simultaneously.
    Dragon Quest 10 has high subscription numbers for the same reason classic FFXI had high subscription numbers: it's new. I guarantee you that in 10 years its numbers won't be anywhere near where it is now.

This cry for a classic server is a lot like a pyramid scheme--it relies on unrealistically optimistic projections. A pyramid scheme will make some grandiose claim like "If you send this E-Mail out to 8,000 people and they all send you $5, that's $40,000 cash! But that's if everyone does it, so let's just assume a much more conservative 1 in 8 people will send the money! That's still $5,000 and you can do it over and over!" Except 1 in 8 people won't forward the stupid chain E-Mail; virtually nobody will.

And it's like that with this classic server idea. The proponents figure some bold estimate of 10% of existing players will move, plus it'll entice players who quit to return, and somehow you'll have huge numbers. But these are huge "ifs". We have, what, half a dozen proponents of this idea on this board? Classic FFXI required thousands of players to work. Average population at a given time was around 3,000 people. There's what, 17 active servers now? On a good day, you get 1,000 people online. That's 17,000 players total on a good day If you take the excessively optimistic projection of 10%, that's still only 1700 players, and I strongly doubt you'd get that. Even then, I'd bet you anything the novelty wears off quickly.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zarchery; 09-17-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    You have to stop making this apples to oranges comparison. Every MMORPG is different. Lineage 2 is not equal to Final Fantasy 11. Just because they had a player base interested in their classic server doesn't mean this game will too.

Further, can classic Lineage 2 run on small server populations? Would the gameplay work as well on a population of 500 as it would on a population of 3000? Because FFXI sure can't.

Dragon Quest 10 has high subscription numbers for the same reason classic FFXI had high subscription numbers: it's new. I guarantee you that in 10 years its numbers won't be anywhere near where it is now.
    I think you are missing the implication. He isn't saying it is guaranteed to work, because that would be silly. Everything in life has chance to fail. What do you base you ideas off though? When trying to argue ideas, you tend to base it off someone else success. Why do you think there is so many WoW clones? Why do you think there is also WoW clones that fail? What do you suppose people for the idea would base there opinions off of? Do you hope they come into this thread, say they want it, and anyone can F off (almost similar to what the people say who are against it)? No, they provide concrete evidence of other games success rates for said things that supposedly no one wants. Does it mean it will work? Not necessarily, but you need some grounds to base the idea that this could be successful. He also clearly pointed out his intention in the beginning of his post with provided evidence, while again, every single person that has been against the idea so far hasn't provided anything valid against the idea or anything at all to support there claims (which isn't necessarily their burden of proof, but there is some strong opinions against this idea, you would think there would be more support than just their opinion). That is more-or-less where he is going with his post.

Besides trying to clarify what I felt he is trying to say, that really is what it comes down to, is how big can you get a pop on these servers, and sadly, there is no way to get accurate results from these forums. FFXI (imo) would not be the same if only a pop of 500 would to play on a server like this, hell, even a pop of what most the servers currently see I don't think would be very successful. That being said, that is another reason there is links to other companies doing such things to show that it is possible. I know from my own experience playing on EQ's progression servers that the pop was vastly larger on these servers vs a normal server. Also note that EQ is older than FFXI and they had a 4k+ pop of users online almost 24/7, actually I think it was even higher, so they had to open up a new server just to compensate for the overflow.
    (0)
    Last edited by PlumbGame; 09-17-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Ford released a mustang that looked like a classic mustang, therefor everyone will buy a classic honda civic.
    (1)

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast