Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Server

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    It may bring ppl back so it may be worth the money.

All I know is nearly our entire ls quit the game after abyssea was released and things like dynamis were destroyed. And since Adoulin/ARR the population seems to be dwindling all the more. Maybe a good ol reset on a single server would be a good choice.
    (2)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I doubt SE still has the old code to roll back to. They would essentially have to rewrite the whole thing, thus creating a new game, and I doubt they have the staff or enough interest in doing such a project.

I think a couple of the issues I do have that if something like this were to happen, there needs to be better measures in place for RMT and claim bots. Those were absolutely out of hand, and that is also something that has been huge on games that have done progression servers, RMT work their magic on them so fast.
    One such game got around that hurdle by blocking out China ISPs. Cut the amount of RMT activity by a lot.
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 09-12-2014 at 03:35 AM.
    Hello my party fellows, sorry I'm late!
    My chocobo passed out because I'm overweight.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05...rver-detailed/

Lineage 2 is currently in the process of launching three subscription-based hybrid-classic servers

Now, how is this relevant? For quite some time, there are those who have hoped that Square would release some sort of classic server for FFXI. With the recent influx of players, the aging Lineage 2 has proved that it might be worthwhile for Square to test the waters with their own hybrid-classic server. If it'll revitalize the population and bring people back, having some sort "PTS-Classic Server" to gauge the interest wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Apparently lineage 2 is also going to be hosting a classic server of sorts, lets not miss out on this SE.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Apparently lineage 2 is also going to be hosting a classic server of sorts, lets not miss out on this SE.
    Here are some more links highlighting the success of these classic servers:

Second classic server launched, with international ones being considered: http://2p.com/6773375_1/Innova-wants...by-Apophis.htm

Third classic server launched: http://i.imgur.com/e2zryGU.jpg

EU classic server confirmed: http://boards.rochand.com/viewtopic....art=350#p27507

NA classic server being considered: http://s16.postimg.org/ce6zleln9/Dear_NCsoft.png
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrothing View Post
    Here are some more links highlighting
    Thanks for hopping over, even though I broke the news a bit early. xD

Wasn't sure if you would or not.
    (1)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
    Do you really think that they don't have back ups of older versions?
    You really think Square Enix is keeping backups of 6+ year old game data for no reason other than possibly appeasing some handful of people who can't stop living in the past?
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarchery View Post
    You really think Square Enix is keeping backups of 6+ year old game data for no reason other than possibly appeasing some handful of people who can't stop living in the past?
    You think everquest, and lineage and runescape did? Yup, I don't know why you find this to be such an impossible feat when its already been done with other mmos. Do we know for sure they have them? Nope, but if they don't SE can tell us that, not players.
    (0)

Character
    Ruzoko
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    You would be surprised for the reasons old data is kept as far as im concerned as long as it doesnt affect those in favor of this new ffxi isnt a reason to be against it so would really be nice for you to X this "handful of people living in the past" all it reminds me of are those on the FFXIV forums blabbing about "go back to ffxi if you want ffxi things in ffxiv"
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Thanks for hopping over, even though I broke the news a bit early. xD
    No worries! The more exposure this gets, the better.
    (0)

Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    You really assume people just throw away stuff like this? You seriously think a professional company like SE wouldn't have back ups of EVERYTHING they have? How do you think ports for other devices happen so easily? You think stuff like Chrono Trigger was rebuilt from the ground up? Even more, do you know anything about programming, or any profession at all? Give examples I gave earlier, people don't just call it a day and throw out anything old or not relevant to current projects.
    (0)

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast