Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 207

Thread: Classic Server

  1. #11
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectreman View Post
    They wont do it for 2 reasons:

    1- It will cost them time and won't get any money for that

    2- It will split an already low game population which will be VERY bad for the standard game
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Between the low population now, and the cost of maintaining two different forks of the game (because new bugs will be found in that seperate server version), that's a very large risk, with the resources we have now. They're already accellerated to monthly patches, versus the 3-4 a year they were doing before Abyssea, and with fewer staff to do so. It would harm the more populated version of the game to do so. There's also concern that the current player base has aged on average, and now has less free time to do things, hence the QoL improvements they are doing. Something like this is better done by the community running unofficial servers, because they're doing it as a hobby, rather than requiring a lot of payment to do it, and there can be a larger dev team involved.
    And yet this was done with games in similar situations (most applicable to everquest) so it is obviously not something that is impossible. For the bugs, being that it would be using a previous or even current build of the game the bugs would be minimal. As for the age of the playerbase, a lot of people who played the game BACK THEN were in that age range and managed just fine so I am not sure why you would assume that matters especially since if they don't like it its only a server option?

    Finally, in response to it getting them no money that is just flat out incorrect. If that were the case then why do we have patches? The mmo industry is a "service" industry and offering options such is this is a service that will help to keep players or bring back old players or even possibly bring in new players.
    (0)

  2. #12
    Player bungiefanNA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    917
    Character
    Bungiefan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    They can't use a current build, as they'd have to modify it to turn off a bunch of things (Abyssea, Adoulin, the QoL improvements in the past year, new job traits and abilities, NPCs related to level 76+ content), which would make a new build, which would have new bugs. Old builds have bugs they've fixed with more recent patches. Reverting to a previous build would reintroduce those bugs.

    Also, the game client and server need to identify as matching versions. Notice that the test server required a seperate install.
    (3)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

  3. #13
    Player PlumbGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    233
    Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    It won't split the community, in fact, most CURRENT players are perfectly content with the CURRENT game. This is more of an opportunity to bring back players. If Everquest is any example to use, a time-locked/progression server is very successful. In fact, most the players that came back played on both the specific server type AND the normal servers. So it can actually grab more attention towards what SE is doing with the game. I also think "splitting" the currennt population is irrelevant considering content now and days is only done with 6 people. Anyways, the idea of a server like this is great, one issue with receiving feedback for it though is the people who would love this server aren't around these forums. Which actually leads into another issue, SE would have to do some type of promotion to "experience FFXI during it's pinnacle" and crap like that.

    The real issue is the money. If they invested time to do something like this, would they make a profit? From 2 different experiences, I personally believe so, RO's progression server, and EQs progression server were both examples of success. Do I think it could work for FFXI? Definitely, matter of fact, I'm willing to bet with the current state of a lot of the players in FFXIV feel like they have nothing to do, might jump at the opportunity to play FFXI during the beginning eras again during their downtime in 14 (promotion example).

    Ultimately, I would love a server like this. I feel SE could make it a success. Will they do it though? Really hard to say, maybe they have something in the works. I mean look at all the campaigning they do to bring back players already, what's to say something like this isn't already on the agenda?
    (1)

  4. #14
    Player PlumbGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    233
    Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    They can't use a current build, as they'd have to modify it to turn off a bunch of things (Abyssea, Adoulin, the QoL improvements in the past year, new job traits and abilities, NPCs related to level 76+ content), which would make a new build, which would have new bugs. Old builds have bugs they've fixed with more recent patches. Reverting to a previous build would reintroduce those bugs.

    Also, the game client and server need to identify as matching versions. Notice that the test server required a seperate install.
    Do you really think that they don't have back ups of older versions? The only real issue is making sure older versions are compatible with windows 7/8. Companies, and people in general don't just throw out old stuff. Even more so, anyone that programs can tell you this especially in this kind of field. You think lawyers would get done with a lawsuit and just throw away everything relevant to that case? It's a way of life, almost like writing in a journal or something. There is some valid arguments to why SE shouldn't do this, but I guarantee what you are saying isn't one of them.

    Better way to explain it. SE makes older version of FFXI compatible with current operating systems. SE just re-implements everything that wait for it......... already exists.
    (1)

  5. #15
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    They can't use a current build, as they'd have to modify it to turn off a bunch of things (Abyssea, Adoulin, the QoL improvements in the past year, new job traits and abilities, NPCs related to level 76+ content), which would make a new build, which would have new bugs. Old builds have bugs they've fixed with more recent patches. Reverting to a previous build would reintroduce those bugs.

    Also, the game client and server need to identify as matching versions. Notice that the test server required a seperate install.
    Note again that this has been done with games in a similar situation (everquest is even older than ffxi) so its definitely possible. Further, please stop speaking as to the developers limitations as I highly doubt you or anyone in here knows the details of them. If you're wrong about the developers limitations then you are just spreading useless misinformation, if you are right about them then we still end up with nothing because it is unconfirmed. Let the devs speak for themselves should they choose to, its not your responsibility as a member of the community to do so.
    (0)

  6. #16
    Player Ris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    63
    Character
    Risvertasashi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    I don't know, I would prefer the devs' limited time and resources be put into the mainstream FFXI.

    They probably do have the old versions' archives but it's not as simple as just throwing it on some server somewhere. People will still expect support, and if it catches on they'll want seasonal events and other content ported to it... And isn't there a lot of long term progression goals in FFXI right now for people that want to do that kind of thing?
    (3)

  7. #17
    Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Ris View Post
    I don't know, I would prefer the devs' limited time and resources be put into the mainstream FFXI.

    They probably do have the old versions' archives but it's not as simple as just throwing it on some server somewhere. People will still expect support, and if it catches on they'll want seasonal events and other content ported to it... And isn't there a lot of long term progression goals in FFXI right now for people that want to do that kind of thing?
    As stated above, refrain from assuming the devs do not have the resources for the project as none of us know exactly what resources they have available. It would probably be better to state something like "I'm not against it as long as it doesn't interfere with the main version of the game." as that states your position while still holding the provision of 'don't do it if the cost is too great'.

    As for the second statement, FFXI right now is a very different kind of game from the final fantasy of old. Long term progression or not it isn't offering the experience that I expect from FFXI, and there are others who share this view. Not to condemn current FFXI if you like it, but its not the game I loved for many years.
    (0)

  8. #18
    Player PlumbGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    233
    Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ris View Post
    I don't know, I would prefer the devs' limited time and resources be put into the mainstream FFXI.

    They probably do have the old versions' archives but it's not as simple as just throwing it on some server somewhere. People will still expect support, and if it catches on they'll want seasonal events and other content ported to it... And isn't there a lot of long term progression goals in FFXI right now for people that want to do that kind of thing?
    This is the biggest issue I see. Would releasing said servers prevent resources from being put into mainstream FFXI? This isn't really something we can answer, because we don't really know. Like I pointed out in previous comments though, you can use what we do know from other games that have done some type of suggested server for a basis. I feel it wouldn't, because if these servers were successful, it would allow the resources to use people specifically for those servers rather than using current staff. Now, that isn't to say SE would do that, and in fact it would probably be smarter to not do that since everything is already in place if some sort of "back ups" really do exist. All they basically need to do is flip a switch. It may come with bugs which is another story, but that is also under the assumption that those bugs didn't already have some sort of fix already. Since we live in a different era though with different operating systems etc. It would be safe to assume that something may be possibly bugged, though there also exists the chance that it's not. Considering though that FFXI is still alive and going, if something WAS bugged, the fixes would be phenomenally faster since there is a version of FFXI that already doesn't have said bugs.

    Also, stuff like GMs and things use to be volunteered. I don't know if that is the case anymore, and don't really care to find out, but if that is still the case, even GM activity is void. Seasonal events? How is that even an issue, most the seasonal events existed back in the days that exist now, your saying it would be harder to give said server a Christmas event over normal servers?

    Long term progression goals? I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Are you referring that people can create basically their own progression LS? If so, that is possible in a game like FFXI since nothing has been removed (well besides things like not being forced to lvl down for certain content which makes certain things basically impossible to relive), but it's just different. It's really hard to explain, and different for every person. For me, a big problem is not everyone else around me is doing the same thing, so it ruins my experience, almost like whats the point. Also, given the choice, I would rather take the easier route than make my life harder. The game, although content still exists, has significantly changed, from certain unique NMs have significantly reduced spawn timers, and exp rates through the roof, even just grinding mobs, 25% increased base movement etc. A lot of that stuff can't just be removed trying to create your own time-locked expansion LS or something.
    (2)

  9. #19
    Player PlumbGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    233
    Character
    Dravidian
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I think a couple of the issues I do have that if something like this were to happen, there needs to be better measures in place for RMT and claim bots. Those were absolutely out of hand, and that is also something that has been huge on games that have done progression servers, RMT work their magic on them so fast.
    (3)

  10. #20
    Player Ris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    63
    Character
    Risvertasashi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    As stated above, refrain from assuming the devs do not have the resources for the project as none of us know exactly what resources they have available. It would probably be better to state something like "I'm not against it as long as it doesn't interfere with the main version of the game."
    I guess I can't really complain when you say it like that, but even if the cost is small... I don't mean that they don't have the resources, but I do think that those resources would come out of FFXI's total budget. Like they're not going to hire anyone new for it...

    So my feedback to the devs is please keep focusing on the mainstream game (unless you could hire someone new to work on side projects that don't add to the main game).
    (0)

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast