Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Server

Character
    Crazyvic
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    After square enix saw Classic-Wow BETA break the internet even was the #1 on twitch for a day. Im sure they will release a FFXI classic server. TERA already is working on that LOL

I dont miss the "Lving process on FFXI" or the horrible limit break quests but i really miss the end game: Sky, Sea, einherjar, dynamis, limbus, KSNM99 the merit parties. You had a great variety of end game content and obtaining gear felt a lot more special.

There are a lot of stuff i love of the "RETAIL FFXI" the idea you can farm ur own ultimate weapons, the idea you can get lv 99 alone, the idea with certain jobs + trusts you can solo 75% of the escha/reinsejima mobs etc.

But i like the idea of a classic server until WoTG expansion to be honest. This server will stay forever on that expansion and square enix do not have provide any extra content affecting the updates of Retail. Just pay the electric bill every month
    (2)
    Last edited by CrAZYVIC; 05-21-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I don't think a classic server is even possible? It's a PS2 game, ported to a PC, think of all that original code they would have to go over, they would need PS2 dev kits, which they have said are in short supply. It's just not as simple as WOW.
    (0)

Player
    The devs have already flat out said this is never happening.. Why won't this stupid idea die?
    (2)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Player
    Here is what will happen if Square made a classic server:

The game would become unprofitable and would close in a couple of years.

They would have to split resources between two versions of the game when it's only JUST able to be profitable as it is. It would mean less updates for the main version of FFXI, to work on a "classic server" and that would cause people again to unsub from the main version due to lack of content. The game already has a skeleton crew working on it, and they are supposed to stretch even thinner?

There is no mass army of people who want to play classic, it's really that simple. I'm on Asura, there are no people wanting to do old-school XP, if there were they would be shouting right now. Wow has 3-4 million subscribers, if only 1% of them want classic it's worth doing. That's not the case here.

This is like to getting a health scare from your doctor and then wanting to take on a 2nd mortgage on a new house the next day. We only recently got the all clear that Square want to keep FFXI running as long as possible now we goto this nonsense?

Wow can afford this, and wow has a reason to have a changed version (ffxi right now IS clasic if you don't do level cap quests and don't get trusts), FFXI DOES NOT.

https://gamerescape.com/2019/05/23/t...d-yoji-fujito/
    (3)
    Last edited by Pixela; 05-23-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Why a "server"?

Personally, this is not something that interests me, however...

An opt in "mode" could be added into the current game and servers, kind of like an enhanced level sync system. This would offer that player, under that "status" a classic experience.

That would be a lot 'easier' to implement.

In Layman's Terms, a hypothetical situation:
    Player on Asura speaks to a designated NPC;
    Player is now in "Classic mode", and has a little icon above their head;
    All content which existed in 'whatever is considered/established as classic' can ONLY be accessed, no 'modern content' can be accessed. EXP with this special status is limited to what it was in 'classic times'.
    No need for additional servers, no need for paying attention to one 'classic server'.
    (1)

You can already play classically, start a new character and follow the old road to Lv75 without doing newer content for EXP bonuses, trusts and whatnot, just don't uncap your level, you could unlock trust just because you wont find enough willing party members to continue the extremely slow classic EXP way to Lv75. And when you get there, then what?

All they need to do is add new content in some shape or form to keep the game going.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Why a "server"?

Personally, this is not something that interests me, however...

An opt in "mode" could be added into the current game and servers, kind of like an enhanced level sync system. This would offer that player, under that "status" a classic experience.

That would be a lot 'easier' to implement.

In Layman's Terms, a hypothetical situation:
    Player on Asura speaks to a designated NPC;
    Player is now in "Classic mode", and has a little icon above their head;
    All content which existed in 'whatever is considered/established as classic' can ONLY be accessed, no 'modern content' can be accessed. EXP with this special status is limited to what it was in 'classic times'.
    No need for additional servers, no need for paying attention to one 'classic server'.
    It's been suggested many times- a simple feature that would allow you to arbitrarily level cap yourself without needing another person at the level you want to sync to would make it a lot easier for people to experience any content at its original level of difficulty and with the appropriate skills/gear for the time.

We already have level sync and also a level restriction status, so the back end mechanics for such a thing already exist. All we need is the ability to have these things whenever we want to have them. I honestly have no idea why we don't already have this kind of functionality. No special server would be needed.
    (0)

Character
    Questaru
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Please release 75 cap classic server SE, thx !!
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    technically a classic server would be 50 cap, because it wasnt 75 until some time after rise of the zilart came out.

But no thanks. It wouldn't work well for this game because of how absurdly grindy it is compared to any other MMO, even classic WoW, and its just not famous enough. And I like the current game and wouldn't want even a small number of players to be taken from it. Besides, it was the community aspect that made the game more fun than it probably should have been, swapping stories and stuff in your 6 man EXP parties (something that basically no MMO has anymore) while you beat up on crab after crab and mandy after mandy. Unless it was massively successful beyond your wildest dreams, that community aspect just wouldn't be restored. Plus we've all beaten all the content before so it wouldn't be the same.

Funny enough in WoW classic there's a shocking number of people turbo burning through the content as fast as possible, not realizing it's not going to get any further updates once they reach the patch before burning crusade. So it's going to be a novelty that will wear off once it stagnates.
    (2)

Character
    Drumskull
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuzey View Post
    I don't think a classic server is even possible? It's a PS2 game, ported to a PC, think of all that original code they would have to go over, they would need PS2 dev kits, which they have said are in short supply. It's just not as simple as WOW.
    how is it not possible when there are 2 private servers emulating it already 1 with 500-700 and the other peaks 800-1.2k?

i would honestly pay 30 dollars a month for a classic server.
    (1)

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast